President Bush's speech

by Mulan 115 Replies latest jw friends

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

"Haha, well ya gotta admit that a guy that stands before the world and claims to have invented the Internet has some sort of personal problem"

Really, and where did he do that? Actually if you knew anything about the history of the internet, you would know that Al Gore, was one of the first Senators to push funding through for the Arpanet, which is what was the internet in the beginning.

• nowaytess
    nowaytess

Yes when Atty General of AR, he was accused a raping a woman name Juantia Broadrick. she was brutally beaten and rape. she name then Atty General Bill Clinton. teh article was ran on 60 minutes around the time of the Lewinsky scandel.

• siegswife
    siegswife

What does Bill Clinton have to do with this subject?

One thing that I like to keep in mind when reading or listening to political propaganda is that I once thought the WTS spoke for God. I don't believe the hype anymore...especially when it comes from those who want power...I'm obviously not good at at face value judgments.

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

Trauma_Hound:

Really, and where did he do that? Actually if you knew anything about the history of the internet, you would know that Al Gore, was one of the first Senators to push funding through for the Arpanet, which is what was the internet in the beginning.

Hmmmm, I know a Tad-Bit about the internet, I'm a web developer by trade.

Here we go:

In a March 1999 interview with Wolf Blitzer, Gore said, "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

Preliminary discussions of how the ARPANET would be designed began in 1967, and a request for proposals went out the following year. In 1969, the Defense Department commissioned the ARPANET.

Gore was 21-years-old at the time. He wasn't even done with law school at Vanderbilt University. It would be eight more years before Gore would be elected to the US House of Representatives as a freshman Democrat with scant experience in passing legislation, let alone ambitious proposals.

By that time, file copying, via the UUCP protocol, was beginning. Email was flourishing. The culture of the Internet was starting to develop through the Jargon File and the SF-Lovers mailing list.

Did he take a lead in promoting the expansion and technological advances of the internet as we know it today? Sure, as far as legislation goes, but years and years later. Was he behind even a minute amount of the technology we see here today (as far as "hands on"), Absolutely not.

Getting on the super highway 50 exits down doesn't allow you to lay claim to any invention. Yes, I know you'll come back with "But he clarified and said he didn't mean that literally....." Of course he did, at the very least an implication.

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

nowaytess:

Yes when Atty General of AR, he was accused a raping a woman name Juantia Broadrick. she was brutally beaten and rape. she name then Atty General Bill Clinton. teh article was ran on 60 minutes around the time of the Lewinsky scandel.

Ya, I guess that rings a bell. I don't know how true or not it is, but it sounds about right to me. I retract my earlier statements, and apologize, I can't argue the point.

A knaves religion is always the rottenest thing about him." John Ruskin, 19th-century British critic and author

Edited by - Revmalk on 9 October 2002 0:50:26

• siegswife
    siegswife

http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue5_10/wiggins/#w2

Although Al Gore never claimed to have invented the Internet, he did discuss his role in Internet development in an interview with Wolf Blitzer of Cable News Network. The interview took place on March 9, 1999 during CNN's "Late Edition" show. Specifically, what Gore said was "I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

A cynic might observe that "creating the Internet" and "inventing the Internet" are tantamount to the same exaggeration. But let's look at the entire quote in the context of the colloquy with Blitzer. Here is Blitzer's entire query to Gore:

BLITZER: I want to get to some of the substance of domestic and international issues in a minute, but let's just wrap up a little bit of the politics right now.

Why should Democrats, looking at the Democratic nomination process, support you instead of Bill Bradley, a friend of yours, a former colleague in the Senate? What do you have to bring to this that he doesn't necessarily bring to this process?

Clearly, Blitzer is asking Gore to offer an explanation of how he differs as a politician from other politicians in general, and his rival at the time, Bill Bradley, in particular. Here is Gore's entire response to Blitzer's question:

GORE: Well, I will be offering - I'll be offering my vision when my campaign begins. And it will be comprehensive and sweeping. And I hope that it will be compelling enough to draw people toward it. I feel that it will be.

But it will emerge from my dialogue with the American people. I've traveled to every part of this country during the last six years. During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.

During a quarter century of public service, including most of it long before I came into my current job, I have worked to try to improve the quality of life in our country and in our world. And what I've seen during that experience is an emerging future that's very exciting, about which I'm very optimistic, and toward which I want to lead.

On September 28, 2000, Bob Kahn and Vint Cerf released a statement to key Internet mailing lists stating their unequivocal belief that Gore played an important role during his congressional years in supporting the Internet:

I am taking the liberty of sending to you both a brief summary of Al Gore's Internet involvement, prepared by Bob Kahn and me. As you know, there have been a seemingly unending series of jokes chiding the vice president for his assertion that he "took the initiative in creating the Internet."

Bob and I believe that the vice president deserves significant credit for his early recognition of the importance of what has become the Internet.

I thought you might find this short summary of sufficient interest to share it with Politech and the IP lists, respectively.

==============================================================

Al Gore and the Internet

By Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf

Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the Internet and to promote and support its development.

No one person or even small group of persons exclusively "invented" the Internet. It is the result of many years of ongoing collaboration among people in government and the university community. But as the two people who designed the basic architecture and the core protocols that make the Internet work, we would like to acknowledge VP Gore's contributions as a Congressman, Senator and as Vice President. No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution over a longer period of time.

Last year the Vice President made a straightforward statement on his role. He said: "During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet." We don't think, as some people have argued, that Gore intended to claim he "invented" the Internet. Moreover, there is no question in our minds that while serving as Senator, Gore's initiatives had a significant and beneficial effect on the still-evolving Internet. The fact of the matter is that Gore was talking about and promoting the Internet long before most people were listening. We feel it is timely to offer our perspective.

As far back as the 1970s Congressman Gore promoted the idea of high speed telecommunications as an engine for both economic growth and the improvement of our educational system. He was the first elected official to grasp the potential of computer communications to have a broader impact than just improving the conduct of science and scholarship. Though easily forgotten, now, at the time this was an unproven and controversial concept. Our work on the Internet started in 1973 and was based on even earlier work that took place in the mid-late 1960s. But the Internet, as we know it today, was not deployed until 1983. When the Internet was still in the early stages of its deployment, Congressman Gore provided intellectual leadership by helping create the vision of the potential benefits of high speed computing and communication. As an example, he sponsored hearings on how advanced technologies might be put to use in areas like coordinating the response of government agencies to natural disasters and other crises.

As a Senator in the 1980s Gore urged government agencies to consolidate what at the time were several dozen different and unconnected networks into an "Interagency Network." Working in a bi-partisan manner with officials in Ronald Reagan and George Bush's administrations, Gore secured the passage of the High Performance Computing and Communications Act in 1991. This "Gore Act" supported the National Research and Education Network (NREN) initiative that became one of the major vehicles for the spread of the Internet beyond the field of computer science.

As Vice President Gore promoted building the Internet both up and out, as well as releasing the Internet from the control of the government agencies that spawned it. He served as the major administration proponent for continued investment in advanced computing and networking and private sector initiatives such as Net Day. He was and is a strong proponent of extending access to the network to schools and libraries. Today, approximately 95% of our nation's schools are on the Internet. Gore provided much-needed political support for the speedy privatization of the Internet when the time arrived for it to become a commercially-driven operation.

There are many factors that have contributed to the Internet's rapid growth since the later 1980s, not the least of which has been political support for its privatization and continued support for research in advanced networking technology. No one in public life has been more intellectually engaged in helping to create the climate for a thriving Internet than the Vice President. Gore has been a clear champion of this effort, both in the councils of government and with the public at large.

The Vice President deserves credit for his early recognition of high speed computing and communication and for his long-term and consistent articulation of the potential value of the Internet to American citizens and industry and, indeed, to the rest of the world.

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

Mulan:

Kennedy saying Cuber and Americer, were regional accents. Pronouncing nulear wrong is not an accent..........it's a mistake.

Mulan, I personally don't have a clue why the dude speaks the way he does. I'm no Bush expert, or Political expert. However, it's been mentioned that President Carter (horrible President, GREAT Person) also pronounced Nuclear in the same fashion. Is it possible, both being southerners, that it is in fact an accent? Like I said, I don't know, but maybe?

On a similar note, I know my own Father is very intelligent, yet pronounces ITALY like "IT-LEE"

He's still a smart guy, can't take that away from him.

A knaves religion is always the rottenest thing about him." John Ruskin, 19th-century British critic and author

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

siegswife:

But it will emerge from my dialogue with the American people. I've traveled to every part of this country during the last six years. During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.

Exactly. At the very least he was implying that he was there from the beginning, the creation. Supporting the Internet, (which he did), and even pushing forward with an already created Invention, is NOT in any way shape or form taking the initiative in creating the net. Perhaps I should have used "Created" instead of "Invented" (shame on me), but yet aren't they basically one in the same?

I rest my case

Wow Mulan, I'm impressed with this thread. So far a 5 pager!

{Pats Mulan on the back}

• Trauma_Hound
  • siegswife
    siegswife

create

(kr
    tr.v. created, creating, creates

1) To cause to exist; bring into being. .

2) To give rise to; produce: That remark created a stir.

3) To invest with an office or title; appoint.

4) To produce through artistic or imaginative effort: create a poem; create a role.

synonym for create:

Production

Excerpt: "... Production. production, creation, construction, formation, fabrication..."

[Nouns]

production, creation, construction, formation, fabrication, manufacture; building, architecture, erection, edification; coinage; diaster; organization; nisus formativus; putting together; establishment; workmanship, performance; achievement (completion)

There are many factors that have contributed to the Internet's rapid growth since the later 1980s, not the least of which has been political support for its privatization and continued support for research in advanced networking technology. No one in public life has been more intellectually engaged in helping to create the climate for a thriving Internet than the Vice President. Gore has been a clear champion of this effort, both in the councils of government and with the public at large.

I guess I can understand why most Bush supporters don't have a problem with his abysmal pronunuciation problem. They don't understand what people are talking about anyway!
  • Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

For the people that think we should go to war against Iraq, from CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/10/09/iraq.congress.ap/index.html

"WASHINGTON (AP) -- Congress on Wednesday heads into more debate, apparently willing to grant President Bush the power he wants to combat the threat of Saddam Hussein's Iraq -- but not before raising questions on the dangers of taking on Iraq militarily without the support of an international coalition.

CIA Director George Tenet described one of those dangers, telling lawmakers that Saddam might turn to his biological and chemical weapons for terrorist purposes if provoked by an imminent United States-led attack.

Saddam might take the extreme step of assisting terrorists with weapons of mass destruction as "his last chance to exact vengeance by taking a large number of victims with him," Tenet wrote in a letter."

So what is it you people know that the Director of the CIA doesn't? Maybe you should contact them, since you seem to know better than he, since he's suggesting an attack, could actually cause Saddam to become more desperate, and use weapons of mass distruction, and arming terrorist with them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit