Proof - of what?

by Doltologist 91 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

A few weeks ago, these two Jovies turned up on my doorstep. Being in a good mood that particular day, I told them that if they could prove that god existed, I'd become a Jovie - and I meant every word.

They gave me two documents which they asked me read and told me that they'd be back in a week. The first was called "Was Life Created?" and the second was called "The Origin of life - five questions worth asking".

I read them and, quite frankly, felt insulted. If these two documents were meant to prove the existence of god, then I despair.

The only people that believed in god after reading these two documents were probably Jovies already because sure as hell, I wasn't convinced by any of its contents. That said, they were cleverly written in that they caused the reader to answer questions posed by the documents in such a way that they gave the wrong answer which, eventually, led to the conclusion that there must be a god. Let me give you an example: "The answer to the question, Where do babies come from? is well-documented and uncontroversial. Life always comes from preexisting life. However, if we go back far enough in time, is it really possible that this fundamental law was broken? Could life spontaneously spring from non-living chemicals? What are the chances that such an event could happen?"

The way that these questions are posed are meant to cause us to think that life cannot spontaneously spring from "non-living chemicals" and that the chances of this happening is slim to none. We are therefore meant to think that it must have been god that created life.

However, life exists and, if god didn't create it, it must have been created spontaneously. Also, the chances of it happening are slim but they aren't ZERO. That's the point, if we have enough attempts to create life, eventually, we will succeed. Also, I have a Chemistry degree and I have never heard of a 'non-living chemical'.

The Jovies came back to talk to me and I demolished them and they went off with their tails between their legs.

It wasn't a waste of my time though. I was also curious about Jovies. It's almost impossible to destroy their faith and, believe me, I've tried. So why is their faith so steadfast? Well, it's because they don't really get preached to. They get asked lots of questions which they answer. However, the questions are posed in such a way that the answers that they arrive at are wrong. BUT, they arrive at the wrong answers themselves and therefore believe them. Pretty soon, they have an incorrect view of the world in which god exists and has done all of these groovy things such as created the universe and life, yada yada.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    Yes, witnesses can not be reasoned with UNLESS they are individually ready to look "outside of the box"....
  • dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    The 'astronomically low' chances of chemicals lining up in just the right way never convinced me. I always reasoned that it only would have to happen once, and since life is here, it could have happened. For instance, I can shuffle a deck of cards, and the probability of them being in a particular order is 52!, astronomically high. But it just happened, once. The WT argument never made sense.
  • cappytan
    cappytan

This is a great story. haha!

Good job!

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

“Being in a good mood that particular day, I told them that if they could prove that god existed, I’d become a Jovie - and I meant every word”.

Really??? You actually meant every word??? If anyone could prove to me that god existed, JWs would the among the last religions on earth I would join.

• millie210
    millie210

I think you were pretty safe in telling them if they proved it you would join up!

Of course they cant prove it - just like no one can prove God doesnt exist on the flip side.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

They are brainwashed. It's that simple. Their neurons actually fire differently than those of a non-brainwashed human.

The un-brainwashed mind thinks logically with very few thought-stopping phrases or mantras preventing rational thought. Not so with a J-dub. When faced with logic and facts/truth, they actually encounter mental pain in the form of cognitive dissonance. Their brains then perform gymnastics ( neural pathways to circumvent the pain, or detours around facts ) to arrive again at their "truth."

DD

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I was also curious about Jovies. It's almost impossible to destroy their faith and, believe me, I've tried. So why is their faith so steadfast?

................................THEY CAN`T HEAR YOU..
    ......................Image result for not listening

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

What's also apparent is that Jovies know Jack Shit about science and even less about the science being undertaken by CERN and MIT. So, even if one tried to explain to a Jovie how the universe could REALLY have been created, using one of several models and theories that have been developed, it would be pointless because they haven't got the mips, intellect or knowledge to understand. I guess for them it must be a case of they don't understand science and so they'll believe that god did it. That way, they won't have to think.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Science?!!? Jovies don't know shit about the ancient scrolls that the Council of Nicea decided to call "The Bible."

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit