How Good and Pleasant It Is . . .

by comforter 73 Replies latest jw friends

• comforter
    comforter

stinky

it good to be ignorant of some things. i glad my pappy never taught me to hate black folk or call them bad names. my point about jim crow laws was that i dont understand where colored folk coming from cause i aint been through their experiences.

larc

glad to see progress is being made in the world with race relations. i will start study as soon as you go see the elders.

comfy

• comforter
    comforter

stinky

you must not have been down south usa before. a man from down south got mad when i called him black. he say to call him colored.

comfy

• LB
    LB

I've been to the south, recently even. I recall in the 1960's walking down the street and a black man stepped off the sidewalk until I passed by. That made me sooo uncomfortable. Then another black man in a checkout line in front of me offered me to go ahead of him. I had lots of things, he had a couple of items.

Now in 1962 blacks most likely would prefer to be called colored instead of other names they were being called. But not today, not in this country, not anywhere.

Still since you are in the south I know there are many places for you to get the information you seek. I implore you to do this. Do it tonight. Clubs are still open, do this.

• comforter
    comforter

lb

comforter did not say he from south. but he know people from south usa and he visit there. comfy cannot find out about colored culture from clubs because he dont club.

comfy

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

it good to be ignorant of some things. i glad my pappy never taught me to hate black folk or call them bad names. my point about jim crow laws was that i dont understand where colored folk coming from cause i aint been through their experiences.

Actually ignorance is rarely a good thing; you gave a bad example too. My husband (who is white) has a very racist mother and he learned a lot from that. As far as Jim Crow laws. . . umm I still don't understand your point. I am 23 so I didn't live during that time either. My parents are financially well off and I rarely deal with any kind of rascism. . so even though that is the case I still know that the word "colored" is NOT what average white person calls me or others of African descent. The only time I've been called colored was by a racist old white man.

• larc
    larc

Brother Comforter, I have been inactive for almost 40 years. I live in a place where no JWs know me, so, could we just have our Bible study without contacting the local elders? I want to present myself to them as pure and clean, theologicly speaking, and I am sure our study will do that for me.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I have been down South actually. My mother is from Mississippi, let me ask her what she'd think if a white guy calling her colored, maybe that can settle things.

• comforter
    comforter

???Actually ignorance is rarely a good thing; you gave a bad example too.???

but ignorance can be a good thing. the bible say be babes as to badness. i do not have to experience or do evil to know that i should not do evil deeds.

???My husband (who is white) has a very racist mother and he learned a lot from that. As far as Jim Crow laws. . . umm I still don't understand your point.???

my point is that slavery and jim crow laws is part of colored people history. you may not have went rhrough them but somebody in your family maybe did. it is a part of your heritage.

??? I am 23 so I didn't live during that time either. My parents are financially well off and I rarely deal with any kind of rascism. . so even though that is the case I still know that the word "colored" is NOT what average white person calls me or others of African descent. The only time I've been called colored was by a racist old white man.???

well i aint no racist. colored just seem like a nice word for people of color.

comforter

• comforter
    comforter

larc

comfy like to follow theocratic order. he must wait until the elders ok study.

stinky

not all colored people feel the same about this subject.

comforter

• larc
    larc

Comforter, well, OK fine, I will call the kingdom hall tomorrow and see if I can arrange a meeting with the elders, so they can approve my personal Bible study with you. I will be back later, to let you know their decision. I was wondering, could you e-mail me your address and the address of your Kingdom Hall, so the elders in my area can confirm that you are for real?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit