How Good and Pleasant It Is . . .

by comforter 73 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Well I think I'll stick my big nose in this little discussion. I'm a southern boy and if it means anything, my step-mother is black. However, I've got some friends in England, and when I was still going to meetings, we took them to our meeting. The woman was delighted about everything Texas (she adored the show "Dallas") and in particular the ethnic diversity in our congregation. She very brightly, and in nice loud voice, said, "My you do have an awful lot of coloreds here." After I scraped my jaw off the floor, I quickly pointed out that in this country, particularly in the southern US, one does not refer to people of color as "Coloreds". Jess was a bit embarrassed, but she told me that in the UK, it is offensive to refer to those with darker skin as "blacks". She said the preferred term is "coloured". Now, I don't know how accurate this is or not, but perhaps Comforter was making the same mistake my friend Jess made.

We've got many members here from the Mother Country, is this true? Enquiring minds want to know . . .

• ISP
    ISP

Back to comforters point......there is discussion here and disagreements from time to time. Comparisons with dubs are not valid because they have an enforced 'unity'. The view of all except the GB is what counts there. If someone was to look at our parliament you would see a fair amount of argument! But would you rather live in a totalitarian state?

ISP

• comforter
    comforter

larc

i am real or else you need to see a psychiatrist quick. <LOL> since you been carrying on dyalogue with comforter for pages and pages. i am real.

as for my address and congregation address, it would not do me any good to supply it to yew anyways. nobuddy in my congregatiuon know me as comforter. that is only a nom dee plume.

comfrt

• comforter
    comforter

isp

theocracy can never be totalitarianism. Jehovah God is the great theocrat. His organisation follow his lead. so while jw believe in unity, we not believe uniformity when it come to thought. comforter have his own opinion about thing and he voice them. he never felt that jw organisation totalitarian.

comfy

• comforter
    comforter

isp

disagree without being disagreeable. you do not have to insult someone with cuss word like farkel does or say bad thing about someone momma because you disagree. that what comofrter is surprised at in this place.

comfy

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Get my ice skates, hell has frozen over. I agree with comfortor.

LOL @ Anton!

That's the one-liner of the week!

Thanks.

Cheers, Ozzie

• larc
    larc

Comforter, I am retired and I can't afford a psychiatrist. However, I can see a psychologist, myself. So, I will just talk to myself. I do that often.

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

Larc,

Just as well you aren't a "self-serving" procologist.....

Edited by - gravedancer on 17 August 2002 10:0:22

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Comforter,

I was born in Louisiana and have lived in the South all my life. I would love you to come down to Tallahassee, where I live now (or La.) and call my black friends "people of color." And I promise not to take you to bars, because I don't frequent them either. It won't take you very long to find out what they think of being called "colored." A few blacks whom you claim prefer to be called "colored" do not the majority make. So don't offend the greater number who don't like that title, just because you and a few (although I have yet to meet those few you mention in the South) see nothing wrong with it. Does "people of color" include whites? If not, why not? White is a color, isn't it? So much for disagreeing agreeably!

• comforter
    comforter

kenne

like you say, not all colored folks agree on this point. comforter try not to offend but he think some things silly. he cannot see why people make big deal about term colored or why some people think Amos and Andy was so offensive. it was a good show.

as far as color white, it is not a true color. it is a negation of a color.

comfy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit