Is Watchtower imploding? 10 reasons why the end could be nigh

by WildeLover 63 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• elderINewton
    elderINewton
    2 days ago

All CO's and retired DO's, along with all special servants that retire in the service are paid a monthly stipend. I've seen the direct deposit slips. They get a small living allowance (rent) and funds for food etc..

The program I'm told (I only know of Canada and the US) is that they these "special people" work directly with the branch to budget and indicate how much funds are needed on a monthly basis. In Canada they have a system of Old Age Security that provides funds to those of age and that is factored into the equation. The same is the case for US retired persons that qualify for the Social Security. Additionally, the branch encourages them to find suitable rent (aka cheap rent), and they go on there merry way expecting a check each month. I do know its now all direct deposit.

All in all its retirement plan for those still very loyal to the order. They just don't call it that.

Yes your donations are needed to fund a great building work of retirees.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

This is what happens I guess when you build up an organization from lies, false deceptive information and ignorance through exploitation and manipulation. Sure some elderly DO's are living in poverty now but what about those poor innocent people that lost their lives because of this self indulgent man made endeavor ?

• jws
    jws

Ah, Cedars. To take a look at the other side for a moment, Cedars has been using his own reasoning to proclaim the end of the Watchtower since he first arrived on this site years ago. He's a bit of an egomaniac and seems on a personal vandetta to bring down the WT. And thinks he can bring it down. And he's looking for ANY sign that it's crumbling to validate himself. He's like a jilted lover bent on seeing his ex have a bad life for the crime of hurting him.

I looked over his list of 10. I see obvious stretching. Making the same point into 2 just to stretch out the list. And contains flawed logic. For instance, he claims jw.org doesn't attract non-JWs. Yet by his calculations, the site gets 5 times more hits than from loyal JWs. Tell me how that's not attracting JWs. Whether it gets you to join them or not is a different matter. But brand recognition is big.

Cedars aside, people have been predicting the end of the WT for years. Remember, followers of Russell are still around. Bible Students who follow Studies in the Scriptures still exist. So it's not easy to kill a religion or a following. Hell, just look at the Jewish scriptures. People still follow that millennia later.

JWs can and do reinvent themselves. They have an audience of the gullible. Every change becomes a blessing from God with all the spin of Fox News. But we on the outside can see the difference.

I see numbers, like non-associated (atheist/agnostic/no religion) rising 1%/year in America while Christianity decreases 1%/year. Baring some event to sway people back to church, I think those rises and falls pick up in speed. The bigger the atheist voice, the faster people will join it. And that's how I see religions failing in America. Reason. No longer our Christianity vs. yours where we can debate the finer points of scripture. A totally unreceptive public turned off to all forms of proselytizing.

But then again, growth has been stagnant here for years. It's the developing countries where this stuff catches on best. It may be that the JWs of the future are a Central-American based religion that nobody hears much about here.

I don't expect to see it die in my lifetime. Probably not Cedars either.

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd

We had a special pioneer in my congregation growing up that had long since stopped meeting the hour requirements for special pioneers, but was allowed to keep the title of special pioneer due to her age. This allowed her to continue to receive a stipend. They also allow long time elderly Bethel workers to stay on at Bethel. In both cases, while not calling it "retirement", it is essentially the same thing and it is an ongoing expense.

I would imagine that elderly COs are given a similar stipend once they hit the max age.

• pepperheart
    pepperheart
    i wonder how many child abuse cases will be coming through the courts and how much will the watch tower be fined
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Thier consolidation is pointing to something, whether or not thier just being paranoid and greedy about money now because they lost thier shirts in the stock market back in 2008-2009 and then saw how little money they were getting from the r&f when the economy was bad, maybe that's all it is. But they have sold off a lot of assets stolen money from KHs, and are now downsizing thier operations less KHs not paying for missionarys to go to other lands etc. Gilead members being assigned not to other countries but areas in the USA. This is all very telling. This tells me they may not being going anywhere anytime soon but some one has told them that thier growth is over and maybe they have been also told that all Christian growth is over.

I live near Seattle, this city now has a 10% population that are atheists most of any major city in the US. Europe has a huge population that are non religious and with out being total atheists the non religious population of the world is growing by leaps and bounds. Remember thousands of years ago there were thousands of God's, in most parts of the world there is belief now in only one God. Only one God to go.

• Simon
    Simon

The WT is now flush with cash, growing and much slicker with better marketing.

Any prophecy of impending doom is pure wishful thinking.

No sizable religion is going to vanish now. They are easily past the "self sustaining" size and will be here for a long time.

It doesn't matter what we can prove about them - people don't care. No one is in any religion because of logic or "truth".

As long as the information about them is available for those who want to look and support is around for people who want to leave - that is what we can provide. A mass exodus? It ain't going to happen.

The GOP are in more trouble but they don't seem like they are going to pack up and go home.

It's a strange concept this "I will destroy the org" fantasy. If people weren't in that org they'd be in some other one. They are all more or less the same and each helping and harming people in different ways. We have to admit that the only reason we want the JW Org to fail is because "they hurt us".

Maybe it's just easier than blaming ourselves or our parents ...

• pepperheart
    pepperheart
    They have closed 20 branch offices around the world (acording to their own website)and are moving both new york and london bethels out of prime city sights and in lots of big citys they have still been giving out 9 year old teaching books
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

I agree that a mass exodus is not going to happen for a variety of reasons, but I also think the publishing house that they enjoyed for a century or so is over. Just like many newspaper and magazine publishing houses that are former shells of themselves. The big major ones are still around but their influence is somewhat diminished.

This is why the WTBTS is selling the expensive properties in NY and elsewhere they are no longer needed. At least now they will have to continually adapt with the internet and compete to get their message out. That's why the indifference witnessed in the trolley cart witnessing

Then there is the third world countries were they can continue with publishing the way they have always done at least for now.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

jws said...

Ah, Cedars. To take a look at the other side for a moment, Cedars has been using his own reasoning to proclaim the end of the Watchtower since he first arrived on this site years ago. He's a bit of an egomaniac and seems on a personal vandetta to bring down the WT. And thinks he can bring it down. And he's looking for ANY sign that it's crumbling to validate himself. He's like a jilted lover bent on seeing his ex have a bad life for the crime of hurting him.

. . . Cedars aside, people have been predicting the end of the WT for years. Remember, followers of Russell are still around. Bible Students who follow Studies in the Scriptures still exist. So it's not easy to kill a religion or a following. Hell, just look at the Jewish scriptures. People still follow that millennia later.

JWs can and do reinvent themselves. They have an audience of the gullible. Every change becomes a blessing from God with all the spin of Fox News. But we on the outside can see the difference.

I see numbers, like non-associated (atheist/agnostic/no religion) rising 1%/year in America while Christianity decreases 1%/year. Baring some event to sway people back to church, I think those rises and falls pick up in speed. The bigger the atheist voice, the faster people will join it. And that's how I see religions failing in America. Reason. No longer our Christianity vs. yours where we can debate the finer points of scripture. A totally unreceptive public turned off to all forms of proselytizing.

But then again, growth has been stagnant here for years. It's the developing countries where this stuff catches on best. It may be that the JWs of the future are a Central-American based religion that nobody hears much about here.

I don't expect to see it die in my lifetime. Probably not Cedars either.

I invite jws "to take a look at the other side for a moment" . . .

Watchtower has been using their own reasoning to proclaim the end of the World since they first arrived on the scene all those years ago in 1879. They are a bit of an egomaniac and seem on a personal vandetta to bring down the World. And thinks they can bring it down. And Watchtower is looking for ANY sign that it's crumbling to validate themselves. They are like a jilted lover bent on seeing his ex have a bad life for the crime of hurting her.

. . . Watchtower aside, Jehovah's Witnesses have been predicting the end of the World for years. Remember, followers of Russell are still around. Bible Students who follow Studies in the Scriptures still exist. So it's not easy to kill a religion or a following. Hell, just look at the Jewish scriptures. People still follow that millennia later.

I don't expect to see Watchtower die in my lifetime. Probably not in any Jehovah's Witnesses either.

- - -

COMMENTS

If Cedars' "egomaniac" comments sound like he is on a "personal vandetta" [sic] and looking "for ANY sign" by "using his own reasoning to proclaim the end" then how much more so the Watchtower's.

Many people have been hurt by the Watchtower and many such ones use their own personal circumstances and experiences in sharing their life-moulded viewpoints with others. And this is my life-moulded viewpoint.

I believe Simon nailed it . . .

The WT is now flush with cash, growing and much slicker with better marketing.

Any prophecy of impending doom is pure wishful thinking.

No sizable religion is going to vanish now. They are easily past the "self sustaining" size and will be here for a long time.

It doesn't matter what we can prove about them - people don't care. No one is in any religion because of logic or "truth".

No truer word uttered.

JW LEAKS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit