What if the U.N doesn't find anything in Iraq?

by kril 83 Replies latest jw friends

• YERU2
    YERU2

Realist,

One last question, why did Israel take over the West Bank and the Gaza in 1967 for? Was it a big land grab on their part or did it have anything to do with the unrelenting attacks on Israel by Arab terrorists using these areas as bases?

Again, read all the histories. I grant you the BBC's 500,000 figure, I conceded that point. BUT it was speaking of Palestine in 1900. In 1900 Palestine consisted of present day Israel with the territories, Jordan, Lebenon, and a large hunk of Syria. Ya can't read backwards into history.

Again, if Palestine could gaurantee the Borders of Israel there would now be peace. The Palestinians are either unable (I suspect) or unwilling (I highly suspect) to garauntee Israel's security.

• Realist
    Realist

Yeru,

who was responsible for the war in 67 is highly debateable. fact is the israelis started the war...in a so called preemptive strike (please remember that the preemptive strike of the germans against the polish and later the russians is not considered ok...why?). israel also occupied the sinai but was forced to withdraw in the yom kippur attack. since most of the water resources are located in the west bank it is highly reasonable to assume that occupation of this area was part of the plan if not the main reason.

it is against all resolutions and against international law to annex a foreign territory by means of war. israel has to adhere to these rules just as saddam and any other state has to.

lets forget the 500.000 for a moment....look at the numbers of 1946 before israel was created. there was a majority of arabs in the area...to create a jewish state (30% jews) against the will of 60% of the population (arabs) cannot (at least in my opinion) be the right thing to do.

http://www.palestineremembered.com/Acre/Maps/Story574.html

israel has illegally occupied the gaza strip and the west bank for some 35 years now (even according to UN resolutions...and international law)...the palestinians live in poverty and are to a large part refugees...what exactly do you expect them to do? what would you do if someone came and annext your homeland? it appears to me as if you would be one of the first to grab a weapon and shoot the invader.

have a good one!

Realist

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Realist,

it is against all resolutions and against international law to annex a foreign territory by means of war. israel has to adhere to these rules just as saddam and any other state has to.

So what. Since when has that stoped anyone? Since when did the Vietnamise, Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, the U.S., Iraq, Russia, Rwanda, Uganda, Ethiopia, Egypt, etc...etc...etc.. stop thier wars because it was against international law??

Your cause is noble but hopeless.

• Realist
    Realist

Crazy,

thats exactly what annoys the hell out of me...the US tries to be perceived as the world police...acting against any state or dictator who tries to occupy foreign land or who committs human rights violations...but israel and the US itself do not adhere to these standards whatsoever. it is exactly this double standard and screaming hyporisy that makes me wanna puke.

just loose the f****** righteous attitude and say we the US government and industry want to control the world... everyone interfereing with our interests gets annihilated... ...and i have no problem with the US.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Realist,

You said,

since most of the water resources are located in the west bank it is highly reasonable to assume that occupation of this area was part of the plan if not the main reason.

You're sounding like a Watchtower publication. Highly reasonable? This completely dismisses the relentless attacks launched from these territories against Israel and the hundreds of Jews that were killed in these attacks.

As to these UN resolutions, SO THE F**K what? Where were the UN resolutions against the occupation of these territories by Egypt, Jordan, and Syria (golan heights) who ALSO gained these territories in an aggressive war launched against a state ESTABLISHED BY THE UN.

the palestinians live in poverty and are to a large part refugees...what exactly do you expect them to do?

First, define Palestinian, are they the Arabs who were in the area before 1900, or those that immigrated later? The Arabs in the region didn't begin to identify themselves as "Palestinian" until the second half of the 20th century.

Do they live in poverty? The Egytian Yassir Arafat ain't too poor. Yes, the conditions in the camps are horrible, why hasn't Arafat used the International Aid given the PA SPECIFICALLY to improve these conditions? WHY are there still camps in the West Bank at all. The Camp in Jenin is surrounded now by a town, move out of the camps and into the towns for crying out loud. The poverty situation would be greatly reduced if the PA and the Palestinian people were a bit more active in fighting rather than supporting Hamas and Islamic Jihad, etc. Were it not for the constant attacks the Palestinians would be able to go into Israel and work and make a GOOD living wage. As it is, with the exception of Jordan, the Palestinians live worse in the surrounding Arab countries than they do in Gaza and the West Bank.

What do I expect them to do? I expect them to battle the terrorists in their midst.

The Two State Solution was offered by the United Nations. Israel accepted it, the Arabs rejected it and choose War. What were the Israelis supposed to do, be pushed into the ocean, go back to the concentration camps? Go back to Europe where the holocaust continued even after the end of the war? The Jewish people, to be secure, have to have their own country so they can defend themselves and not have to rely on the fickle good will of others. The UN established the right of Israel to exist, it also offered a Palestinian state which was rejected by the Arabs with an ALL or Nothing attitude. THERE IN LIES THE PROBLEM. That attitude hasn't changed.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Realist,

just loose the f****** righteous attitude and say we the US government and industry want to control the world... everyone interfereing with our interests gets annihilated... ...and i have no problem with the US.

By all means, dont stop with the US. Please substitute Russia, China, Imperial Japan, Nazi Germany, France (when they had some balls w/ Napoleon), Spain, England...etc....etc....

We are not the only ones Realist and thats never going to change. Peace only works when EVERYONE wants it and quite frankly no one really wants it.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

ANd NA NA DA BOO BOO!

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

It looks like the UN isn't too happy with Iraq's 12,000 page declaration. They just spoke on it, the UN, and said it was a material breach.

just to let you know, carry on........

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Yep, been watching the news all day. Problem is, even if they found a nuke on Saddam's front door some countries in the UN and some posters in this board wouldn't care. "Peace at all costs" which is a sure recipe for a HORRIBLE war.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Good. Get on with already!

This whole 12000 page declaration thing is just bullshit. Saddam should be taken out for what he's already done. What he may do in the future is just gravy.

Expatbrit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit