To spank or not to spank?

by Nowhere 119 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• LB
    LB

Hmmmm and Rachel's children are well adjusted too. Interesting. Neither appear to be an axe murderer in training.

• In_between_days
    In_between_days
    no, i don't think some kids are born bad where the hell did that come from??! i agree that sometimes a kid needs a smack on the ass to smarten up.

I second this. And thats all they need - a quick slap on the butt - VERY RARELY. I would never hit my kid in the face though, or on any other part of the body. I think an open hand slap is ok.

• larc
    larc

144001, listen you prick. When I have to choose between my child's death and slapping his hand, I will slap his hand. Do you have any sense at all?? WTF are you trying to talk about?

• bigfloppydog
    bigfloppydog

I'm reading this post, what Larc has said, and realize that some people here have totally misunderstood his point he was making, his child was a toddler, not old enough to understand a verbal discussion on not putting his hand in the outlet. Maybe if the child was older he would understand, but he was a toddler. I do not believe in spanking children either, but I think he handled the situation in the proper way that he saw fit to. If my child went to put his/her hand in an outlet, I would have done the same thing. this is only my opinion. It was far better then the child being harmed by what he was about to do. Some have made it sound like he beat his child, I really don't think that was the case here.

• larc
    larc

Dear Big, thank you so much for pointing out what I thought was obvious. God bless you.

• teejay
    teejay

Larc (got your mail),

I'm under the impression that you saw my post as a response to an ongoing discussion *you're* having here. It isn't. My single post in this thread has nothing to do with you.

When I open threads that I want to comment on, I ususally only read the author's opening words. Sometimes I might read one or two of the first responses but usually I don't. I don't want to my thoughts to get muddied by what others have said. After then posting my own ideas, I go back and read the thread.

So, when I posted, I wasn't talking to you. Sorry if it seemed like I was.

ps, when it comes to toddlers, there's not much you can do--can't exactly sit them down and have a heart to heart. Slapping the hand to prevent a shock and teach them to stay away from outlets is a very small price for a kid to pay. I don't see *anything* wrong in that.

• Nowhere
    Nowhere

LB: "Please don't have children. Or if you do at least be more open to the possibility that your child may need to be spanked."

Did you know I could get in jail for doing that?

"The key here nowhere is you have a closed mind about this."

Oh I see, I don't want to spank or hit my child. Therefore I have a closed mind. Maybe if I decide to kick my baby, I would have an even opener mind?

larc: "This is my third explanation. My son was a toddler."

Ok, how about lifting him away from the outlet then? I don't see a big problem here either. I'm against spanking. You slaped your kid two times, no big deal. It happend once, so what? I'm against spanking as a punishment.

StinkyPanz:"I am a psychology major "

Ok, you are a child psychologist? Then you probably know why spanking is going to hurt lot's of kids in areas where spanking still is on the right side of the law.

"Unfortunately studies show that around 90% of parents spank their children (APAM). So you don't respect almost all of the parents you know."

If it is true, yes. But I live in a country where spanking is against the law. I do not think 90% of the parents I know spank their children. I would have no problem reporting it to the police if they didn't stopped when told.

"So you consider spanking bad conduct and violent?"

Yes. You would probably consider it violent to if someone walked up to you and slaped you.

Princess:

"Nowhere wants to condemn those who spank and tell us that he/she has no respect for us."

Yes, bad bad Nowhere. And poor poor us. He want's to condemn us because we want the right to hit or kids. I mean, how stupid can he be?

• LB
    LB

Did you know I could get in jail for doing that?

Bull

And why did you even bother to start this thread anyway?

144001, listen you prick. When I have to choose between my child's death and slapping his hand, I will slap his hand. Do you have any sense at all?? WTF are you trying to talk about? - - Larc

Larc,

Did I hit a nerve? Are you really ashamed of the barbaric manner in which you raise your kids? Is that the reason you've stooped to using profanity in this discussion? Professor? Ha Ha. Who do you teach, and more importantly, who is foolish enough to take anything you say seriously?

I laughed at your efforts to represent yourself as an authority on child rearing, merely because you have three kids, which you implied gives you better perspective than one who has only one child. I may have only one child, but I don't need to hit her. I have a brain, unlike you, and I try to use it instead of resorting to violence. You should start attending meetings at the kingdom hall again, where beating children in the manner you've described is an accepted and revered practice.

It is indeed a shame that you are unable to keep your composure when faced with discussions that make you uncomfortable about your conduct.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Ok, you are a child psychologist? Then you probably know why spanking is going to hurt lot's of kids in areas where spanking still is on the right side of the law.

From the studies that I have read most psychologists only theorizethat spanking can be harmful. Unfortunately there is no proof. Most studies have been inconclusive on either side.

"According to a 1992 survey, nearly 60 percent of pediatricians disagree that spanking is harmful. They believe that spanking, done appropriately, can actually teach kids to behave.

How do you determine whether a kid turned out bad because his parents spanked him? How does a shrink determine that? You mean, ever since Timmy's dad spanked him outside of the "It's a Small World" ride at , the kid went "postal"? Give me a break. How many variables play a role in emotional development? Complex stuff, parenting.

And what of the role of siblings, friends, teachers, schools, religion? How can "experts" determine the impact of spanking without comparing two identical children, one receiving spankings, the other not? Without this, the "experts" simply speculate. But what about the reverse? Suppose a non-spanked kid "turns bad." Do we argue that a judiciously administered swat or two might have turned little Johnnie around?

Besides, who better can determine the appropriate combination of "carrot and stick" in motivating and punishing a child? Maybe that childs parents.

90 percent of parents surveyed do spank, my parents among them.

Also, a recent issue of U.S. News & World Report discusses a 1996 review of the spanking research. Robert E. Larzelere, the director of residential research at in , looked at 166 spanking studies. After examining the data, he "failed to find any convincing evidence that non-abusive spanking, as typically used by parents, damaged children."

At a 1996 of Pediatrics conference, Larzelere presented the research. After reviewing the data presented by Larzelere and others, the two conference organizers wrote, "We must confess that we had a preconceived notion that corporal punishment, including spanking, was innately and always 'bad.'" But "given a relatively 'healthy' family life in a supportive environment, spanking in and of itself is not detrimental to a child or predictive of later problems."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit