The Trinity

by meadow77 740 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• herk
    herk

Two more Baptist Illustrations of the Trinity:

• SwedishChef
    SwedishChef

Herk, you must have some strange obsession with Trinity symbols.

• SwedishChef
    SwedishChef

Oh my! The dictionary says I'm a protestant. Well we all know that the dictionary is always right. I was a fool to argue with you!

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

I have a question.

Trinitarians and Non-Trinitarians are always trying to prove the other wrong but really don't both follow the same teachings of Jesus in the Gospels? and do not both groups believe and follow the teachings of Paul?

In other words, does the belief or disbelief in the Trinity cause a major difference in how a Christian lives or follows the Christ?

IW

• SwedishChef
    SwedishChef

I must say Herk, I got a chuckle out your "refutations" to what I said.
    Each time you resorted to calling me pagan, deceitful, deceived, blind, and deliberately twisting scripture. You also made the arrogant statement of saying I was "running away" when I said it would probably be my last post. Your accusations got so ridiculous I hardly knew where you were coming from. It sounds like you wrote that while you were mad.
    I did nothing but quote Scripture, and you found that so offensive. I quoted that the Messiah has everlasting past right out of Scripture. That the Bible says there is one creator, and that Jesus created everything.
    You again said I worship three Lords, when I never said that.

Strongs literal translation
    2. |0000| And you, |3899| Bethlehem |0672| Ephratha, |6810| least |1961| being |0505| among the thousands of |3063| Judah, |0000| out of you |0000| to Me |3318| He will come forth |1961| to become |4910| one ruling |3478| in Israel, |4163| and His comings forth |6924| {have been} from of old |3117| from the days of |5769| eternity.

The word for eternity is `owlam.

or `olam {o-lawm'}; from HSN5956; properly, concealed, i.e. the vanishing point; generally, time out of mind (past or future), i.e. (practically) eternity; frequentatively, adverbial (especially with prepositional prefix) always:

When I looked at your cross reference to Micah 7:2 I found nothing to compare.

The Bible says to compare spiritual things with spiritual things.

1 Corinthians 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

This is something I don't think you have done.

• SwedishChef
    SwedishChef

And another thing, could it be that we Trinitarians all believe the same thing because we have the same spirit guiding us?

• herk
  • Earnest
    Earnest

In a previous post (Nov 30, 2002 19:33) on this thread I asked "of those who believe in the trinity as formulated by the church, how the three persons can be of one substance", as the Father is unbegotten, the Son is begotten, and the Holy Spirit is neither begotten nor unbegotten.

I appreciate the response from Undisfellowshipped. You said you do not follow the creeds but believe the Bible teaches that the Father and the Son and the Spirit all share the same Nature. That does not make them a trinity unless you were to qualify that further, which is why the creeds use the word substance (they also used "substance" as it means different things to different people ). But the question is pertinent to anyone who believes the trinity : If you do not believe that the nature of the angels is the same as the Son because they were created but he was begotten, why do you believe the nature of the Holy Spirit, who was neither created no begotten, is the same as the Son and the Father ?

Perhaps it is better not to go down this road as there is no end to the constant splitting of hairs. But it is important to think about what we actually mean when we say we believe. To simply repeat R.A.Torrey's mantra (3 times - Nov 30, 2002 15:55; Dec 1, 2002 23:12; Dec 3, 2002 17:43 - as another poster has done) that God is infinite, we are finite, and so we cannot hope to understand, is a rejection of the very purpose of scripture, which is written to enable us to understand.

Earnest

Edited by - Earnest on 3 December 2002 21:31:9

• herk
    herk

Well, well! Now we know. SwedishChef accepts the authority of the dictionary in the same way he accepts the authority of the Bible. Oh, to be so wise!

Oh my! The dictionary says I'm a protestant. Well we all know that the dictionary is always right. I was a fool to argue with you!
  • IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

I posted this a few minutes ago but it got lost.

In other words, does the belief or disbelief in the Trinity cause a major difference in how a Christian lives or follows the Christ?

Hoping someone will help out here.

Thanks.

IW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit