President Bush's speech

by Mulan 115 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

It must be awful having an accent. We Brits have no accent at all. We all speak proper like what English should be spoke.

And we say aluminium propply two.

Englishman.

• IronGland
    IronGland

"The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods." [H. L. Mencken]

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Wasasister,

Your implication, if I get it correct, is that since the breaking news story was "convenient" that it was "set up"? Here's the article you linked.

Uranium Seized in Turkey, Maybe

Am I the only one getting slightly suspicious about the timing of the seizure by Turkish police of 15 kgs of weapons grade uranium? It came at a very convenient time for those who argue that Iraq is attempting to obtain nuclear material for its weapons of mass destruction, and that an imminent attack is necessary. Turkey, after all, neighbours Iraq. It is highly unlikely that anyone could find a market for $5 millions worth of illegal weapons grade uranium in Turkey.

True, it is not the first time Turkey has thwarted efforts to smuggle nuclear material through its country. And any conspiracy theorists should consider the fact that this alone is unlikely to persuade those who already oppose an attack of Iraq. Also, such a conspiracy would surely backfire if it was disclosed.

It can not, however, be denied that the timing is convenient for the hawks.

For all of us, it surely makes us wonder: how much nuclear material has already made its way across the border to Iraq?

Note, this is NOT THE FIRST TIME Turkey has twarted efforts to smuggle nuclear materials. The logical inference then, is that some nuclear material is getting through. It does make us wonder how much has gotten through. If this were a conspiracy, it would indeed backfire.
  • Mulan
    Mulan

Amen, Englishman. How about lieutenant?

How do you pronounce NUCLEAR?

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

Haha, this is hilarious. If it were the GB or any JW for that matter that stated: "I took the initiative in creating the Internet" , You'd be all over them. It's funny how all that works.

Ok, you know what? I, Revmalk, have taken the initiative in creating the Internet!

Hell, you know what, all of us here have because we've produced, or created our posts here on Simon's site. As a matter of fact, I'm going to add that to the front page of my web site and in the yellow pages, think it will get me more customers or make me a laughing stock?

The simple fact of the matter is Gore was not even out of College OR elected to the House until 8 years AFTER the Arpanet was created. You can rationalize how you wish, and you can smoke screen, whatever floats your boat, but you can't change history and you can't change fact.

I know I said I rest my case, but I had this thought and couldn't shut up. We can hold Pastor Russell and all these other idiots up to a different standard, and we can complain when the Watchtower says "We didn't mean that literally"....."We said it would be safe to assume the end would be here...", but then when it comes to someone else we have a whole new rule book. The fact of the matter is, we know that for the 1975 theory at least, they did make disclaimers, they did make statements like "We can assume....", or "It would be wise to assume.....", etc etc etc. But we know what they were trying to do, they were trying to make us believe one thing while leaving a loophole to say they meant another when it all came out. So don't you think that Gore would have been more wise to have said "I was instrumental in furthering the effort for a worldwide computer network", or "My work at congress contributed to the Internet's rapid growth!". Then he'd have been fine, and if Bush argued the point he'd had been at a loss, because this statement is honest, factual and not misleading. But it just doesn't sound as good as "I took the initiative in creating the Internet"

I rest my case for real this time. I know none of this matters, Gore never made it to the Presidency (Thank God). And I really only needed to argue the point because I was told I was wrong :)

I'd also like to point out that I have never made a statement on this board claiming to be some kind of genius. My opinions are my opinions and I can be just as wrong as the next person. But they are my opinions, and it can never be wrong to have one, it's our right.

By the way Trauma, I want you to know that I don't mean to be argumentative with you, I've read your posts before and at least for the ones I've seen, I enjoyed your opinions whether I agreed with them or not. I see you're from Seattle, what a wonderful place! I used to live out there, in the burbs, loved every minute of it including the rain and overcast skies!

Also, to Mulan, I'm sorry to take up so much space in your thread on a subject not even pertaining to your original topic. So, in case anyone has missed that or forgotten by now, I'll throw it back out there:

Mulan:

I wanted to hear the President's speech tonight, but can't stand listening to the man. He has a prepared speech but he keeps saying NUC-YOU-LAR instead of nuc-le-ar. I can't stand it.

You would think his people would walk him through correct pronunciation. He is an embarrassment. I'll wait for the news, later, to see if he going to get Congress to declare war.

A knaves religion is always the rottenest thing about him." John Ruskin, 19th-century British critic and author

Edited by - Revmalk on 9 October 2002 11:55:4

• Mulan
    Mulan

No problem, RM. I think it's a good discussion, actually.

• seawolf
    seawolf

Yeru,

Somehow or another everyone seems to keep forgetting that 35 lbs of enriched Uranium (weapons grade) was discovered only 150 miles from Iraq in a taxi, the fissible material was on its way to Iraq.

The early news reports were false. Shortly afterwards, the men were released, and the story forgotten. The amount found was only 140 grams (~5 oz). At the time the story broke, there was no evidence whatsoever it was weapons grade, as it had not been analyzed, and since then I haven't heard anything about it.

I was slightly skeptical about this story when it broke, as the timing was just a bit too convenient.

- Jan

Actually the stuff wasn't even uranium:

http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=search&StoryID=1518794

Scientists at Turkey's Nuclear Research and Training Center on the outskirts of Istanbul said on Tuesday the substance was not uranium and was not radioactive.

"It is a powder of zinc, manganese, iron and zirconium," Guler Koksal, director of the research facility told Reuters. "It is not radioactive, it is not chemical and it is not explosive."

• siegswife
    siegswife

Hey Rev Malik, If you want to partake of vilifying a man's character based on distortion and outright lies, that's on you. On the other hand, you shouldn't expect that some people won't call you on it and expose what you're doing.

Personally, I hope that I never fall for or participate in such fascistlike tactics.

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

siegswife:

Hey Rev Malik, If you want to partake of vilifying a man's character based on distortion and outright lies, that's on you. On the other hand, you shouldn't expect that some people won't call you on it and expose what you're doing.

Personally, I hope that I never fall for or participate in such fascistlike tactics.

You're a barrel of laughs. First of all you have no clue what you're even talking about, second of all, I could care less because you know what? The lying piece of crap never made it to office, thank the Lord Almighty. He was/is a racist, lying Pig that belongs nowhere near Washington.

And expose what I'm doing?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You act as if I'm trying to pull off some kind of coup for someone who's not even in office, nor ever will be!

Expose away my dear board mate, for you cannot expose what's not hidden. You are a typical Democrat, bash the guy that has an opinion, one step away from being a friggin commie. You want to take away my guns and freedom of speech as well? You want to turn the Good ol USA into Cuba (or is it Cuber?). You want to know what would happen to the United States under a democratic rule? Read up on Cuban History. The same exact tactics that the Democrats use now were used in Cuba. First they take your guns, then after that your freedom of speech, and then, and then, and then.....

Before you know it Fidel will be our President

A knaves religion is always the rottenest thing about him." John Ruskin, 19th-century British critic and author

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Before you know it Fidel will be our President

Si !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit