Is Watchtower's stance against education only for North American witnesses

by wannaexit 53 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

The wtbts is an American/English speaking religion/corporation born and raised right here in the 'good ol' USA. Education/knowledge is of course the enemy of a cult.

When the new revised NW translation came out in 2013, my wife, and nearly every other jw that I knew, were very giddy about this new bible aka silver sword. The new revised bible was proof of jehobers blessing! So, I sort of annoyed her when I pointed out that jehober must only love and bless the english speaking dubs-at least for now.

How can the 100's of other language groups possibly 'keep up with jehober's celestial chariot" when they don't have the "silver sword"?

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Sorry about my last post. Just got carried away and off point with my rant. lol

just ranting!

eyeuse2badub

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH
    @Eye  the revised translation is already avaiable in some other languages too and the nr is growing. Anyway it has always been like that... first english ,.. after that the rest of the world.
  • Chaserious
    Chaserious
    Educational systems and job opportunities differ per country. So local circumstances play a role in the decisions whether  it is wise to follow higher education or not.

That is kind of short sighted, isn't it? Whether or not to get a college education impacts not only someone's ability to immediately find work in the current job market, but the next 40-50 years of her life. Just because you can find unskilled or trade work now when you are 20 doesn't mean it will be there when you are 40.

Unless you really want to take your chances that "the end" is right around the corner, as JW who have been foregoing college for generations have.

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH
    @Chaserious i was talking about long term planning. In my country it has been like that for the last 3 decades.. people need higher education here in order to get a decent job.
  • One Last Kiss
    One Last Kiss

Nope, definitely an issue in the UK too. At the last circuit assembly I attended about 4 years ago we had an idiot of an overseer blast HE for his entire talk, explicitly stating that enrolling at a university was grounds for disfellowshipping. 

A friend called HQ to confirm this and was told it was NOT grounds, but all those who heard this moron say that it was took it as gospel and labelled checking with WT as murmuring! 

So the vogue in my area is very much anti-HE :(

• Ancientofdays
    Ancientofdays

I was reading on a European ex jw forum where some feel that watchtower's railing against higher education is primarily for North America issue. This is due that many in USA and Canada leave home to leave on campus. It was mentioned that many young european jw attend universities  and its not frowned on.

This is the main line of reasoning from many JWs here in Italy, they would like their religion not to be considered an obsurantist sect.
    My experience in 2008 , when I was MS, we held a meeting with elders and CO, and he gave a specific talk on higher education, and how to discourage parents in allowing  their children attending university.
    CO stressed a lot, really.
    Moreover I know very well and I listened to the notorious Morris talk in Italy .
    Then , there may be different situations in different congregations. For sure no privilege are assigned while a young brother is attending university.
    I know very few JWs attended  University , and almost the totality quit the "Truth" at some point during their educational cicle.

By listening Morris on tv.jw.org it is now very clear, and I'm happy they're exposed themselves, what is really scaring the Governing Body: it's especially about intellectual impact of higher education, and not sexual morality in the campus.
    It's nice when Morris tells story about the conversation with the mother of a young brother attending university : "he now believes in EVOLUTION !! ... HOW SAD"
    That makes clear what they really are : herald of obscurantist ideology. This is SAD !
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Anthony Morris doesn't need an education anymore sense he knows he has a high level privileged job for the rest of his life being the executive director of the Billion dollar rich Watchtower Publishing house.  

He seems to be doing well since he wearing an expensive suit complete with French cuff tailored shirt.  

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Phizzy - "I found it ironic that Tony Tightpants on JW Broadcasting uses the writings of Paul to oppose Higher Education, the writings of a man who received one of the most advanced educations of his time."

The Far Right Wing would be proud.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Ancientofdays - "For sure no privileges are assigned while a young brother is attending university."

Probably just as well, considering the workload of classes, homework, and cramming for exams.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit