Do you remember the 15 minute break at the Sun. meeting?

by 3rdgen 82 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• talesin
    talesin

As I recall, the 'reason' was so that those worldly TM people who attended the Public Talk could say their goodbyes, as the WT study was mainly for the JWs themselves.

It was also a great opportunity to put a few welts on the rear ends / legs of fidgety kids like me, to ensure that they would SIT STILL during the WT study. Break time sucked for me. ;)

tal

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I used to go around the corner and have a smoke with a couple of friends.

We also had all the meetings on one day, shortened down to three hours .................

• tinker
    tinker

OK I'll take the OLD title too. I remember the 15min break well. The Talk and WT were a full 60mins ea not including songs and prayers. I will never forget the beautiful young DF'd woman who sat in a folding chair at the back of the hall, all alone, she never got up during the break. Just sat there as if she wore a scarlet letter. Sue Farr was her name, Huntington Beach, CA. My mother told me not to look at her but I was so sad for her.

I also remember the announcment that the break was for time to engage in "intercourse" among the congergation. It wasn't until years later that I understood the term to mean anything but conversation between people. My mom used the expression commonly too without any question to it's double meaning. It was a very different "world" back then. I kinda miss it but then, nah.

• cult classic
    cult classic

That was our favorite part!!! Time for treats!!!

Our mom thought it was ridiculous to take away the break and we still had fun time for about 15-20 min...lol

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I remember that 15 minutes quite well......It was just enough time for my very strong Ukrainian mother to haul us five kids to the back room and give us all a good beating. It made no difference whether we were guilty of any mischief or not, the beating got delivered.

• blondie
    blondie

That reminds of going out in service before the book study...usually rvs but sometimes offering mags. Study started at 8:00 and service started at 7 pm.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Talasin and Magwitch, So sorry your parents couldn't think of anything better to do with their break time than to traumatise their young children. My father delivered my beatings at home where no one could see or hear what he was doing. I envy all of you who got candy and (GASP) ice cream, and other refreshments. Definately didn't happen for me.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I remember the one or two going outside for a smoke in the early 70s before the 73 Witchtower that banned it as spiritism.

One morning a passerby asked the sister smoking why she was doing it? She replied: "Would YOU smoke inside your church?". That brings back a whole load of sad memories... and teary eyed thoughts. People you cared about who are dead, without getting the promises, ruined lives.

As Scarlett O'Hara said " Don't look back. " Sorry - off topic.

TINKER: Ah, intercourse - My Dad had a restaurant, and the waiters always loved asking the clients if they wanted an "intercourse" whilst waiting for the main dish. That was in the days when you got your dinner freshly cooked, and had to wait: No microwaves then.

Are there many members in the Intercourse congregation? Yes the town EXISTS!!

SIMON- omg! Cola cubes!!!! it must be 40 years since I had one. Can you still even get them, the soft centered ones? This thread is a great memory lane trip.

• talesin
    talesin

(Magwitch) I am so proud of us! We made it through, and still sane. xo

(3rdGen) I KNOW, treats! Imagine that .... wow. Yeah, some days I feel like saying "incubator", but she's outta my life now and I mainly feel pity. Your anger is much appreciated - that little kid inside of me is smiling and feeling protected. xo

t

• talesin
    talesin

What are Cola cubes, Hamsterbait? :D

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit