How could have Rutherford been a 'drunk'?

by wholewheat 99 Replies latest jw friends

• You Know
    You Know

Rutherford was a lousy drunk. Just ask any apostate dub. In fact read some books written by apostates, and they'll tell ya. LOL / You Know

• Mary
    Mary

There are various degress of alcoholism, but without any doubt, Rutherford most definitely had a "drinking problem". This could account for his rather bizarre behaviour at times; his dictatorlike-rule of the Organization, his idea that 'only the best will do for me', his arrogance, his hatred of the Jews (as is documented in the letter to Hitler telling him how the Organization "stands for the same high moral principles as the Third Reich") his weird ideas about the Beth-Sarim house and the "imminent" resurrection of all the 'faithful ones of old'......his verbal comments that Prohibition was from "the Devil"..........the guy was really out to lunch and did alot of damage.......

Winston Churchill is known bascially as a 'war hero', but he drank an excessive amount of booze every day, so it is certainly possible to be an alcoholic and run a corporation.............

• Farkel
    Farkel

YK,

: Rutherford was a lousy drunk.

He certainly was. Have you read his book Enemies? It even eclipses the hate you spew.

Farkel

• wholewheat
    wholewheat

There are a few things to consider. I didn't post this to play a semantics game. The impression that the apostates give is that Rutherford was a lunatic drunk who was probably in the 5th stage of alchoholism. Remember, Jesus was called a "drunk" by his critics. Should we believe them? Even among fellow witnesses I have observed brothers and sisters being called "drunkards" by those witnesses who don't drink, and I myself have been accused of drinking too much after having a couple of drinks, and I hardly drink. It is a common thing for non-drinkers to be critical of even social drinkers, and this could be the case with Saltzer and Moyle. Remember, they were bitter apostates, how could they give an unbiased view of Rutherford and his drinking? Please give some facts of Rutherford being a drunk from an unbiased source and then I could accept these accusations. Also, in an article in National Gragraphic titled "Alcohol", it was noted that NO ONE ever had seen Winston Churchill drunk. He drank eveyday, but would not have even been considered a 'problem drinker'. Is it possible that Rutherford falls into this catagory?

• cyrano
    cyrano

JUDGE RUTHERFORD LOVED HIS BOOZE SO MUCH, HE CALLED PROHIBITION THE SCHEME OF SATAN!

"Recently the President of our Association (Judge Rutherford), responding to a question concerning the Eighteenth Amendment of the Constitution of the United States, which prohibits the manufacture, sale and transportation of intoxicating liquor within the United States and which is known as the prohibition law, said: Prohibition is a scheme of the devil, referring of course to the law above mentioned. Some of the brethren have made strenuous protests against this statement." (Watchtower Nov 1, 1924)

Needless to say, the congregations were shocked.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Buckwheat said, "...I didn't post this to play a semantics game. ...Saltzer (sic)and Moyle... were bitter apostates, how could they give an unbiased view of Rutherford and his drinking? Please give some facts of Rutherford being a drunk from an unbiased source and then I could accept these accusations."

One has to wonder, Buckwheat, what your thought process is.

You say you don't want to play a semantics game, and then you demonstrate semantic variations in the use of the term "alcoholic."

You're clearly unwilling to consider any evidence that comes form an apostate like Salter or Moyle, yet you wander in to an apostate discussion group like this and ask for facts from an "unbiased source."

What would you consider an unbiased source? Fred Franz? Nathan Knorr? Alexander H. McMillan? Haden Covington? They each knew, and in their misplaced loyalty to "God's servant" they covered for "The Judge."

Why don't you go to the official Watchtower discussion group and post a message for one of the members of the governing body to answer?

Oh, that's right, in Watchtowerland there is no freeand open discussion or asking of questions - those are apostate activities.

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 28 June 2002 18:20:53

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 28 June 2002 18:24:26

• larc
    larc

Moyle was not an apostate. He was disillusioned by the conduct at Bethel. He simply wanted to resign his position and return home and start a private practice. Regarding Rutherford. No one here said he was drunk all the time. As Farkel put it, he probably would be considered a functional drunk. Now, whether he was an alcoholic, a problem drinker or a heavy drinker, fact is he broke the law and had liquor smuggled in. I would consider that as being behavior unbecoming of a Christian.

• SYN
    SYN

Larc: Rutherford probably thought of it as Theocratic Warfare, not a criminal act.

• cyrano
    cyrano

'Judge' Rutherford deciding more armegeddon predictions-

• Farkel
    Farkel

wholewheat,

: There are a few things to consider. I didn't post this to play a semantics game. The impression that the apostates give is that Rutherford was a lunatic drunk who was probably in the 5th stage of alchoholism.

You don't, eh? Well, you either make up shit or you DO play the semantics game. Which is it? I've read literally TONS of not only Rutherford's stuff, but what other ex-JWs and even JW's have said about him, and I never heard it said ONCE that he was in the "5th stage of alcoholism." (I thought there were only 4 stages.)

Care to produce evidence? Not just one piece of evidence but more than one piece since you yourself said it was "apostates" who said this.

"I don't play semantics games," my ass.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit