Was justice served fairly in the Micheal Brown tragedy, whats your opinion ?

by Finkelstein 164 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

Sorry, only time for a quick post.

Poor white people in bad areas still had images being fed to them of successful white people constantly, and had an identity that was not centered around race, unless they happened to be in areas where THEY were the minorities.

Isn't that a contradiction - I can't tell if they are or aren't meant to identify themselves because of race?

I don't think white people do identify themselves with rich or successful people because of race. In the UK you grew up with images of the royal family and they were a million miles away from who you were. You never thought "hey, they are white - just like me!". They may as well have been a different species for how much you identified with them. There was certainly no positive racial reinforcement from it.

The things I remember about race from growing up were the direct personal interactions - the indian guy at the corner shop who always said hello to you on your way to school etc... Maybe in the UK we were just less influenced by TV by comparison to the US or TV was different. I seem to remember there being lots of black people on TV in both kids programmes and others when I was growing up. Maybe they were trail-blazers at the time but we didn't know so much about it when you're a kid.

I agree the story and how the build up of opportunity can happen but it makes a little too much of lack of information. I think for the past 20-30 years at least there has been free information of ideas and opportunity and those ideas stretch back to the 50's and 60's as they gave rise to the social changes and civil rights movement. I do accept that the personal belief in what could be achieved no doubt lagged the spread of ideas that such achievement could be an idea to aim for.

Sorry, rushed post so I'll try and expand on things later.

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

The difference is basically that, for most people, if they are the majority of what they see, they just think of yourself as "me" when they self identify.

For instance, how many times, when you think of yourself or things about yourself, do you frame yourself primarily as "straight?" (Supposing you are straight).

I only think of myself as "straight" in context of conversations of sexuality when brought up, personally - otherwise, it almost never comes into play. However, when have gone to gay bars, it becomes completely different, and my "straightness" is often towards the top of my mind because I'm no longer the majority.

When you are giving yourself a forced identity, by a majority, many instances crop up in which it plays a large part in your thinking process. Things like the rare time you see a member of your race shown in media, especially when young, plays a large role in shaping self identity.

When I was a kid, you had black people never surviving to the end of a horror movie and being the first to die or die saving a white person, black comic relief only, or black third rate sidekicks in cartoons. They were never leaders, or the focus, or anything; just a side minority that serves the interests of the main characters. The only counters were really 70s blaxploitation (which was basically underground or cult) and movies that were particuarly about someone being black.

Fortunately, the comedic black lead type with Eddie Murphy started paving the way for more dramatic lead roles, among other things, and shows like the Cosby Show, etc. came out as well as I aged. But that post-dates even a lot of Gen Xers most developmental years.

As stated, that's just a microcosm for how the experience differs from minority to majority, and why so many black people at least, have a strong racial identity. It's almost unavoidable. That's also why they would find the concept of a post-racial society as existing now laughable.

• Simon
    Simon

I think UK TV doesn't get the credit it deserves. When I was growing up in the 70s there were programmes like Rising Damp which were not only funny (which made them popular) but they often had positive portrayals of black people. In that show the black guy was the university educated and sophisticated gentleman and the white guys the slighly ignorant ones.

We also had black newsreaders and entertainers. Seeing black people on TV wasn't extraordinary by any means (in normal roles)

• Simon
    Simon

For instance, how many times, when you think of yourself or things about yourself, do you frame yourself primarily as "straight?" (Supposing you are straight).

I only think of myself as "straight" in context of conversations of sexuality when brought up, personally - otherwise, it almost never comes into play. However, when have gone to gay bars, it becomes completely different, and my "straightness" is often towards the top of my mind because I'm no longer the majority.

So what is your opinion of people who want to talk about their sexuality all the time or try to inject their sexuality and other people's view of it into every situation, even when it isn't warranted? e.g. "Is it because I am gay?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrlzaBNgz-M

Do you have a problem or do they? Should you be viewing everything in life based on sexuality ... specifically theirs? Is everyone else at fault?

I think people who do that are slightly unbalanced and obsessive and are likely to run into problems because of it or encounter animosity toward them that they themselves have helped create.

Is race really so different?

• talesin
    talesin

I think UK TV doesn't get the credit it deserves.

When I was growing up in the 70s there were programmes like Rising Damp which were not only funny (which made them popular) but they often had positive portrayals of black people. In that show the black guy was the university educated and sophisticated gentleman and the white guys the slighly ignorant ones.

We also had black newsreaders and entertainers. Seeing black people on TV wasn't extraordinary by any means (in normal roles)

Agreed! I find UK programming can be more realistic. It's interesting to research how many TV shows have been 'imported' from Britain and made into popular NA shows ........... one thinks instantly of ABFab, The Office and the British "Friends", Coupling (which starred one of my fav Brit actors).

And, hah! I agree with the last comment -------- we can colour our conversation by the things that affect us most --- that is so true. And that is a peaceful thought - one we can all share.

xx

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit