Is Watchtower's stance against education only for North American witnesses

by wannaexit 53 Replies latest jw friends

• zeb
    zeb
    The anti education pills have been handed out  in Australia as well for years.
  • Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

I knew a small handful in Australia who took higher education about the time I did: I studied 1997-2000 and left the JWs in 1998. I can think of about five in two congs who were studying, or had recently finished studying, when I left.

The excuse was always that they needed to get a qualification to meet their scriptural responsibility to support their family (all male). I said the same. 

I don't remember anyone being given a hard time or losing privileges as a result. I don't think any of them were very active or 'in to' being a JW, even if they were current or former E/MS/Pio, but so far as I know the others stayed in. Mostly second or third gen. I think studying was more a point of novelty than being very problematic in the cong.

I remember publishers (not so much E/MS) quizzing me about whether the lecturers were as good public speakers as the brothers. I think it was curiosity more than anything. The few who did have an education (usually from before getting into the JWs) always seemed to be regarded as a bit special, and being the 'good elders' or whatever.

• kaik
    kaik

In Eastern Europe WT was against higher education as far I remember. There were handful college educated people in my KH, but majority of the JWs are barely literate there, usually having only mandatory education to the age 16. During communist rule, many JWs were denied higher education by the government and were forced to work in the coal mining areas. This education deficit caused by repressive government is very visible in the group born before 1968.

Other refused to got to professional schools because they were discouraged by the elder. I had numerous talks about my higher education with my elders and I got my undergrad and postgrad after WT world. All my JW relatives have basic education. My mom got her education before she got involved with the cult. Various studies in Czech Republic and Slovakia had often put JWs as one the least literate demographic group out there, just bit better than gypsies. The Czech census from 2011 indicates that less than 7% of JWs have college education, while 13.5% of Catholics, 42% of Jews, 16% of 7DA, and 20% of Czech protestants.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    I don't think it's a case of a different GB for the Europeans than for the Americans.   I think it's more that the Europeans (like the latinos) just choose to ignore them. 
  • LosingMyReligion
    LosingMyReligion

I think it's important to remember that Europe is a continent, and not a country or state (despite the attempts to create a united European Union). Within this continent you have a variety of countries, big and small, that have their own unique culture, history and morality. Therefore the witnesses in a scandinavian country can have a different view on beards then for an example the witnesses in a southern european country.

Regarding the Watchtower's stance on higher education we all have the same watchower study, the same assembly programs and the same dogma presented to us no matter if we live in North America, Europe or Africa. The only difference is how we react to it. If you compare the European continent to the American or African continent you will see a distinct difference in the number of confessed agnostics and atheists vs. "believers" in the general population, and this must affect the witnesses also. Therefore I would think that the more atheist or science-based your surroundings are the more prone you are to not be overly zealous in following every command from the Governing Body. Remember, most witnesses hate preaching and don't want to pioneer for a career. I know by my own experience how it is to force yourself to pioneer even though you hate it, just because you want to "please God". Most witnesses would take any opportunity to not preach and be occupied with something else, and going to school is one of the best and most readibly available way out of a life of preaching and working low-salary jobs.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool
    bookmarking
  • roberto avon
    roberto avon
    I live in Italy and I have read the italian link. I don't see a big difference between Italy and the States although there were a few positive comments of Jw's that were " allowed " to attend college but as I have read in some comments
    - it's very difficult to find a job in Italy and university give you much better chances ( maybe I should say GAVE )
    - it is true that distances in Italy are not comparable to the distances Usa so there is a good possibilty to find a university not too far from home
    - I think university is much cheaper in Italy
  • wannaexit
    wannaexit
    Roberto: thank you for your thoughts. I don't think I've personally welcomed you to this wonderful forum. Benvenuto.
  • Mandrake
    Mandrake

It seems to be a cultural difference like the "beard thing" in the nordic countries, here un Chile, the young are VERY frown upon entering "Higer Education", brothers and sisters would tell you things like "and how many years that would take, oh I HOPE YOU HAVE THE TIME BEFORE THIS SYSTEM ENDS", "you better look for a non-medical field because if you choose a medical carreer you'll have no job in the new system"...

• millie210
    millie210

"you better look for a non-medical field because if you choose a medical carreer you'll have no job in the new system"...

Well they would have a job in varying degrees for the first 1000 years, right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit