A Plea For Responsible Reporting

by hillary_step 71 Replies latest jw friends

• bonovox
    bonovox

I think the many comments here reflect that a large number of people do want to come here and talk factually about the hurtful things that have happened to them. They also want a place that can be a pick-me-up too, and you can't get that if it's all negative, right?

I for one really admire how the majority of posters here are presenting their opinions in a dignified and reasoned fashion...Im taking notes! :)

Again, good topic Hil!

------------------------------------------

"Have you come here for forgiveness?
    Have you come to raise the dead?
    Have you come here to play Jesus
    To the lepers in your head?"

One

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

I don't think many would argue Hillary's basic premise (that spreading rumor and innuendo as fact is less than stellar behavior) is a sound one. I think that the normally-eloquent Hillary expressed himself poorly in his very first post and led a number of people to misunderstand his point.

Venting aside, we all use personal experiences to make our points. I really don't see the reason for all the c/overt insults and flippant dismissals over a matter of opinion.

Crawdad,

You're dead wrong about Hillary being a JW at heart. I think you misunderstood his first post (as did I) and... well... you're an excitable fellow. Just as you defended your right to rant, he defended his right to be stoic. I forgive you because you seem newly Out, and I forgive Hillary because he's British.

bay64, There has always been a bit of a split among members as to the "purpose" of this board. Many think we should post with the lurkers in mind, and tone down the sex talk and fighting. Others say, "screw the lurkers; I'm finally free, and I'll vent and talk about anything I want." So I guess you were both right and wrong. This board is not FOR the lurkers, but it's not just FOR the ranters, either.

Hmmm

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hmmm,

Thank you for your customarily sweet comments.

Perhaps you are correct that my post clouded my point, it still seems quite clear to me, but then it would wouldnt' it...lol I gain heart from the fact that a few persons did understand my point, but perhaps they should be worrying about their reasoning process also...lol

This is the main point being made,

Many people who subscribe and read this Board are in an emotional nightmare and the last thing that they need is to have these emotions played with by information that enflames them to heights of fury and then leaves them hanging when they have no facts to underpin their indignation.
    Please note that it is a universal appeal, not just for the sake of 'lurkers'. It speaks of damage that can be done to anybody who is affected by misinformation posted on this Board.

With that I take my leave and scurry off for a spot of tennis with the Missus.

Gawd bless ya'all....lol

HS

• larc
    larc

Folks,

I think some of you missed Hillary's point. I don't think he is against the venting of anger and the display of other strong emotions. Some of the best posts written here are by people who had a tragic story to tell, and they told it with great emotion and in exquisite detail. These stories touch us and help many to identify as someone close to the writer, in their pain and suffering.

What helps none of us, as Hillery pointed out, is gossip, heresay evidence, and slander. That kind of writing degrades us, offends others, and causes those seeking help to leave us.

• Salud
    Salud

larc, HS,

Ditto. I agree w/ HS on being factual as to the facts we present. I for one am directing people who are questioning the JW's to this board for information. It is one thing to rant and rave but it is another to make a blanket satement and apply it to all. Remember people, we were all once in but questioning things, and that is where many 'lurkers' are at today, let us help them out.

If we believe HS is a JW at heart then we should read his post again on the Ferryman. BTW great job HS!

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

hi larc,

i think i understood hillary's post ok.
    he basically wanted to get the point across that the jw organization isn't that bad!.......maybe something bad happened to a few of us in an isolated congregation, but normal jw congregations are full of love and truth,... we are just blowing everything up out of proportion, and it's not really true, we don't have the facts.
    little children don't get molested and handed back over to the abuser, and silenced,....no....those are just exagerated accusations.

we should all tone it down and stop accusing the gov body of things we can't prove, cause it's basically a loving clean organization.

well, all i can say is.......keep the blinders on, hillary!!!!
    i think you should go back to the meetings for a while.
    keep your eye on that "back room",..... hahahahaha!!!!!

• larc
    larc

crawdad,

I don't have the same take on Hillary's words as you do. First, I will say that I agree with Hillary that most Witnesses and elders are good people. However, neither he nor I believe that the major evils that exist in the religion should not be exposed. Indeed they should be. To use an analogy. We should use a surgeon's knife, not a cannon to root out these evil's.

On your point about about the GB, I don't recall Hillery ever saying they were not to blame.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

No crawdad you don't want to get it is what it looks like IMO.
    wouldn't you rather be recognized then JUST heard for a min?

.........................It's the silence between the notes, that make the music.....................
    http://ourworld.cs.com/Pwmkwzy/WELCOMEindex.html
  • SixofNine
    SixofNine

Crawdad, let me be more clear than others. No, you fucking moron, you did not understand Hillary's post.

One thing you did get right (as to the spirit of his post) is this, "we should all tone it down and stop accusing the gov body of things we can't prove". The "tone it down" part is only needed for a select few, such as yourself, but the part about only making accusations we can prove, that is for everyone. Bill Bowen especially. Something about the elders in the Beliz case comes to mind right now.

Whether you just want to destroy the WT, or help people coming out, bullshit and rumours will not do the job.

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

gosh, so much truth coming at me!
    only i disagree.

i understood hillary's post.... i got it just fine.

him and you are on the same team, and you are deciding what is bull or not.

people that know what happened to alot of people in those back rooms, and post little pieces of it, are labeled sensationalists, and are mocked.

i know how bad the organization is, you want me to lie about it?
    i want people that have been in those situations to come forward, and go to silent lambs, and testify,............ while you give me shit......and mock me........ tell me more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit