My Issue: How To Step Down As A MS Without Getting Noticed

by JW_Rogue 67 Replies latest jw experiences

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

So that other thread was fun but now I need some help with something. I was born in the truth most of my family is in. Although they aren't outwardly super spiritual I doubt any of them would ever leave. We have all been in the same hall since forever. I'm a MS which really complicates things, I don't go out in service much just enough to not be irregular. I thought perhaps this would lead to me getting deleted but it hasn't happened. I think the reason is that I handle some responsibilities that other brothers don't want to do. I can see that some brothers may feel that I just need "encouragement" and I could take the next step to being an Elder. I feel this is coming down the pipeline after the study on training others and "disengaged" brothers.

I would like to step down as a first step towards distancing myself from this organization. I just don't see how I could do it that will not set off alarm bells and lead to people "encouraging" me. Even if I become irregular in service that will be warning sign. I really just don't see how I can get out of this.

• cappytan
    cappytan

There is no way to step down or get deleted without setting off alarm bells.

But, stepping down, although will lead to "love bombing" at first, isn't that big of a deal. You'll still be in "good standing" with the congregation.

People will want to know why. You need to start laying the foundation in their minds that you're having anxiety problems.

Then, the night of your next part, tell the brother you're having a panic attack and can't give it.

Once that happens, you could then say, "Brothers, I need to get help for my anxiety. I'm seeing a therapist at the moment and it is helping. But right now, I don't think I can handle the pressure my privileges create. I am stepping down immediately."

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    The one problem i found in stepping down is, as you are mentioning, doimg it worh some dignity or without raising alarms. Much easier said than done. For me it took 4 years and a somewhat accidental incident with a family member to let me step down gracefully (at least as far the org goes)..... That dosent sound like an option for you, being young and single. You can play the stress/anxiety card but they will push and offer to lighten your load. Be prepared to be firm. Be gracious but resolute that this is what you need to do for now. Tell them in a 6 months or so you hope to be back etc etc..... But they wont let you put easy.
  • JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    I don't think I could pull of the whole anxiety issue. I've been giving talks since I was a kid it would be very strange to all of the sudden start having anxiety about it. I'm married so I could try the "stepping down to focus on my family" but then I'd be putting my wife through undue scrutiny. Perhaps leave to foreign language group where I'd be virtually invisible (and useless to the Elders).
  • millie210
    millie210

Can you get a job that will demand your time?

Financial issues and monetary concerns are things people universally understand.

Maybe it could work hand in hand with the "anxiety" Cappy mentioned?

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Pull out the ole sick card. Start out gradual, i.e. migraine headaches, joint pain or play the extremely busy card, ie. long work hours or traveling.

It will be more difficult since your family all attends the same hall. It may take some time and patience on your part.

This will begin you distancing yourself but once you decide to completely fade they will try and love bomb you back in.

They have tried love bombing us and we give them NOTHING. I owe them NOTHING.

Keep us posted.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Can't be done without getting noticed. Best bet is just to say you are very busy with your life and need to just take care of stuff. Then they will pitty you and people will wonder if you didn't something bad or if you aren't strong enough to cope with "this system of things" or you are materialistic. Witnesses are conditioned to jump to conclusions that make them comfortable. So you are going to be judged someway.
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Foreign language field has been used successfully, by one man from this bord that I spoke with IRL on occasion
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    cut back on everything. when the loving attention starts--just tell the individual----never more than one at a time-----that youre very stressed with money worries--and ask them for a loan to help you out. chances are they will leave you alone--or you might end up better off.
  • berrygerry
    berrygerry
    Foreign language lets you step down automatically AND facilitates a fade.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit