So, what's your I.Q?

by nakedmvistar 95 Replies latest jw friends

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I am posting this reply without reading many of the posts, because I think it is HIDEOUS people want to compare their intelligence based on tests.

The reason that I say this is because my own Grandmother didn't have a college education, but she taught me more about the cycles of life, based on her own observations over 80 years than any agrarian acadamian could have! Granted, some of what she said was based in old wives' tales, but mostly what she taught me about raising a garden, animals, etc. came from her own observations and those of the other farmers I have hung out with over the years. There is *no* substitute for hands on experience, and I have learned more from these older people than I would have learned in an agrarian environment in forty years. I think their absolute "street" knowledge was far more valuable to me than anything I have learned in books or at school.

There's different levels of intelligicence and the value we put on them. I have, as an interested Country Girl, learned a lot about life and life cycles from my old friends.. and I value that beyond belief from what I could have learned in books or at school. They may not be "book smart" but they're sure smart about teh cycles of life here.

I understand that sometiems people want to "measure" their intelligence and compare it with others.. Why don't people take stock of what they *do* know instead of what they DONT know? Would't that be more positive?

CG

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Sounds like your grandma had an off-the-charts high IQ, Country Grrl.

Six- Hideous Kinky class

• nakedmvistar
    nakedmvistar

Interesting posts! I guess it doesn't matter how "big" your I.Q is...It's what you do with what you've got...Hmmmm, I Should have started a topic on who's got the biggest weener....same thang!

• shera
    shera

All my tests were done in school and one with a doctor.Never took mensa test.

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Shera,

I took my test when I was at university (15 years ago?). They said that it was accepted on CVs, and that it was a government-accepted IQ test.

The NHS endorsed it.

Spanner

• larc
    larc

Country Girl, you contrast the knowledge and experience of your grandmother with agrarian academics. You imply that book learning is inferior to other forms of learning. Perhaps a combination of the two is best. An example of this is an early pioneer in soil conservation and the restoration of depleated land, Louis Bromfield. He had two years of formal education in agrigculture, then later spent considerable time in experiments in the restoration of a depleted farm to full self sufficiency. He later wrote a book about his findings which had a great impact on farmers around the world. Besides the useful combination of formal education and hands on learning, his story proves another point. Simple farming experience alone doesn't cut it, otherwise the farms in his area would have been in such deplorable condition. Another point is that hands on learning should be written in a book so others can benefit from those experiences. If book learning is insufficient, then it may mean that right book has not been written yet.

• donkey
    donkey

I ate my IQ.

Hey I am just a dumb Donkey - gimme some latitude please...

• larc
    larc

Hey there brother Donkey, you don't need to play the humble pie card. You are as sharp as a tack. I know that, because I agree with your opinions, ergo, you must be brilliant!

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Larc said:

Country Girl, you contrast the knowledge and experience of your grandmother with agrarian academics. You imply that book learning is inferior to other forms of learning. Perhaps a combination of the two is best. An example of this is an early pioneer in soil conservation and the restoration of depleated land, Louis Bromfield. He had two years of formal education in agrigculture, then later spent considerable time in experiments in the restoration of a depleted farm to full self sufficiency. He later wrote a book about his findings which had a great impact on farmers around the world. Besides the useful combination of formal education and hands on learning, his story proves another point. Simple farming experience alone doesn't cut it, otherwise the farms in his area would have been in such deplorable condition. Another point is that hands on learning should be written in a book so others can benefit from those experiences. If book learning is insufficient, then it may mean that right book has not been written yet.

I didn't mean to imply that at all, larc. If so, I am truly sorry! I wanted to say that at some level, my Grandmother imparted a very valuable knowledge to me from her own observations and that that hands on experience was something that I might not have learned had I been in a purely academic situation. I love that kind of knowledge, however I temper it with what I *do* know to be true about soil depletion, conservation, and environmental issues. I am very careful about what I put into my land and am an organic gardener and a responsible steward of my land and livestock. What I was really trying to say is that her knowledge, even though she didn't have a college education, was something that was valuable to me that she had acquired over the many years of her life: her own experiences and observations. She was very observant about life: it's cycles, tiny changes in things in her world, and didn't shy from asking about things and looking up things in books. I think she was highly gifted, but she didn't have an IQ test to prove it. And yes, a combination of the two is even more valuable!

I think what I was really trying to imply is that everyone has a different type of intelligence and that our IQ's aren't tied in with what we necessarily KNOW and DONT KNOW.. ya know? <grin> There are some pretty smart folks out there, but sometimes I wonder if the common sense train didn't stop in their town. Heheheh. I just am grateful to the many people in my life who don't necessarily have way off the charts IQ's (well, I dunno) but have shared their gifts of experience with me. Lots of you here, included!

Yes.. and a book should be written... any takers?

CG

• mebeme
    mebeme

131....visual learner. My daughter is an audio learner...Since she was a baby she used to be able to lip sync any and all commercials, songs etc.....Me my visual approach slows me down because I am sizing up clothing, and all other visual stuff in a room etc and always have to catch up to the conversation gg on. Wow some of you guys are really smart.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit