Two Jehovahs Witnesses Beheaded!

by deceit 109 Replies latest jw friends

• deceit
    deceit

Muslim rebels in the southern Philippines have beheaded two Christian hostages, part of a group of Jehovah's Witnesses seized on Tuesday.

The two severed heads were found by the Philippines military on the remote southern island of Jolo.

The army chief on Jolo, Brigadier General Romeo Tolentino, said that a note was attached to one of the heads, saying: "Those who do not believe in Allah will suffer the same fate."

The rebels, believed to be members of the Abu Sayyaf group, are still holding four women taken hostage at the same time, including the wife of one of the murdered men.

The army has now launched a ground and air offensive on suspected Abu Sayyaf positions around the town of Patikul, near where the group were taken captive.

Two freed

According to the authorities, the Abu Sayyaf seized eight people as they were travelling in a jeep near Patikul on Tuesday.

Two of the men, who were Muslim, were soon freed, but the six Christians were held.

Officials originally said that the two men and four women were selling cosmetics door to door for the Avon company.

However, later reports suggest that this may have been a cover to allow the Christians to engage in missionary work in a predominantly Muslim area.

The group came mainly from the city of Zamboanga, on the main southern Philippine island of Mindanao.

The kidnapping was the first on the island since US troops began working with the Philippine military to hunt down the Abu Sayyaf group.

The Abu Sayyaf group is best known for kidnapping for ransom, though the US and Philippines governments have linked it to the al-Qaeda network.

Frequent kidnappings

The US sent more than 1,000 troops to the southern Philippines to train local security forces for their campaign against the Abu Sayyaf, which last year took dozens of people hostage, including three Americans.

The US troops left the country last month.

The latest kidnapping took place on the island of Jolo, about 80 kilometres (50 miles) south-west of Basilan.

The victims were travelling in a remote region when suspected Abu Sayyaf gunmen stopped their vehicle.

They were made to get out and led away into a forest, the military said.

The Abu Sayyaf rebels on Jolo are reported to belong to a different faction than those operating on Basilan island, and are believed to have suffered less from recently military offensives.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/2208898.stm

Edited by - deceit on 22 August 2002 1:54:43

Edited by - deceit on 22 August 2002 1:57:13

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

I'm really sorry to hear this. I wish all the hostages to go home safe and sound.

• Liberated
    Liberated

This is very sad news. I read about it at this site. It makes mention of others who have been kidnapped and killed too. I'm with you dungbeetle.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&ncid=716&e=3&u=/ap/20020822/ap_on_re_as/philippines_hostages_7

Libby

• peaceloveharmony
  • sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

This is horrible!

• professor
    professor

Sad indeed.

• Scully
    Scully

This is just sickening.

I hope the WTS is doing something to get these people and any other missionaries out of the country.

Love, Scully

• Been there
    Been there

This is so sickening!

Religious intolerance to the absolute extreme. The witnesses aren't looking so bad right now, atleast they haven't taken to beheading yet.

My prayers are with these poor people.

• abomination
    abomination

make that 5, 999, 998......

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

I would wish no one this kind of terible harm, I really hope the rest of them come home safe. This is so terrible. :(

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit