A Plea For Responsible Reporting

by hillary_step 71 Replies latest jw friends

• bay64me
    bay64me

Dung..... precisely.....ANYTHING jehovahs witness related..........SO?!

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

dungbeetle,

I think that bay64 was pointing out that Hillary's post could be construed to be squelching "venting" of "personal experiences" in favor of making sure we can document everything for the benefit of lurkers. I don't think there was a need to insult him/her.

bay,

You're not wrong.

What we have here is a conflict of interests that seems to me to be unsolvable. Some here still have a lot of hurt in them, which vents as anger.

Many have moved beyond that anger and want a more moderate, reasonable atmosphere. There are regular posters here who are a little too extremely "die WT die" for my taste, but I wouldn't tell them they can't throw a fit every now and then for fear of offending the lurkers.

IMO, lurkers wont see the truth until they're ready, and once they're ready, a little ranting and bad language isn't going to stop their investigation.

Hmmm

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

hi hillary,

hahahaha, thanks,.....i figured you were still a jw at heart.

now,.... after the news about malawi got out,,,,, the donations started coming in,,,,,,,yes, people were sending the gov body donations, to help the poor victims in malawi..... OMG!!!..they were raking it in!!!!..... i remember the announcement, send donations directly to the headquarters, the gov body will direct the money to the right place!!!!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hi Hmmm,

I think that bay64 was pointing out that Hillary's post could be construed to be squelching "venting" of "personal experiences" in favor of making sure we can document everything for the benefit of lurkers. I don't think there was a need to insult him/her.

The point I am making is far more simple than this Hmmm. I will yet again re-state it:

It is make sure that when posting to the Board, please ensure that we do not, for everyone's sake post gossip and innuendo as fact. Gossip and innuendo are not fact. Doing so can have repurcussions on other people. I made and make a plea for responsible reporting of fact. This is not to do with venting, lurkers et al, but about honesty and integrity.

Breathes deeply and leaves - HS

Craw,

You say you figure that I am a JW at heart. I say you figure wrong....again.

HS

• amac
    amac

HS -
    I agree with you.

However, I think a board like this will always have those who are so bitter and emphatic about the evil of the WT that it is impossible to avoid.

amac

• D8TA
    D8TA

Errr, I just read Hillary's post.

Uh...what's all the hub-bub people?

Hillary is someone stating an OPINION as how they see things. Wasn't like Hillary made a post saying: God damn, you people really should start thinking the way I do!

Give Hillary a break, she's (sorry if yer a he) is just speaking her mind. No reason to jump down her throat. Not like she is trying to institute any kind of "rules" here.

So let's stop the whole thing here. No more quotes, nor bashing, beyond this post. Hillary spoke her mind, you spoke yours. Good.

Let it be.

D8TA

D8TA v2.0

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

hi d8ta,

wisper words of wisdom, let it be...

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Crawdad2,

Beautiful!!!

Thanks,
    IW

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

First of all, I am totally new here.
    I didn't know such a wonderful forum existed.
    Second-Hill: You're one well spoken person. I appreciated everything you said, and you handled some touchy areas with grace.
    As someone who just left the dubs, I do want to vent. I do want to hear what is going on behind closed doors in the organization and never talked about,(my eyes are just starting to be opened) I do want to find people who shared the same emotional trauma that I did.
    But venting does not have to equal slander, lies, opinion, and insinuation. I think Hill's main point, and excellent one that people should carry in every aspect of their lives-not just on this board, is that we should be objective. Not to get carried away with emotions. JW are decryed all the time on here for not opening their eyes to facts. Aren't we doing the same if we believe everything people post on here.
    C'mon people this is the internet--you shouldn't even trust your own grandmother!

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I fourth fifth, sixth and seventh Hillary_step.
    There is no reason why we should sound like a bunch of bitter idiots.

Speaking about Erica's expierence's on this forum is not a generalization. Not only that but she is here to speak for herself. That doesn't exactly amount to gossip and inuendo.
    We can't accuse every JW and every cong. in the world of being the exact same as Erica's cong. I know many many JWs who are on Erica's side and I also know that spitting out words that mean absolutely nothing and sound bad is of no value to anyone. Not even the one doing the spitting.

Dung has shared personal expierences regarding her abuse and has every right to be angry and blast those who treated her wrong. A lot of posters here do. Probably most here do.

The way I feel about this subject is when ever someone posts anything that sounds like thier just slinging sh*t for the purpose of bashing an entire orgination they obviuosly hate but haven't actually produced a sound reason for THIER personal feelings, It does nothing but INVALIDATE all of the victims. I take that personally and I have a right to.
    If I want someone in particular to listen to what I have to say I would TRY to say something that would be heard.

am i generalizing to much????
    Yes you are.

[This is why I said it Invalidates all the victims]

When I first started lurking here, I came accross a few posters that sounded a lot like you crawdad. And The ONLY thing that went through my mind was, Damn...NO WONDER JW's don't want to have anything to do with people like you! I never once paid that much attention to anything that was said and for the most part it was like whatching Jerry Springer on the NEt.

It wasn't until I read a few posts that sounded familure to me (expierence wise) and authintic that I started reading more and paying more attention to what was being said. If it wasn't for them I would not have even wanted to post in the first place.

If everyone sounded like you then Simon would probably not be very busy at all. This isn't just MY opinion either. I share this place with a lot of people who don't have simular expierences but wouldn't read anything here if it was all crap.

.........................It's the silence between the notes, that make the music.....................

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit