President Bush's speech

by Mulan 115 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

I wanted to hear the President's speech tonight, but can't stand listening to the man. He has a prepared speech but he keeps saying NUC-YOU-LAR instead of nuc-le-ar. I can't stand it.

You would think his people would walk him through correct pronunciation. He is an embarrassment. I'll wait for the news, later, to see if he going to get Congress to declare war.

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

five bucks says the president is on crack and we'll find out in 2 years ~FS

• JWinSF
    JWinSF

I personally cannot stand listening to either President Tush or Attorney General Asscroft.

John W Wirtanen

• goatlike
    goatlike

5 bucks says he speaks this way to appear unwashed, hadda work pretty hard not to screw up and pronounce it properly

• blondie
    blondie

I just think that he should work on fluency. His wife is a terrific speaker though.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Going to war is a very serious subject and I'm more interested in the substance of the speech, I couldn't care less what his accent is.

A couple of weeks ago some TV commentors were discussing this very topic. They seem to indicate that is a common pronunciation of the word in that part of the country.

• minimus
    minimus

Give him a break! He hasn't even joined the Ministry School yet.

• goatlike
    goatlike

i give him a big ole G on Repetition for Emphasis

Edited by - goatlike on 7 October 2002 20:33:2

• blondie
    blondie

minimus, don't you want him to improve.

Unfortunately, when he hesitates and stumble it reminds me of the difficulty of reading a manuscript talk and making it sound like your own words. For years, other people have been writing and putting words into the mouths of Presidents. Some have been better at making those words sound like their own. Some have not done as well.

Hitler was a good speaker, BTW.

Edited by - Blondie on 7 October 2002 20:34:37

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

This is a large country and regional accents exist, I don't see what merit there is in pointing that out. It's what he says not how he says it that counts.

IW

Edited by - IslandWoman on 7 October 2002 20:36:27

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit