To spank or not to spank?

by Nowhere 119 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Nowhere-

I don't know if you can't but most of us see a difference between spanking a child a beating a child. I personally was spanked as a child and now as an adult I feel as if I benefitted from it. My parents never, ever left marks or bruises so in my eyes I was not beaten. Can you see the difference between them? Someone embedded a page that was anti spanking. . well plenty of people think a little spank from time to time is beneficial; with scientific studies to back them:

http://www.dadi.org/cy-spank.htm

University of California, Berkeley, We found no evidence for unique detrimental effects of normative physical punishment, co-author Diana Baumrind told the American Psychological Association.

http://www.polkonline.com/stories/062802/opi_spank.shtml

Of course this is one of those arguments where research will be 50% for spanking and 50% against. This is a personal choice and probably always will be

Are some kids born bad? And you have to beat it out of them?

Once again the words beat and spank are different:

spank Pronunciation Key (sp
    v. spanked, spanking, spanks
    v. tr.

To slap on the buttocks with a flat object or with the open hand, as for punishment.

beat Pronunciation Key (b
    v. beat, beaten, (bbeat beating, beats
    v. tr.

1. To strike repeatedly.
      2. To subject to repeated beatings or physical abuse; batter.
      3. To punish by hitting or whipping; flog.

So NO it is not okay to beat a child, but spanking one is okay.

1. LB
      LB

exactly, I don't equate spanking with a beating. And I feel sorry for parents who think it's the same thing. A swat is very acceptable in my book. Some kids need that. Never in anger of course.

One of my 3 boys never responded to anything other than a spanking. Nothing else worked. My youngest son never once needed to be spanked.

2. Farkel
      Farkel

When my children acted up, talking with them never worked. "Time outs" never worked, either. Neither did spanking. I had to resort to "drowning."

Farkel

3. Crazy151drinker
      Crazy151drinker

There is nothing wrong with spanking it, I just cant do it at work :(

4. Simon
      Simon

Ours need a smack sometimes but usually talking to them is more effective. I'd never beat them although when we're out and they are being naughty I aske them "who wants a beating?" - this normally get's them laughing and they start behaving (if we're lucky!).

I know I shouldn't laugh but the sometimes when they answer back they are so funny. If Dylan has a light smack he with just say "missed" (but with a slight lisp so it's more like "mithed") or "didn't hurt" in such a cute voice with a big grin. He copies what he says from 'hero' older brother of course!

5. Big Tex
      Big Tex

With my 6 year old son, all I've ever needed to do was make a growling noise (like an old bear). For him, that is the ultimate punishment, far worse than any spanking. It reduces him to tears and he's immediately contrite. His sister on the other hand . . . .

6. mevirginia
      mevirginia

and has constantly through the ages mocked child psychologists who said that beating your children will hurt them. So why haven't I heard of this?

You're not alone, I have personally never heard anyone mocking anyone else about BEATING children.

That is a bit radical.

7. Scarlet
      Scarlet

I believe you spank a child only if nothing else works and only one swat on the butt. But I know in the USA you can have you children taken away from you if you smack them in public.

8. mevirginia
      mevirginia

a psychologist says

They're all kinds of psychologist with all kinds of opinions.

One of the most renowned psychologists said that all boys have supressed feelings of wanting to have sex with their mothers. Just one example that came to mind.

Edited by - mevirginia on 21 August 2002 1:42:36

9. Trauma_Hound
      Trauma_Hound

I was spanked through out my jw child hood, not one swat, but several at a time on my bare bottom with a leather belt, I don't do it to my kid, there was a point, where it didn't hurt anymore and simply one day turned around and said to my dad, are you finished? He didn't spank me again, but he did smack me across the face once in a public park, when I called him an asshole, when I was about 16.

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit