A Plea For Responsible Reporting

by hillary_step 71 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello,

Many hundreds of people read this site who are not subscribed, and I would suspect that the vast majority are JW's looking for answers to an internal turmoil that they may be living with.

The information posted on this Board does get read and then passed among many congregations of JW's. This information is a powerful force and is a wonderful thing for those who are seeking to be informed, and a not so wonderful thing to those in Brooklyn who are seeking to harness the boundaries of knowledge.

Given this scenario, and how much credibility can be lost by XJW's who perpetuate gossip and innuendo, can we check our sources and facts very carefully before we post information to this Board.

There is no particular nobility in being first with news about some aspect of WTS life. Who brings news is irrelevant, what news is being bought is very relevant. Many people who subscribe and read this Board are in an emotional nightmare and the last thing that they need is to have these emotions played with by information that enflames them to heights of fury and then leaves them hanging when they have no facts to underpin their indignation.

From my own standpoint I frequently reach a ‘crisis of patience’ when I read the mud-slinging that is leveled against individual JW’s, elders, CO’s etc. You know the kind of thing. ‘I knew an elder who ripped me off in a used car sale" etc. etc.I cannot help feeling that this is missing a valuable point entirely.

*The Problem with* JW’s are their leaders. Most JW’s are very decent people, with families, jobs, fears and hopes like the rest of humanity, but they reflect their leaders in thinking and inclination when it comes to how the deal with other people. It is generally not their fault that this happens as they have through cunning manipulation been formed to react this way. Change the few dozen people who perpetuate the WTS myths and you change the 6,000,000 people who follow them.

Best regards to all - HS

* edited 'in' thanks to Somebody.

• Francois
    Francois

J-Dubs are just like the rest of us: you pays your money and you takes your chances. They deserve to be handled with kid gloves no less than the rest of us.

F

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Francois,

The point of my post was not the one that you seem to have latched on to.

It is about irresponsible reporting of information bought to this Board which in one way or the other hurts everybody including you.

Perhaps my next post should be all about careful reading of posts before we react to them, something else that seems to lead to many upsets....lol

Best regards - HS

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

HS,

"Responsible Reporting"? HERE??

Too much to expect! The mix is too varied and the desire to "mix" too strong.

It will remain as it is. It is not a place most active JWs would feel remotely comfortable lurking and I know many have turned away from here; too much negative behavior which has enforced what they have been taught by the Watchtower.

The "C Channel" is much better suited for active JWs!!

IW

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello IW,

Yes, you may be right about the lurker element.

However, there are also many who subscribe and participate on this Board, if my mailbox is to be believed, who also would prefer that we make accurate statements rather posting information that leads people to believe something that later appears to have more varied dimensions than previously realised.

Best regards - IW

• bonovox
    bonovox

I second the request. Not to belabor it, but Im out for over 10 years now.

Yeah, Im only a newb to this board, but I'd like to see a balanced approach too. Im here because I want to find out what the heck is going on, with facts etc to boot.

I can't go to the Witness boards cause they have some form of check system where they make sure you're in good standing (which sucks, but whatever, nobody's perfect I guess).

Good idea Hilary!
    -----------------------------------------------------------

"Well the God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister!"

Bullet the Blue Sky, Rattle n Hum version

• DB
    DB

Good post Hillary...some food for thought.

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

hi hillary,

you said;
    most jws are decent.... but "reflect their leaders thinking".

yes hillary, they reflect the lying, cheating, side-stepping, cover-up, selfrighteous, cold hearted attitude of their leaders!

they don't make very good friends!...... and if you do business with one, ummmm..... you might get burned!,,,,,, and if you go to one for advice, ummm......you might be in big trouble,..... and if one of them babysits for you, you might really be in trouble...

they know all the gov progams to get free money!!!!....... but if you ask one of them to help the gov.... ummmm, they can't!

they are sooo decent when they go door to door, but ummmm, it might be a pedophile,...

yes, they are just reflecting their leaders thinking...
    personally, i have about a hundred horror storys about jws,.... i'm sure you would call it "mud slinging".

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Thank you Hillary, We all need to be reminded of that from time to time.

• Francois
    Francois

Hey Hillary, how 'bout more exact self-expression, more careful writing? Of course it's easier to find the problem is external isn't it?

Never thought of that did you?

FT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit