My introduction and confession

by elderINewton 58 Replies latest jw friends

• elderINewton
    elderINewton

tim3l0rd about 5ish years ago a letter was written to all CO's & DO's that if the child of servant or elder was to go into higher education that there qualifications were to be questioned. The letter which was orally read to all servants and elders was that if the child was still living at home, attending meeting meetings and regularly contributing in the ministry that the elder or servant would be "ok.". They provided a loophole effectively but only for higher ups.

Else, I worked for 5 years on my escape plan, and I was able to wake my wife up even though she is a born in 3rd generation. Like many we are simply moving, and taking our cards with us. Still in the same large city so we will run into people, but its an easy way to just pick up and rebuild. It will come as a shock to many when the see the for sale sign go up next week. But like any good plan it takes time and effort, at a bare minimum if I get in "trouble" I can say I waited on god to answer.

Like many my wife woke up because I taught her how to think with probing questions, and planting seeds of doubt. In some ways its easier being an elders wife as you get to see and hear more about the issues. She sees its full of demands over love, I find that the women in the halls suffer from emotional abuse due to this as well. Take a look at all the moms in the back rows on pins and needles that the kids won't act up.

My daughter has no clue that we are not coming back, its going to be a shock for her system, but its safer in the long run.

Like many I have appreciated the advice given by all of you. I do expect to get cornered by our CO and elders in our new location, but like many of you have suggested, I'll just say I'm done, burnt out, and if they press I'll mention the child abuse issue we had to go through in the prior year that disgusts me to this day. That will put the fear of god back into them, and they know it. To me, the reality is that there is no such thing as a successful escape, its just playing for the tie, or to minimize the loss.

Like my hero Isaac Newton, I'll always strive for truth and as such, I'll enjoy seeing how many I can bring with me, subtly of course.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Great intro ElderInNewton!

It's wonderful to hear a success story every once in awhile.

Welcome!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

A subversive "conscious-classer"...

x

...one of my favorite kinds of (almost) XJWs.

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

Welcome!

I am trapped inside due to heavy family involvement in this corporation. Kudos on your courage.

SL

• Giordano
    Giordano

Enjoyed your story and I know you and your family will enjoy new freedoms.

We left 48 years ago over the Blood issue and Armageddon......... utter nonsense, no way to raise a family with beliefs like that.

Met my wife while pioneering where the need was great, would do it all over again, even missing out on college, cause she is the love of my life. I can appreciate your patience in helping your wife to understand TTATT.

We moved well out of the territory........ well out of the state and somehow our publisher's cards went missing! Which was strange cause I was in charge of those cards at the congregation we left.

Being the assn't presiding minister and kingdom ministry servant I guess I would have been an Elder too but we didn't have that in the 1960's.......we were called servants. The objective was to serve the congregation.......somehow it all got turned around and now it's the opposite.

Eric Hoffer in The True Believer wrote: "An active mass movement rejects the present and centers it's interest on the future. It is from this attitude that it derives it's strength, for it can proceed recklessly with the present- with the health, wealth and lives of it's followers. But it must act as if it has already read the book of the future to the last word. Its doctrine is proclaimed as a key to that book.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

It is fantastic that you and your wife are escaping together. We did the same thing. It's wonderful to be on the "same page." Freedom is wonderful!!!

Regarding this letter:

" The letter which was orally read to all servants and elders was that if the child was still living at home, attending meeting meetings and regularly contributing in the ministry that the elder or servant would be "ok.". They provided a loophole effectively but only for higher ups."

We saw so many of the Elders kids going to college. Don't get me wrong, we 100% agree that the kids should get an education but the double standards are incredible. If a Brother doesn't get the magic 10 hours a month in service, he can't have any "priveledges" (except donating $, cleaning the toilets or taking the CO or speaker to dinner) but if your college bound kid does all the tasks (The tasks that get him/her labeled a "spiritual" young one) than that's ok, they get a free pass.

Trust me when I tell you this (right from one of my kids mouths). These kids know exactly what is going on. They can see right through the hypocrisy and want NO part of it. This is why the 20ish kids are exiting. This generation of kids know that the kids that "look spiritual" know how to play the spiritual game. Elder Daddy has taught them that this is what is required of you if you want to go to college. We had one of the teenage kids in our Hall confess to us that his Father warned/threatened him, "don't make me look bad or loose my priveledges in the Congregation."

There was an article (Watchtower) several years back that if you sent your kids to college you lacked faith. This was one of those head scratching moments for us. We asked...if your kids are in college and your an Elder doesn't that mean that Elder lacks faith? How can they remain an Elder if he lacks faith? Maybe Blondie knows the article I am referring to (it was a study article).

The Hypocrisy is just mind boggling.

Keep us posted on your progress. It's so good to hear so many are stepping up to the plate and moving on.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Welcome. we have all been there. Leaving is just the beginning. the beginning of freedom. and eventually......you won't even care what others think. You will be too busy living your life. Take care of your family, and stick around here and help others since that is important to you. Your stories, what you have seen, the letters,advise to those leaving......all very evaluable as a member of a board like this.

So if you need support. You are in the right place. If you love to help.....you are also in the right place.

• pepperheart
    pepperheart
    If they really think the world is going to end so soon why dont they pay for all the poiners to go full time so that they can tell more people
  • neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    Like my hero Isaac Newton, I'll always strive for truth and as such, I'll enjoy seeing how many I can bring with me, subtly of course.

Spurred by suggestions to this effect in WT literature, I was convinced during my JW days that Isaac Newton formed part of the uninterrupted FDS/anointed chain reaching back to 33 A.D. After I left, I realized his religious ideas were utterly insane.

There's a lesson to found here. One of the two most brilliant physicists to ever walk the Earth simultaneously held asinine religious views. How many batshit Witnesses could have possibly contributed something useful to society? After all, Newton proves holding insane religious views doesn't mean you can't be otherwise brilliant in a different field.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Welcome and thank you for your candor.

When I was a little girl, I used to wish my parent would leave the borganization. I understood then it was misogynistic, and that was depressing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit