Reality check: World less happy about America

by Pathofthorns 91 Replies latest jw friends

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Facinating results from a global poll relating to public opinions of America in various countries around the world.

[url] http://www.torontostar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1035775217105&call_pageid=968332188854&col=968350060724[/url]

A major survey on international opinion released in Washington yesterday shows U.S. popularity has plunged across much of the world amid mounting perceptions that the United States is running roughshod over other nations. The planet's sole superpower commands only tepid affection, just as the U.S. government struggles to win international support for a possible military incursion against Iraq as the next stage in its war on terrorism.

In fact, the prospect of a U.S.-led offensive aimed at overthrowing Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein has become a major irritant between Washington and even its closest allies.

An initial international outpouring of sympathy and support for the U.S. following the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington in September, 2001, has dwindled significantly, says the report, which found that favourable assessments of the United States have declined during the past two years in 19 of the 27 countries where comparisons could be made.

"While I do not believe that we are an isolationist country, in many ways what we are about is isolating us," Albright told reporters in Washington. "The numbers actually show that we are out of step in terms of our thinking about how people see us versus the way people actually do see us."

You have to love Madeleine Albright's comment

Large numbers of respondents in many countries, including close U.S. allies, said they believed that Washington's aggressive stance toward Iraq is fuelled by a desire to control the country's oil supplies rather than by genuine concerns about Baghdad's weapons programmes or its domestic and foreign policies.

Here is the same story from the US perspective at [url] http://www.msnbc.com/news/843333.asp?0cv=CB20[/url]

U.S. President George Bush said the survey partially reflected the work of foreign propaganda machines unfairly painting the United States in a bad light.

You gotta love George Bush (me rolling my eyes)

The only way to protect our national interest is to understand the national interests of the other countries.
    MADELEINE ALBRIGHT

I don't like this lady (if she can even be called that) but she is sounding pretty good here.

Path

Edited by - Pathofthorns on 5 December 2002 7:47:46

• Realist
    Realist

great post!

i 100% agree with albright in that matter...US citizens seem oblivious about how US foreign politics is perceived by the rest of the world.

PS: LOL LOL @ BUSH !!!!

Edited by - realist on 5 December 2002 8:22:45

• Englishman
    Englishman

This is an interesting one!

The UK media is split about 50 -50 with regards to supporting / not supporting the US in any potential invasion of Iraq. But, as in all of these matters, the media is influenced by politicians who have their own private agenda's and is not a typical representation of what the people themselves feel.

In conversations with many people over the last few months, I would guess that around two thirds of them favour a strike on Iraq with the UK taking a part also. Of course, as most of those opinions come from fellow drinking partners in various pubs, one could argue that only war-mongering folk like beer, which makes my results questionable, so I will bow out of this conversation now.

Englishman.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Well I think "Halfbright" is an idiot. Less we forget that a few years ago she was sword rattling as well and wanting the American people to support Pres. Clinton's attack on Iraq. Like what has changed then from now Ms. Halfbright????? Absolutely nothing.

Just like that idiot Sen. John Kerry on "Meet the Depressed" on Sunday telling tiny Tim Russert that he is against this war with Iraq but a few short years ago he as a Senator gave a huge speech in favour of the Clinton plan to attack Iraq and voted for the Clinton plan to attack Iraq.

And look at the Clinton/Halfbright attack on Iraq. What did it accomplish?? Oh yeah .... they depleted nearly all the Cruise missels that the USA had and no more inspectors in Iraq for years.

Like give me a friggen break - like what has changed from then to now Ms. Halfbright? The administrations stance has now even forced Iraq into a hole where they had to bring back the inspectors and has put the UN on notice to do something.

As for the world not supporting the issue I guess you people haven't even noticed that the Canadian Base in Saudia Arabia is all loaded up with troops, planes and state of the art equipment (nice of the Star not to tell the Canadian people that eh!!). Why I bet a lot of you didn't even know there was a Canadian military base in Saudi land. I guess no one has noticed that a lot of eastern European countires and now Turkey have given air space clearance for the air force to fly in their air space and even Iran is going to allow US aircraft to land on their soil in an emergency. I guess know one has noticed the "wink" that Russia has given the USA on this while the USA gives Russia a free pass on the Rebbells in the southern provinces of Russia.

This article is all an effort on the Democrats side in Washington to try and "sell" a different view on this upcoming war - that will likely happen during the window of January/February 2003 as we are slowly building up our troops. Just like the Administration is selling the upcoming Iraq war not with the world ... but to the American people more than the UN.

One other point that the world seems to forget. Someone decided to knock a couple of buildings down on the lower part of that Island in New York City and killed a few thousand people (never mind hitting the "war" room and killing more in another plane crash). The American government is going after anything it feels is threatening them. Whether for political purposes or not and the majority of Americans right now seem to support it.

It would be nice if the Toronto Star (or whoever the author was) actually do some digging before they published the story.

Don't get me wrong I really don't want this war - As I think there are many ways to keep Iraq in "the box" if the world leaders would just do it. I also still have not heard about the end game yet just like the Afganistan issue - like when the hell is that going to end? And I wish they just keep the regime in the box because I sure don't want a war.

hawk

Edited by - hawkaw on 5 December 2002 8:51:51

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Hawk, while I quote the Toronto Star article, I believe this was a global survey carried out by a Washington based institution. If you pick up a copy of the Star, the graphs showing the breakdown of the statistics are quite interesting.

Regarding Ms. Albright, I stated I am not a fan of her's but found her remarks interesting in this case.

As for the world not supporting the issue I guess you people haven't even noticed that the Canadian Base in Saudia Arabia is all loaded up with troops, planes and state of the art equipment

I think if there is a Canadian base, it is probably a tent with a Tim Horton's flag flying outside I don't know if hockeysticks and a road hockey ball and a rusted out Sea King helicopter constitute "state of the art" equipment, but I'm sure we'll kick their ass somehow... LOL

Path

• Amazing
    Amazing

People who believe that the USA wants to control Iraqi oil simply fail to understand that if that is what we wanted to do, we would have by now. Nonetheless, it is far cheaper to simply keep buying oil from a country than to spend hundreds of billions to capture it and then take its oil ...

In the meantime the Iraqi govenment was found to have produced a manual on torture and rape as part of its policy on control ... yep, Mr. Hussien took notes straigt from Joseph Stalin and Adolph Hitler ... but oh no, let's not do anything but appease in full Chamberlin style ... let us not hurt poor Mr. Hussien ... and let us always worry about what the supposed polls say about what people think of the USA ...

... after all look how Mr. Hussien worrys about opinion polls when he invades, rapes, tortures ... and otherwise continues to cause mayhem ... yet, the rest of the world says we must understand his culture ... why invading other countries is in his blood ... he can't help it ... its his way ... but let USA use some political pressure with a little war talk to conduct a weapons inspection and oh my Gawd!!! The USA is eeeeevil ... why the rest of the world can't tolerate the USA being such a meany superpower ...

Its like the world is upside-down from what it used to be back when our parents fought in WWII ... maybe they should have let Hitler take Europe ... after all, the USA is such a mean, bad-spirited country run by a buch of idiots ... yes, LOL @ Bush, and Heil Hussien !!!

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

What??? Other nations in the world don't think as much of the United States and it's policies? When did this change?

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

LOL @ Drachir.

Here's a link to the source: http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=165

(The full report is available in pdf)

One phrase keeps leaping out from the reports:

People around the world both embrace things American and, at the same time, decry U.S. influence on their societies.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Expatbrit

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns
    Its like the world is upside-down from what it used to be back when our parents fought in WWII ... maybe they should have let Hitler take Europe ... after all, the USA is such a mean, bad-spirited country run by a buch of idiots ... yes, LOL @ Bush, and Heil Hussien !!!

It is this "one side or the other" type thinking that the world has not bought into but only the US. The world is very concerned about Sadaam, but does not see that it warrants going to war over at this point in time for the reasons that have so far been presented.

People who believe that the USA wants to control Iraqi oil simply fail to understand that if that is what we wanted to do, we would have by now. Nonetheless, it is far cheaper to simply keep buying oil from a country than to spend hundreds of billions to capture it and then take its oil ...

results of global survey.. % of population in each country that feels the US wants to control Iraqi oil and that this is the main reason for wanting to invade:

US- 22%
    UK- 44%
    France- 75%
    Germany- 54%
    Russia- 76%

Obviously America has not provided convincing legitimate reasons for an invasion if this many people to feel they must have "other" motives.

Path

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Thanks for the link expat.

I think many people love American culture and media etc, but at the same time feel their own culture and values are threatened by it. All in all, i think the statement you quoted is very accurate.

Path

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit