How could have Rutherford been a 'drunk'?

by wholewheat 99 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am just joining this thread, haven't tried to read 4 pages, just skimmed it.

Here's a fine example of success despite heavy drinking, a president even:

Ulysses S. Grant. 18th president of the United States (1869-1877). His drinking seems to have been brought on by boredom. In other words, when he wasn't busy, he drank. It did interfere with his work enough that he was relieved of his military duties in 1854. The Civil War came along and his drinking lessened, but did not stop. He drank, but continued to function, throughout the Civil War, emerging a hero. Voted to the presidency in 1868, he died shortly after his second term of throat cancer.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Oh, and Ted Kennedy.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Farkel just read your excellent post about the Judges Mansions. Did you ever take any photo's?

• Mary
    Mary
    Reniaa said: You would have to show me he was arrested a few times for drunken disorderliness before this particular gossip sticks.

Oh bullshit. Someone could find Rutherfraud's membership to AA with a picture of him smashed out of his skull dressed in a Santa suit porking a llama and you'd find some stupid reason to defend him. No doubt it would be something along the lines of: 'well what about all the Catholics that get drunk?' or something equally as braindead as the vast majority of your comments.

Go have a drink Reniaa. That is, if you can find the time to have a drink between (supposedly) taking care of a severely handicapped child, while posting on here 24-7.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I think this is kind of silly-you are parsing words over the difference between alcoholic and drunk. When your spouse leaves you and your own child has nothing to do with you there may be some indications of the 'drunk' who has serious life issues over the drinking. Add to that, you can read some of the nonsense he wrote and viola! You have a drunk megalomanic. Because the alcoholism seems to be undisputed. The nutsy thinking is undisputed.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Gossip and hearsay are powerful weapons easily falling into exageration. Michael jackson also suffered this even paying settlements because of public arena gossip when the child involved actually denied any abuse as an adult.

You would have to show me he was arrested a few times for drunken disorderliness before this particular gossip sticks.

Remind me guys to accuse anyone who has colon cancer of being an alcoholic they must love that!

Reniaa

The topic is`nt about Michael Jackson..

There are plenty of eye witness accounts you chose to ignore..

You never going to comprehend anything,until you pull you head out of your ass..

But..

That would involve major surgey and probably kill you..

....................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Just strolled in here to give a big ol' LOL to avishai at the bottom of page 3.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Clayton Woodworth was neither a "hearsay" witness, nor someone with an axe to grind against Rutherford. He did not accuse Salter of lying nor say that Rutherford was purchasing liquor for others. Woodworth confirms that the liquor was for Rutherford's consumption and explains that it was used for treating severe chronic pain (caused by a rheumatic disorder, possibly ankylosing spondylitis). The severity of this pain was summed up by Rutherford's chiropractor (i.e. Alta Eckols): "He is bearing a burden that would utterly crush you". If alcohol was used to manage Rutherford's chronic pain (as it depresses a person's central nervous system), as indicated by Woodworth, then Rutherford's drinking was persistent and chronic. It was not a matter of having an occasional beer for relaxation; Rutherford drank to ease his great nervous strain, or so Woodworth says. Prior to Prohibition, doctors routinely prescribed alcohol, especially whiskey, to treat pneumonia as well as pain, and while this was less common during Prohibition, it was legal for doctors to prescribe alcohol for patients. Chronic drinking, particularly drinking aimed to successfully attain a state of nervous system depression, easily leads to dependency. That Rutherford was prescribed liquor is indicated by the account given by the wife of a San Diego drugstore owner who recalled that Rutherford was sold "great quantities of liquor when he came to purchase medicines". It is telling, however, that Rutherford obtained his liquor not just through a doctor's prescription in the United States — he had Salter (as confirmed by Wainwright in an interview with Penton, and undisputed by Woodworth in response to Salter) secretly send him from Canada untold quantities of whiskey and beer. This would have been in addition to whatever liquor he was able to obtain through prescription. That Rutherford was so keen on obtaining liquor, even through illegal means, is pretty indicative of dependency to me.

• chasson
  • Farkel
    Farkel

JWDaughter,

:I think this is kind of silly-you are parsing words over the difference between alcoholic and drunk.

The difference is simple: alcoholics have to go to classes!

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit