A Plea For Responsible Reporting

by hillary_step 71 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Francois,

Please explain yourself more clearly.

Best - HS

PS - What did you think about the idea of being careful to make sure of our facts before posting them to this Board?

• happy man
    happy man

Hello craw.
    you say: yes, they are just reflecting their leaders thinking...
    personally, i have about a hundred horror storys about jws,.... i'm sure you would call it "mud slinging", they are just reflecting their leaders thinking...
    yes but you was looking for bad things wery carfullI think, if you look on good things very carefully you find this too.

but i am happy too see that you dont use so bad words as when i talk too you on timtys board.
    gretings from your Jw freind in sweden
    when i read your posts at first i think you never was JW, and later i understand that we have almost the same story, exept i am still inn.

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

hi happyman,

well, when i was "in", i wasn't looking for bad things........in fact, i had to ignore everthing that was happening around me.
    you remember the standard phrase, right?.....just wait on jehovah!

you know, the pharisees had a few good qualities too, i'm sure.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

crawdad2,

Though I understand and in many ways share your frustration, you present a scenario that *all* JW's reflect this behavior:

they don't make very good friends!...... and if you do business with one, ummmm..... you might get burned!,,,,,, and if you go to one for advice, ummm......you might be in big trouble,..... and if one of them babysits for you, you might really be in trouble...lying, cheating, side-stepping, cover-up, selfrighteous, cold hearted attitude of their lead
    This is dangerous thinking as well as not being accurate. JW's are capable of much good and much bad, in this they follow the centuries established trend of human nature. Added to their human nature they have a group of men attempting to control how they express these human desires, it hardly susprising that many show varying degrees of disfunctionality.

Typifying groups of people with descriptions such as yours distorts the truth and has in the past led to lynching, intolerance and chimneys that billow out clouds of human smoke.

Best regards - HS

PS - What did you think about the idea of being careful to make sure of our facts before posting them to this Board?

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I'll second (or third) the comments in your post. It would be nice to be able to put a measure of weight to some of the things here, but lots of times it seems you just have to wade through a bunch of bitter trash talking and sensationalized nonsense.

I can say I found the failure of the "new elder's manual" to materialized both disappointing and embarrassing. Whether things just fell through or whatever, I don't know, but it would be nice to have a solid and useful information network here than a bunch of unreliable gossip. Gossip is cool sometimes, we all do it, but let us know that you got it 5th hand or something..lol

Path

• larc
    larc

crawdad,

If you have particular stories to relate, I wouldn't consider that mud slinging. I think, however, that is important to stick to the facts you know from your own personal experiences. A good example of this is Amazing's writings in his elder series and his series about his leaving the organization.

I think the use of heresay information, exageration, and insult should be avoided.

The complete story, with good detail, factual evidence, and good analysis makes a much better presentation than a tirade, and does more for the credibility of the writer and the story itself. It is also more likely to influence a lurker who is on the fence.

• zamzummim
    zamzummim

I think that part of the problem is the emotional nature of this topic.

There are so many people that feel extreme hurt and anger by their days in the JW organization that it's only natural to want to lash out and try and inflict pain and suffering.

This too shall pass.

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

hi hillary,

in your original post you mentioned;
    "~they~ have through cunning manipulation been formed to act this way".

~~~"they"?~~~...... is that a generalization?.....i think it is!
    and a very acurate one!...... "they".... have alot of problems, and those problems are manifest in their lives.

but if someone mentions those problems, you condemn them and say they are generalizing?

you call it, mud slinging........ i call it facts.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Listen Craw,

I am not going to get into a long-term debate over this, my meaning is clear.

Most JW’s are very decent people, with families, jobs, fears and hopes like the rest of humanity, but they reflect their leaders in thinking and inclination when it comes to how the deal with other people. It is generally not their fault that this happens as they have through cunning manipulation been formed to react this way. Change the few dozen people who perpetuate the WTS myths and you change the 6,000,000 people who follow them.

Please read this part of my post again, especially the highlighted aspects. I have allowed for differential behavior in my statement and have certainly not condoned the behavior of those JW's who act with a lack of integrity, or made a blanket judgment against anybody but WTS leaders, the few dozen men who control the policies.

you call it, mud slinging........ i call it facts.
    Yes, I call it as I see it. What you presented were not facts.

Incidentally, what did you think about the idea of being careful to make sure of our facts before posting them to this Board?

Best regards - HS

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

ok hillary,

i like the idea of having the facts clear....
    the problem with people like you is, you don't realize how bad the problems are........so you call it mud slinging.

fact; a large portion of the congregation was at the trial, supporting the rapist who molested and raped erica for years.

fact: almost the "whole congregation" "shunned" erica for turning him in.

fact: this little girl, erica, was molested and raped for years, and was made to be silent, and almost the whole cong went along with it.....

am i generalizing to much????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit