Is Watchtower's stance against education only for North American witnesses

by wannaexit 53 Replies latest jw friends

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I was reading on a European ex jw forum where some feel that watchtower's railing against higher education is primarily for North America issue. This is due that many in USA and Canada leave home to leave on campus. It was mentioned that many young european jw attend universities  and its not frowned on.

I found this odd because I heard what Morris and Losch said about education in Italy. I don't believe its just a worry about kids living on campus as much as a worry that once they go to university watchtower loses its grip on them.

Any thoughts?

• oppostate
    oppostate

Yes, I tend to agree. Also the cost factor for American Schools makes paying loans back a long process. The WT doesn't want all those dollars going elsewhere, they'd rather make use of young and healthy publishers in the search for more converts, and keep them busy in Theocratic activities so their attentions aren't diverted to thinking about their futures and a career outside the WT.

Yup, it's a cult.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

This one's easy to answer.

The Europeans aren't as gullible as their U. S. counterparts.

• hoser
    hoser
    Australian Jehovah's Witnesses seem to be better educated than North Americans Jws too. Maybe the Americans and Canadians started saying if they can why can't we. 
  • bohm
    bohm

Can you perhaps link to the thread? (or send it by PM).

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH

Educational systems and job opportunities differ per country. So local circumstances play a role in the decisions whether  it is wise to follow higher education or not.

For example in europe there are no job offers in the building and construction business, since they have a real estate crisis since 2008. In some countries there are no job offers for low skilled people.

In the country where i live a lot of the JW's go to universities or other forms of higher education

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

European ex jw forum

is that in english--?  can you put up a link ?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Their anti Higher Education stance is really silly, and will mean many JW families of the future are unnecessarily dirt-poor.

The reason they wish to stop a Uni education for JW kids is because such an education teaches you to think Critically, and equips you with a working Bull-s**t Meter.

I found it ironic that Tony Tightpants on JW Broadcasting uses the writings of Paul to oppose Higher Education, the writings of a man who received one of the most advanced educations of his time.

Do you think Tony Tightpants the Turd was mis-applying those verses ? just a small chance he may have been ??

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

it would seem to be the case, though ,despite the actual article recently about yet another imaginary female jw leaving college, and being 'happy' doing 'service' for JJ,   [jesus and jehovah]  she insists the society does not shun college.  uh, yea they do. they want people to go to a trade school to learn blue collar trades, ie: electrician, plumber, hvac, anything that is in the building industry. [GEE I wonder why]  

here they ridicule openly in talks, the very idea of becoming a professional chef, going into advertising [really ridiculed at an one day assembly  talk once]  or taking  business or  being a writer or designer, or teacher  or doctor or dentist.   yea, all the things THEY need to use!! they are so stupid.  they favor on line college, of course, so you make no friends.

the fact that most jws in my area anyway, cannot even afford to go  to college , because their parents are too poor, they dont have the grades required , as in the case of the majority of people in the us who simply have been eliminated from further educational opportunities due to the huge expense and life long debt this incurs.

the educational system in the US is a failing one.  its all about money, not having skills needed to help a community.  worldwide the generation thats entering the workforce right now will be forever burdened by debt and a lack of a job. its not what you know as much as it is who you know, to get ahead.

my son is 25 years old, and just now, trying to get into a community college. he has bad credit, and not two cents in a savings, but hes tired of working in a call center and being stuck in sales more or less. he not only has a huge car loan for a 7 year old car, high rent which is less than than the area average, and now he will have student debt. its no wonder why every time I pass a convenience store i think, gee If I could only win some money, just to get a freaking break. but I dont have a dollar on me for a ticket.

Now I wonder how many jws would be in college if it were included in taxes like it is on other countries??

I bet a lot more.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

It is not just about living on campus. once the listen to this recent broadcast it is clear.

Someone summed it up well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit