Was justice served fairly in the Micheal Brown tragedy, whats your opinion ?

by Finkelstein 164 Replies latest social current

• talesin
    talesin

If you didn't grow up in the USA, you have little chance of understanding the nuances of race relations in that country, just as a man will never really be able to understand what it's like to give birth.

Hell, it varies from region-to-region. A person in Seattle, WA, will have absolutely NO idea what it's like to be black in Louisana,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, RIGHT?

so, let's stick to the case, the facts ,and leave the racial judgements where they belong ............. in the category of "It's one of the biggest SNAFUs in history, and I sure as hell don't know how to fix it".

t

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio
    By your argument, black people are not the most disadvantaged. All the smaller groups are who make up a smaller proportion of the population.

1) Nobody mentioned a single thing about black people being the most disadvantaged, nor was that ever a subject in this thread.

2) Yes, minorities often suffer various disadvantages due to being minorities. That's the broad issue.

Privilege just determines where people are advantaged and disadvantaged in comparison. Again, it does not make a blame judgment on anyone in itself.

From that point, you try to determine the causes and see if those advantages/disadvantages can be evened out over time, because, if you're not selfish, you don't want to be advantaged over another human being in many aspects of life if at all possible.

Using dating, as an example, knowing how hard it is to find someone compatable in the first place, we shouldn't want people to have to work with 15% of the pool they're already working with if at all possible, so we can look at things like the science of attraction (specific attractors are learned behaviors, imprints are set when you're in developmental phases) to see if there's anything that society is doing to affect people's attractors (for instance, presenting Asian men as non sexual beings, but sidekicks and nerds in most media for years and years may have an effect on how "sexual" they are viewed in broad majorites of adults now).

Privilege needs to be pointed out only because so many people in a position of advantage refuse to see the advantages they have. As a male, there are still a TON of things I don't consider about what a woman deals with, for instance. Or being tall, or having the use of all of my limbs. Everyone has a ton of blind spots to where they have advantages.

• Simon
    Simon

So if 85% of the women in your area exclude you without looking, that doesn't mean you're disadvantaged? You have a much smaller pool to work with than other people relative to anything but race - that's the definition of "disadvantaged." Even if it only means you have to scroll through 8X more profiles as another person, it still means "disadvantage." It's the very meaning of a handicap (think of golf).

Nobody mentioned a single thing about black people being the most disadvantaged, nor was that ever a subject in this thread.

Getting a little tired of your silly rambling, word games and jumping around.

• Simon
    Simon

So if 85% of the women in your area exclude you without looking,

Do you have facts to back up this number or is it just based on population percentages.

Most races tend to find their own race more attractive and chose to date within it. This is in no small way biased on demographics - people looking for others in their locality who will be more likely to be of their own ethnicity. There will also be education, income and other factors that make people chose who they do.

For online dating though? I'm pretty sure most are based on how hot people look to the viewer.

Again, we see a perfect example of assumptions being made and people being told that their individual choice is really being made because of race ragardless of what they think.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Pacopoolio: It seems pointless trying to argue that black people were discriminated against in the past. No one is arguing that they weren't. It's a pointless distraction that just confuses the dicsussion.

the topic of the conversation was not discrimintation, it was white privilege. Violia and I were talking about white privilege.

Restating arguements that have not been made and then shooting them down confuses the discussion.

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

Simon accuses me of playing word games, and look at his quote in post 16046 of 16047.

I clearly said that no one said that black people were the most disadvantaged in response to him stating that as a topic.

He highlights quotes where I gave an example of black people being disadvantaged and says I'm the one with "silly rambling" and "word games."

Are you kidding me? This is ridiculous, and inexcusable in any type of reasoned discussion. Things and subjects are constantly getting twisted and distorted, whether due to a lack of comprehension or purposely doing so for whatever reason.

• Simon
    Simon

You have jumped from privilege to advantages but I can understand why - it's an easier argument to make and thing to prove.

Of coure men have advantages that women don't have and women have advantages that men don't. Practually every segment has some advantage that others don't and vice versa. It's called diversity.

Privilege is a different thing entirely. That is where there is no inherent advantage or disadvantage at play other than a judgement someone else grants based on arbitrary reasons: "a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people."

I can't dance. I have uber-concentrated white-man dance genetics. Am I disadvantaged? If I'm in a dance off then chances are I am.

Is somone else more "privileged"? No. Unless I can't dance as well as them but get given the Dance Champion trophy anyway.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

the point is you have more dating matches simply because you were born white.

that is just a privilege you have because you have white skin.

Doesn't matter why. (at this point...)

It just IS.

You and I have an advantage in this area (number of possible dating options) due to being white.

that is all white privilege is.

• Simon
    Simon

People can read the discussion and make up their own mind of who said what, please try and keep on topic.

• Simon
    Simon

the point is you have more dating matches simply because you were born white. that is just a privilege you have because you have white skin. Doesn't matter why. (at this point...) It just IS. You and I have an advantage in this area (number of possible dating options) due to being white. that is all white privilege is.

It's a (debatable) advantage but it's not privilige.

If we lived in a population where 85% were black / latino and 15% were white then would that alter whether I had advantage or privilege?

I wouldn't have an advantage anymore but whether I had privilege or not wouldn't have changed unless I still had a majority picking me regardless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit