Do you remember the 15 minute break at the Sun. meeting?

by 3rdgen 82 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• St George of England
    St George of England

I remember it well.

I was in a small congregation so a sister went out before the Public Talk finished and put the kettle on so we had a cup of tea and a cake.

George

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

They had them when I first started going to the meetings in 1967. I believe that by the time I got baptized in 1969, they had already gone away. Of course, congregations in other areas may have done it differently.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I think I remember that in the 1970s, and then it was eliminated. IIRC people just wanted to get the whole Sunday meeting thing done with so they could get home. I was a kid then and thought it made the meeting seem a lot longer.

• blondie
    blondie

I remember in this area it was to allow time for bible students to leave after the talk and go home without being embarrassed. Few jws could take these people home and return to the KH in 15 minutes. Smoking breaks...some did...many like my mother hid that they smoked.

I can remember jw kids running down to a neighborhood quick mart and getting candy and hearing paper rattling and chewing throughout the WT study.
    (BTW, why is it a congregation BIBLE (not book) study but it is s till called a WT study (where's the bible?)

• sparky1
    sparky1

Our Sunday meeting was in the afternoon. During the intermission I went out to the car and listened to the Boston Red Sox game on the radio for as long as I dared to.

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

My dad always parked at the end of the street, so he could go smoke during the break.

Anyone remember when the written review, was taken up and graded? The first congregation i remember, they toom them up and passed them out on opposite sides if the hall for grading. We also had a blackboard, with publishers names on it, with the garde posted, along with our weekly fs report, and monthly Avg, listed for all to see!

Dwain

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I remember there was one congregation in Southern Illiois that still had the 15 minute break as late as the late 70's and early 1980's.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I remember the intermission as a little girl in the early '70s. An ice cream seller figured it was good business to park outside the KH at those times

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Thanks for the comments everone! Tiki, you really took me down memory lane. I had forgotton a lot of that stuff. I also remember when the WR papers were turned in but I never did b/c I was pretty young. Mom seldom passed hers ahead, she didn't want my dad correcting it. LOL

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Dwain, The "Brothers" sure loved to put everyone on the spot to shame them into doing more. Guilt, competion and shame were fostered by HQ. No wonder these attitudes remain long after the charts are gone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit