A Plea For Responsible Reporting

by hillary_step 71 Replies latest jw friends

• Panda
    Panda

Hillary, You use words such as "generally" and "most", those words don't give me any facts whatso ever...very vague.

While I will support your right to vent against whiners , the whiners have the right to vent too. I understand what you are saying about getting facts straight. Yeah that's important. However, part of the usefulness in this forum is to sound off. I think the frankness (though sometimes raw) brings us all closer together. And if our information is imperfect well we aren't saying that Jehovah told us this or that thing, we heard it, maybe it's true maybe not.

You know if we had direct references... well an example of possible mis-information would be:
    I know of a specific congregation in a poor country who took care of a paraplegic...
    what congregation?
    Where?
    Who was the paraplegic?
    What did they feed him?
    Where did they bury him?
    Who were the folks who cared for him?

Hil what if...what if ...this paraplegic turned out to be a regular guy who broke his leg and was in a wheel chair for 6 weeks and his wife and daughters were the ones who took care of him? What if they were in say a house? And what if they all had cars? I mean you didn't tell us anything did you?
    I mean it's a nice warm story and it does belong here even if you don't give us the facts.

When you complain about getting our stories straight because of how it might affect others (those who are still dubs)then we are missing the whole purpose of chatting and sharing. After awhile you know whose posts to question. Using common sense and judgement are new to many who have spent years in the bORG. This is a great place to revive those skills so long suppressed.

What bothers me is that what you suggest as editing sounds a bit like "[We need] to watch how we walk and watch how we talk to stumble none in our ministry."

I'm glad you're here and hope you will continue to tell us what you really think.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Panda,

the whiners have the right to vent too.

You mean whiners are people too?

lol...What can I say but...goodnight.

HS

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

I've come to this discussion rather late, but I am guilty of saying snide remarks about my family members who are also elders. Even though my family are just people, they are people who have personally done me a great deal of harm. I've been on the receiving end of their hypocrisy and double standards and I find one or two of them to be very small people indeed. I'm usually pretty on the money re what I say about them - though I have no doubts that if the dub were taken out of them, they might be half decent people.

Actually though, you raise an interesting point. Accuracy in reporting may be important, but some of the subjects for discussion are far from suitable if it's our intention to help JWs to wake up. Some of the best posters here talk about wanting blow jobs etc from other desirable posters bla bla bla. Whilst I know this is just banter and very innocent for the most part, JWs looking in are not able to differentiate between what is playful naughtiness and what is truly wrong (many of the things they do).

This has been a problem since the inception of exjw internet sites. However I've been a member of one site or anotehr since 1996 and the numbers are growing fast. I guess our numbers would grow even faster if we could tame the little crowd, but it doesn't seem possible and in some ways I don't think it's fair to inflict rules that stiffle and which may or may not help Jo Witness to wake up. In some ways I don't feel responsible for getting people out. What can't be changed, must be endured.

Marilyn

• Panda
    Panda

Marilyn,
    TONS of stuff offends me on this website. However, I realize the need for some of this stuff. And If a friend said this stuff to my face I would just say I don't appreciate it. But some people insist on spouting scripture and being christians and believing fairytales..what can we do but bide our time? panda

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Ok..here's my take on what Hilary posted...

Example: Someone posted a thread with the titled (paraphrased) "Dubs don't like to tip". Then the thread went on about various experiences posters had with "cheap" witnesses and leaving WT's instead of money.

The title of the thread was an opinion expressed as FACT.

I do not think that Hilary has stated that people should stop sharing their own personal stories and experiences. However, they are unique experience of that poster. Many have similiar experiences and one can form a negative picture of the organization with those images. However, let the experiences speak for themselves without added sensationalism intended to inflame people unnecessarily.

Because there are evil elders, does not mean that ALL elders are evil, etc. for example.

Most witnesses are under the Watchtower spell just like so many people here were at one time.

Andee

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    hi plumbcrazy,
    thanks for the link,........are you a lawyer?
    who are you with?

i was encouraging them to go to silent lambs...

so you think i have a big mouth, cause i want victims to testify?

It was an open invitation plain and clear ane//Im//R/crawdad2. It's still open if you want to take advantage of it.
    My e-mail is open also. I will read anything you send WITH OUT ATTACHMENTS as long as it is at least close to civil.

If all you can do at this point is repeat yourself then your obviously only here to sound as bad as you possibly can and your using the whole victim thing as your excuse to rant. Bring on the victims that your advocating. Do you know who they are. I mean without having to go through threads and find some?

btw. through all of your angry ranting and raving from what I have read I see you as someone who is having a lot of fun and enjoying every moment that you are able to up set another poster.

"That's my story and I'm sticking to it" borrowed

good night.

.........................It's the silence between the notes, that make the music.....................
    http://ourworld.cs.com/Pwmkwzy/WELCOMEindex.html
  • crawdad2
    crawdad2

plmcrzy,...you forgot to mention if you were a lawyer,...go ahead and mention that, unless of course you aren't, cause i'm sure the victims want to know who you are, before they give you all the details.

i'm using the victim thing as an excuse to rant???
    in other words, shut up about all the rape victims???
    stop talking about the committe meetings?

i should instuct them to go to your site, or shut up???
    who are you plmcrzy?.......
    i was telling them to go to silent lambs..
    i didn't know that you were in charge, and that they better go to you or shut up.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I didn't know that Bill was a attorney.

I thought you were only interested in exposing everyone?

Your the one doing all the accusing.
    I gave you an outlet and you are attempting to turn it around
    so that you can attack that too.
    I'm not at all supprised. Not one bit.
    You are very predictable.

run run run rabbit run

.........................It's the silence between the notes, that make the music.....................
    http://ourworld.cs.com/Pwmkwzy/WELCOMEindex.html
  • LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

No, crawdad2, you're wrong.

so you think i have a big mouth, cause i want victims to testify?
    We think you have a big mouth because you insist in putting it in motion before you put your brain in gear. The end result is that the goal you have (which is a good one) is set back due to your numbskull answers. That's makes you your own worst enemy, which is bad enough, but the truely sad part is that it also prolongs the injustices that the innocent have to suffer and hurts them worse.

As others have tried to tell you, you need to read AND GET THE MEANING of what others are saying without jumping to all kinds of stupid knee-jerk conclusions, BEFORE attempting to answer.

Your bull-headed and self-centered conduct on this thread reminds me of the guy they found back in Chicago one time. There was a sodden THUD followed by a scream of agony that came out of an apartment, followed by the same thing a few minutes later. After three or four more times, someone called 911.

When the cops got there, they broke down the door and rushed in, only to find this guy with his penis stretched out and supported on the table. It was ghastly looking, bleeding profusely and mashed almost beyond recognition. Before they could stop him, he hauled off and hit it again with the hammer in his hand.

When his scream had died away, they asked him in utter astonishment, "Wha . . . Why are you doing that????"

Came the answer: "Because it wants to pee and I won't let it."

Surely, crawdad2, you can do better than that.

LoneWolf

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

hi plmcrzy,
    so, you forgot to mention if you are an attorney again, right?
    after asking you twice....... well you must not be one.
    you gave me an outlet and i turned it all around?....hmmm, i thought it was more of a threat,(your words; put your money where your big mouth is).
    who are "you" to tell everyone who has been victimized by the watchtower cult, that they better report it to "you", and have all the facts ready, or shut up!......please tell me plmcrzy.
    and you accuse me of saying bill bowen is an attorney?.... what's your problem?.......i'm sending them to silent lambs, not the likes of you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit