How could have Rutherford been a 'drunk'?

by wholewheat 99 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hey Buckwheat,

I realized why you have problems with Farkel's well thought out and patient replies -- Farkel neglected to provide you with STUDY QUESTIONS that could point you to the correct answers. Here are some STUDY QUESTIONS. Now go get your best red pencil and underline the correct answers when you se them on your computer monitor.

1. It has often been said that Jehovah's Witnesses use what two kinds of arguments?

2. Is it not without good reason that Jehovah's Witnesses are said to use the phrase, "wouldn't you agree" too much?

3. Who's yer daddy?

4. (a) Which widely recognized members of Judge Rutherford's inner circle made comments about "the Judge's" affinity for alcohol?
    (b) Where can such evidence be found?

5. (a) Are you as lazy as Farkel suspects you are?
    (b) Does Jehovah approve of laziness?
    (c) What are the consequences of laziness, now and eternally?
    (d) Therefore, what sort of persons ought we be?

6. A "red herring" is:
    (a) often served with loaves
    (b) a descriptive name for a type of logical fallacy
    (c) a piscine communist

7. Exaggeration is a helpful tool in debate. True or false?

8. It has often been said that we are ready to begin learning when we admit we don't have all the answers. Wouldn't you argee?

9. Is it possible for popular or powerful men to conceal their flaws from the general public? Give examples.

10. What are some examples of misinformation generally accepted as true in the community of Jehovah's Witnesses?

11. (a) Which is more difficult: being the head of a small religious sect or leading a nation to victory over Nazism?
    (b) Is it conceivable that both deeds could have been done by men who were alcoholic?

12. (a) Has Buckwheat produced a single shred of evidence to support his claims against "apostates"?
    (b) What does this reveal about the soundness of buckwheat's claims?

13. (a)Does the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society encourage people like Buckwheat to investigate the actual history of the WTS?
    (b) Why not?

14. Are you willing to do the hard work that Farkel has done, or are you just going to speculate like all lazy dubs do and wait for someone to spoon-feed you the answers you don't care to hear in the first place?

15. Who's yer daddy?

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 28 June 2002 22:21:8

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 29 June 2002 1:15:49

• CoolBreeze
    CoolBreeze

When I was in highschool, I wrote a paper on the presidency of Ulysses S. Grant. Now there was a major drunk. Did you know that during a review of troops he was so drunk he fell off his horse and broke his wrist? He bacame so drunk during a world tour, that he wound up having sex with his wife in front of several wide eyed sailors. During the battle of Shilo he managed not to pass out untill the battle was over. So saying that Rutheford couldn't run an organization made up of a bunch of followers who thought he was a direct channel to God if he was an alcoholic, is quite clearly speculation on your behalf.

Anton

• JG
    JG

. Rutherford died of rectum cancer. Now, I know there's a pun in there somewhere, but I just for the life of me can't see it. Someone help me out here.

Francois

Ayye laddie there is, Rectum ya say 'Hell it kilt 'Im

Edited by - JG on 28 June 2002 23:11:44

• moman
    moman

Come on, Rutherfords nick-name was:

"Booze Rutherford" lol

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Francois asked, " Rutherford died of rectum cancer. Now, I know there's a pun in there somewhere, but I just for the life of me can't see it. Someone help me out here."

They tried to save him with a transplant, but the asshole rejected him. BA-DUM -Bump!

• rmayer32
    rmayer32
    No drunk could have ruled the Society like a dictator

With all due respect.. BULLSHIT!

-Rick

• wholewheat
    wholewheat

I think everyone should carefully read my original post. I never said that Rutherford wasn't an alcoholic. I said that I felt that his drinking was blown out of proportion. I have read various comments on the net about Rutherford as follows:

-He had to be helped to the podium at a San Diego convention to give a talk because he was so drunk.

-He would get drunk then write Watchtower articles.

-He would get drunk then talk to spirits.

-He had beer parties at Bethel.

-The brothers had to move him to Beth Serim because he would get drunk at Bethel and walk down the hallways and make scenes by yelling and carrying on.

-He stayed drunk while he lived in the San Diego mansion.

There is a saying that says all drunks are alcoholics, but not all alcoholics are drunks. I never said that the apostates said he was in the '5 stage' of alcoholism, I said that they are giving the IMPRESSION, yes the IMPRESSION that he was a chronic, lunatic alcoholic. Have any of you ever heard of the word 'facetious'? That word means 'not be taken seriously'. I was being facetious when mentioning '5th stage alcoholism'. I was suggesting that his drinking could have been on the order of a Winston Churchill, and not some 'out of his mind' drunk. I asked if there was a source that was not biased towards Rutherford that could confirm that he was a 'drunk'. I can accept that he was an alcoholic, but that he was a drunk, I wanted to know if there was another source other than his enemies. Did he drink everyday? How much did he drink? What did he drink? What was his alcohol blood level content? Come on!! Surely you experts would know the answers to these questions!

• larc
    larc

Get real Wholewheat, no one can answer the questions you pose. Now, why don't you address the questions I asked you on my last post. Also, if you want to learn more about Rutherford, please read my recent thread, the story of Berta. Have a nice day.

• wholewheat
    wholewheat

larc,

your questions have nothing to do with my original question, but I will answer your questions.

You asked:'What was Beth Sarim and Beth Shan?

answer:...Beth Sarim was built in 1929 for Rutherford to live in. It was believed that the ancient worthies would come back and live there. Beth Shan was built with a bomb shelter to protect Rutherford in case war broke out on American soil.

You asked:'What does the Proclaimers book say as to the purpose of Beth Sarim?

answer:...The Proclaimers book says that it was built for Rutherford to live there during the winter months because of his poor health.

You asked:'What was the religous belief regarding the purpose of Beth Sarim?

answer:..Rutherford taught that Abraham, Issac, Jacob, David and others were going to be resurrected and rule the earth. The house was built so that they would have a place to live. Rutherford was just house sitting till they arrived.

OK larc. I answered your questions, now would you kindly answer mine?

• ballistic
    ballistic

wholewheat, I just read the entire post and I think you are expecting a lot. Unless we could go back in time and hire a private detective to record Rutherford's actions on video camera or maybe get a signed confession, I don't see how this line of questioning can end.

You agree he had a drink problem to some degree or other. Some apostates, but not all, may exaggerate his alcoholism, as people generally do. I don't think anyone would be suprised if the Watchtower kept his actions quiet. We all agree that there is difficulty in defining degrees of dependancy on alcohol.

It is also a fact that there were many, many things back then, such as the celebrating of Christmas, which would get one disfellowshipped today. While we cannot hold this against those who practised such things, it does throw light on the societies claims to have been God's channel from day one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit