Do you remember the 15 minute break at the Sun. meeting?

by 3rdgen 82 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

3rd gen, we had to pay for it from out BD money from grandma (non-jw). My mother was outside smoking in the car.

Yes, hamsterbait, in 1973 tobacco was forbidden not because it wasn't healthy but because it was spiritism. The WTS has quietly dropped that from current publications but not labeled it as old light. Before that they had articles saying it was not a good idea and "encouraged" jws to quit, but since it was not a df'ing offense, quite a few stayed hooked. What I can't remember is if you could be baptized is you were smoking. I suppose they could like. I know that elders/overseers could not be appointed and stay appointed if they openly smoked.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I liked the little wax bottles with a few drops of colored syrup inside. You could chew the wax for a couple of minutes and then 'patooey!'

• Dagney
    Dagney

People never mattered to the WBTS, and especially children. Now I quite like the idea of "Sunday School" for kids where there is freedom in learning. I have a friend with two autistic children and I shudder to think what their life would be like taking their kids to meeting at the KH. Now the kids look forward to the routine in the Sunday School area and the parents have a break. My mother told me when I was a kid I used to "play meeting" and line up the dolls and proceed to beat the crap out of them. She told me she cringed knowing that was my take-away of "going to the meeting" at 4-5 yrs.

Magwitch, 3rdgen, Talesin, .

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Yes I remember the 'break' the only good thing at Sunday meeting. In 1967 we moved North from North Carolina to Illinois. The new KH was right across the street from a small grocery store that had penny candy !!! What luck . Of course the brothers would mention many times that kids shouldn't go over there ,but of course we did it anyways. Running around playing tag in the front yard of the hall was good fun too.

My feelings were that they stopped the break, because too many people used it as an excuse to LEAVE and go home early .

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Dagney wrote: ... when I was a kid I used to "play meeting" and line up the dolls and proceed to beat the crap out of them.

OMG! That is horrible. Bad enough to get beat. Worse when it's in public. But to incorporate beatings when playing 'Meeting'. Too, too much.

-Aude.

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

Yep, as a kid in the late 60s/early 70s I longed for that break. But at least our congregation's Sunday meeting was in the morning, so I'd usually have Sunday afternoons free since we did our field service on Saturdays. What I hated was the evening Ministry School/Service Meeting which felt like it lasted until midnight.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

In the olden days we had our meetings at 3:00PM, thus meeting lasted all afternoon and we would not get home until after 6:00 PM. I think the Ed Sullivan show came on at 7:00, so there was always something to look forward to.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

New York, Ed Sullivan came on after Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color where I lived. Bonanza was also on Sun nights as well but I missed them when our Stupid meetings were at 6:00PM.

• talesin
    talesin

(Dagney), you too? :'(

Hey, Gregor - we have this fabulous store here, Freak Lunchbox, that has all the old stuff! They have candiies from back to the 60s (sugar-filled straws, Pop-Rocks, you name it, they have it!), as well as lots of other stuff, and yes, lunch boxes from the way-back machine. I loved those wax thingys, too, and bought some a couple of years ago, just for fun. And it was! :D

tal

• talesin
    talesin

Oh, 3rd gen, that was the highlight of the week, and you had to miss it! Disney, Ed Sullivan and Bonanza. It was one of the few childhood 'escapes' we had from the dull and abusive routines of our lives. Be glad you are not from Canada, or you may have been forced to watch The Tommy Hunter Show every Friday night,

I've never liked TV much since I grew up, it's usually boring and a waste of time. But those Sunday night shows were the only entertainment in the regimented life I led as a child.

So, really off-topic and my apologies to the OP! I heard about people smoking during the break, but by the time I was old enough to be aware, it was verboten, and most of them were secret smokers.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit