Waiting's Never-ending Joke Thread

by Seven 305 Replies latest social humour

• waiting
    waiting

I think I got this one from here on the forum, but it's worth repeating:
    Two tourists were driving through Louisiana. As they were approaching Natchitoches, they started arguing about the pronunciation of the town. They argued back and forth until they stopped for lunch. As they stood at the counter, one tourist asked the employee behind the counter, "Before we order, could you please settle an argument for us? Would you please pronounce where we are.....very slowly?"

The clerk leaned over the counter and said, "Burrrrrrrr, Gerrrrrrrrr, Kiiiiiiiiing

I love this thread. Thanks for starting it, and keeping it alive, Seven.

And from your calendar of quotes (which I enjoy immensely):

"It weren't clever." Ozzy Osbourne, after he bit off the head of a dead bat at an Iowa concert and had to get a series of painful rabies shots.

waiting

• waiting
    waiting

This is a contribution from my sister, Patio:Were we just talking about this or what!

AAADD (Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder)

I just wanted to let you know that I have recently been diagnosed with this condition. The scientific world is frantically searching for a cure. This is an ailment many of us suffer from and may not as yet have been diagnosed.

However, now you may be able to discuss it with your loved ones and explain what really happened to you all those times you worked so hard to accomplish something and didn't. I call it the 'But First Syndrome'.

You know, it's when I decide to do the laundry. I start down the hall and notice the newspaper on the table. OK, I'm going to do the laundry.....BUT FIRST I'm going to read the newspaper. After that, I notice the mail on the table. OK, I'll just put the newspaper in the recycle stack.....BUT FIRST I'll look through that pile of mail and see if there are any bills to be paid. Yes, now where's the checkbook? Oops...there's the empty glass from yesterday on the coffee table. I'm going to look for that check book. BUT FIRST I need to put the glass in the sink. I head for the kitchen, look out
    the window, notice my poor flowers need a drink of water. I put the glass in the sink, and there's the remote for the TV on the kitchen counter. What's it doing here? I'll just put it away......BUT FIRST I need to water those plants. Head for the door and.....Aaaagh! Stepped on the cat. Cat needs to be fed. Okay, I'll put that remote away and water the plants....BUT FIRST I need to feed the cat.

END of Day: Laundry is not done, newspapers are still on the floor, glass is still in the sink, bills are not paid, checkbook is still lost and the cat ate the remote control.... And, when I try to figure out how come nothing got done all day, I'm baffled because.......I KNOW I WAS BUSY ALL DAY!

I realize this condition is serious....... I'd get help........ BUT
    FIRST......I think.....I'll check my e-mail!!

She sent me this because I'm now officially over-the-hill. Sigh.....

waiting

• Seven
    Seven

Waiting and Patio, Good one!!! You are NOT over the hill!
    An amusing sign from my area: At a small convenience store, a sign reads-"Attendant inside. You must blow for service after 10:00PM." A temporary sign read, "Kuntz Reunion" LOL, almost ditched the truck over that one.

Finally, Get the grill fired up and

• Faraon
    Faraon

Posted: Feb 27, 2001 3:09:15 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Waiting,

I loved your parrot joke. Half way through my joke, I didn't know if I wanted to spend the energy to finish it, plus when I write my longest posts, I get this message that says, "Invalid password", then I cuss and fume a lot.

Hi, Lark
    If that happens to you often, I suggest you write your message in a word processor, copy it, and then paste it to the board

JRP

• waiting
    waiting

hey Far....,

Nice to meet you! Guess what I'm gonna do with your post? Print it and put it over my computer to remind me that not all my jokes are dumb - and I've always had a special fondness for that parrot one too.

You are a dear. And we all cuss and fume when we type a long post, hit the little key and it disappears into cyberspace. I asked Simon about it a loooong time ago, and in his typical British civil tone said, "yeah, that happens sometimes." Well, I could have told him that!

Hormone Hostage Guide

The Hormone Hostage knows that there are days in the month when all a man has to do is open his mouth and he takes his life in his hands. This is a handy guide that should be as common as a driver's license in the wallet of every husband, boyfriend, or significant other.

DANGEROUS: What's for dinner?
    SAFER: Can I help you with dinner?
    SAFEST: Where would you like to go for dinner?

DANGEROUS: Are you wearing THAT?
    SAFER: Gee, you look good in brown.
    SAFEST: Wow! Look at you!

DANGEROUS: What are you so worked up about?
    SAFER: Could we be overreacting?
    SAFEST: Here's fifty dollars.

DANGEROUS: Should you be eating that?
    SAFER: You know, there are a lot of apples left.
    SAFEST: Can I get you a glass of wine with that?

And my personal favorite. . . . . .
    DANGEROUS: What did you DO all day?
    SAFER: I hope you didn't overdo today.
    SAFEST: I've always loved you in that robe.

Contributed by my dear - older - sister, Patio.

waiting

• waiting
    waiting

Well, for your information - I didn't start this thread. But I find it easy to find the new jokes, which I dearly love.

This one was sent to me by Patio from her workplace on e-mail. For some reason, her boss, The Great State Of California, doesn't like her visiting websites during the work hours. Go figure.

SO YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE TOUGH ENOUGH TO GO THROUGH AND TRY TO LEARN ENGLISH

This little treatise on the lovely language we share is only for the
    brave. It was passed on by a linguist, original author unknown. Peruse at your leisure, English lovers.

Reasons why the English language is so hard to learn:

1) The bandage was wound around the wound.

2) The farm was used to produce produce.

3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.

4) We must polish the Polish furniture.

5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.

6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.

7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to
    present the present.

8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.

10) I did not object to the object.

11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.

12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.

13) They were too close to the door to close it.

14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.

15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.

16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.

17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.

18) After a number of injections my jaw got number.

19) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.

20) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.

21) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

Let's face it - English is a crazy language. There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple.

English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France.

Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat.

We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find
    that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham?

If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth?
    One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? One index, 2 indices?
    Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend.
    If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?

If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an
    asylum for the verbally insane.

In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites?

You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your
    house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which an alarm goes off by going on. English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race (which, of course, isn't a race at all).

That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the
    lights are out, they are invisible - go figure!

• Seven
    Seven

From actual letters sent to various councils and housing
    associations throughout the UK:

I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and
    burnt my knob off.

.. and their 18 year old son is continually banging his balls
    against my fence.

My lavatory seat is cracked, where do I stand.

The toilet is blocked and we cannot bath the children until
    it is cleared.

I am a single woman living in a downstairs flat and would you
    please do something about the noise made by the man I have on top
    of me every night.

Please send a man with the right tool to finish the job and
    satisfy my wife.

• Seven
    Seven

Received this one from an office drone with internet access.

MERGER MANIA

The ongoing mergermania - the effort to put more and more control into
    the hands of fewer and fewer people - is the single greatest threat to
    our freedom and democracy. Here are a few more Mergers in the Making.

Xerox and Wurlitzer
    They're going to make reproductive organs.

Fairchild Electronics and Honeywell Computers
    Fairwell Honeychild

Polygram Records, Warner Brothers and Keebler
    Poly-Warner-Cracker

W. R. Grace Co., Fuller Brush Co., Mary Kay Cosmetics
    and Hale Business Systems
    Hale Mary Fuller Grace

3M & Goodyear
    mmmGood

John Deere & Abitibi-Price
    Deere Abi

Honeywell, Imasco, and Home Oil
    Honey, I'm Home

Denison Mines, Alliance, and Metal Mining
    Mine, All Mine

3M, J.C. Penney, Canadian Opera Company
    3 Penney Opera

Grey Poupon & Dockers Pants
    Poupon Pants

Knott's Berry Farm & National Organization of Women
    Knott NOW!

Zippo Manufacturing, Audi, Dofasco, Dakota Mining
    Zip Audi Do-Da

The most obvious candidates for a merger: Netscape and Yahoo
    Net & Yahoo

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor

Suburbia: From the Latin meaning “to tear out the trees & then name streets after them.”

"I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul."

• Seven
    Seven

Rev. Legion's interview with Betty Bowers-Southern Baptist super Christian.

Reverend Legion: You know that our churches have had some difference in our theologies. We are in the business of forgiving sin. You on the other hand, are Baptist.

Betty Bowers: Not just a Baptist, dear. I'm a Southern Baptist.

Reverend Legion: And what is the difference between being a regular Baptist and a Southern Baptist?

Betty Bowers: Just Hell and Heaven.

Reverend Legion: Pardon?

Betty Bowers: Oh, your look of shock is so terribly droll, dear. You naïve people do amuse me. Look, I realize that to the indiscriminate eye of someone so wholly given over to a false faith, such as yourself, the actual nuances that separate an almost-true faith from the only true faith are elusive. You see, Southern Baptists are of God. And regular Baptists are of the Devil. See? It's all rather simple.

Reverend Legion: Baptists are of the Devil?

Betty Bowers: Yes, but this hardly differentiates them from any other religion. I mean, if you are Baptist, Methodist, Scientologist, Satanist, Muslim or whatever, it doesn't matter. As long as you are not Southern Baptist, you are going straight to Hell. So you may as well be doing human sacrifices on your front lawn for all the good it will do you. But it's not like we don't try to save the others. We've been printing three-color brochures like mad to give to Jews and Muslims on their Occult Holidays to give them all one last chance to shed the shackles of their outrageous beliefs and join us. But, entre nous, I'm a little relieved that so few of them took us up on our rather selfless offer to share God's Glory with them. Not many of them, at least the ones I've met, are "our kind of people." I really wouldn't relish spending eternity with some rag-head who has never met a reputable soap or a woman who never shops retail. I mean, what would we talk about?

Reverend Legion: But do you Southern Baptists believe in forgiveness?

Betty Bowers: Yes, absolutely. But just because one forgives does not mean that one forgets. I may forgive one of my shiftless domestic help for breaking a lovely piece of French porcelain. But that doesn't mean I'm going to forget about it when I dock her pay at the end of the month. Similarly with God. He may forgive you your trespasses (or, more often than not with His memory, simply let them slip His mind), but that doesn't mean they won't pop into His head come Judgment Day and send you hurtling into the fiery pits of Hell with a speed so fast it will break your neck like a number 2 pencil. I mean, in spite of what all these touchy-feely homosexual-loving liberal so-called Christians would have you believe, God is not some soft-hearted pushover. I mean, He may forgive you for having a child out of wedlock, but according to Deuteronomy your bastard won't ever get into church. And neither will his family. For ten -- count 'em -- ten, generations. Now, that's not Someone who can't hold a grudge. So there are going to be whole busloads of people real surprised come Judgment Day.

Reverend Legion: Mrs. Bowers, Betty, may I call you Betty?

Betty Bowers: No. Only my Savior calls me Betty. And that was only after many years and no small reluctance on my part. I think familiarity is tacky and shows a deplorable lack of breeding. Of course, Jesus was born in a stable, but still, He's had long enough to learn better and I can't allow that type of faux-intimacy.

Reverend Legion: Well, Mrs. Bowers, if you had been there when Jesus helped the Harlot, would you have "cast the first stone"?

Betty Bowers: It would depend.

Reverend Legion: On what?

Betty Bowers: Both practical and theological considerations. For example, while I might find myself sorely tempted to lodge a nice piece of anthracite between the tart's eyes, I might lose my ardor if I'd just had my nails done. But, regardless, I would imagine that I would end up having to hurl one at her.

Reverend Legion: Why would this be?

Betty Bowers: Well, Jesus Himself stated that she who is without sin should have the honor of casting the first stone. It is very much like the American tradition of allowing some noted politician or celebrity to throw out the first ball of the baseball season. I mean, if you are going to go to all the trouble of being sinless, Jesus wanted to makes sure that you had some earthly rewards for your efforts. So, if you were looking for sinless people, it would basically boil down to me and Jesus. And since He was trying to be nice to her, it wouldn't have done for Him to turn around and pop her in the head with a rock. So, I guess it would have been left to me.

Reverend Legion: So you would have killed her?

Betty Bowers: No. As with all things I am called upon to do by my Lord, I would have hurled that first honorary stone with alacrity and, I dare say, no small modicum of precision. But it would have been more by way of a polite warning shot to the knee. Of course, once the sinless person, me, had cast the first stone it was open season for the rest of the crowd. And they would have, no doubt, killed her in an instant. My only hope is that Jesus would have gotten out of the way in time. I much prefer worshipping a lovely symmetrical cross than a disorganized pile of rubble.

Reverend Legion: I see.

Betty Bowers: Oh, dear look at the time. I really must go.

Reverend Legion: But I have just one more question. It'll only take a minute.

Betty Bowers: Well, that would be one more minute than I agreed to, dear.

Reverend Legion: I thought you would stay at least 30 minutes.

Betty Bowers: Oh, dear. How delicious! I never do half-an-hour for this kind of money. Besides, the Bowers Ministry Bentley is waiting to take me to the Bowers Ministry plane. I'm already late.

Regan and Faraon, Welcome to the board. It good to see you here.
    seven

Keeping an open mind is virtue-but not so open that your brains fall out.-James Oberg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit