So, what's your I.Q?

by nakedmvistar 95 Replies latest jw friends

• Focus
    Focus

Farkel,

To many posters, you can be a major asshole. Just as I am. Certainly not to the same set of posters, but the groups are not all that disparate either.

And this will be new news to you exactly as much as it is to me.

It was my surprise that the utterer in question managed to get something right (his having got most everything else wrong) that prompted the reference.. also, to debunk a false claim, reported from elsewhere, that the highlighted derogatory term had never been employed against anyone through the same utterer's account).

I agree that martyrdom suits us equally, Bro' Farks!

--
    Focus
    (Major Asshole Class)

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

This looks like a "show me yours and I'll show you mine" type of topic.

Of course, "mine" will always be bigger!!!!

Cheers, Ozzie

• onacruse
    onacruse

hehe...for the record, the geocities link I posted, and on which I got a perfect score, was to a test called "Idiot's Quotient."

Craig

Edited by - onacruse on 14 December 2002 1:3:30

• larc
    larc

Some comments regarding the left brain - right brain discussion. For right handed people, they use their right brains more when engaged in creative activities, when fantasizing, and when calling up imagery. They use their left brains more when engageing in sequential, analytical, and/or logical activities. For left handed people the hemispheres are reversed in their orientation. There are tests that show individual differences in how much functioning particular people engage in, i.e., logical, analytical thought versus creative imagery driven thought. However, to say that a person is right brained or left brained is a misnomer. We all use all parts of our brains during any particular day, despite our inidvidual proclivities or preferences. Thus, I would not say that the terms are not necessaryily outdated, but misused sufficiently to make them invalid. Someone wrote that tests are only used with children. This is a major use, but there are several tests that are designed for adults. Their major use is in clinical settings and in personnel selection. They are useful tools in both applications. For those of you who have very high scores, but modest jobs, I must ask, why don't you apply for better jobs and/or get more education? I am sure you would qualify for either. While I am here, I thought I would give you some bench marks. If you obtain a score of 110, then only 25% of the population score higher than you, at 115, only 17% score higher, at 130, 2.5% score higher, and at 145, one in 200 scores higher. For 160, I would have to get out my statistical tables, because the number is not in my head - I would guess it at one in at least a thousand. From the verbal facility demonstrated here, I would guess the average for the group is at least 115, with many with much higer scores.

Edited by - larc on 14 December 2002 1:21:37

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    For those of you who have very high scores, but modest jobs, I must ask, why don't you apply for better jobs and/or get more education?

Because, larc, a high I.Q. is not a measure of a person's common sense.

Employers may be looking for as much of that as for knowledge. I.Q. comes further down the list of job qualifications.

Cheers, Ozzie

• larc
    larc

Ozzie, most of the people that I know who are bright, had common sense, but then again, I may have not been exposed to a representative sample of bright people, since the ones I know have good jobs. Even though you may be right, there is no test that I know of to measure common sense. For the posters here who are bright but are not well paid, do you lack common sense? Is that the problem? I am not trying to be insulting, I just would like to see bright people do better for themselves. One other comment: Ozzie, tests of mental alertness are the best predictors of success on the job. No other test or measure does as well.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

The reason for my comment is based on my own experience. Many years ago, I was an executive of a multi-national and needed to employ other senior and responsible staff. (This was before I went bush and became a gentleman farmer.) Anyway, I found that all the paper qualifications in the world didn't mean much when the new employee was just not "with it".

The degrees and testing had a place, of course, but were by no means my only requirements.

And, boy, there's been some absolutely stupid people in my experience with many a paper qualification.

My own high IQ doesn't make me any better than anyone else, nor does it mean tuppence, as the poms would say, when it comes to leading our lives.

There was a time when I ego-tripped on my IQ. I'm older and I hope wiser now.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    For those of you who have very high scores, but modest jobs, I must ask, why don't you apply for better jobs

Post traumatic stress syndrome as a result of an incestuous and emotionally neglectful family followed by a rigidly controlling and repressive cult experience. No whining. Just the way it worked out.

• larc
    larc

Ozzie, I understand your point, and your experience rings true. The tests and the qualifications increase the odds that a candidate is a good one, but I know full well that there is no guarantee. Even if a testing program increases the number of effective employess from 50% to 70% which is about the average, you still have 30% that may be no good. The reasons for some not working out are varied. Now, if you do ever come up with a good test of common sense you could become a rich man. I am not kidding when I say this. I think there are a number of reasons why people fail on the job e.g., alcohol abuse, neurotic personality problems, a bad career fit in terms of a person's interest, etc. Question for you: can common sense be taught? Can an apprentice be put with a journeyman or mentor and learn it? I don't know the answer to this question, just asking. By the way, this got me interested. I may do some research on this subject.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Even though I have always scored high, I still think IQ tests don't mean much. If they did, I think I would have more money.

Robyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit