Do you remember the 15 minute break at the Sun. meeting?

by 3rdgen 82 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• honest
    honest

Oh yes i remember. Us kids used to climb the trees at the front of our hall. I used to tear my good meeting dresses and get a whacking before the watchtower started.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Was there popcorn and choc tops????

• Zoos
    Zoos

I remember that break as a kid. Dad would go out and have a smoke while my brother and I played in the parking lot.

• cofty
    cofty

I remember the 15 minute break.

It was a chance to run down to the local shop and buy sweets before the 60 minute Watchtower study. That was the longest hour of the week.

• designs
    designs

yep

• tiki
    tiki

oh yeah.....that was when the talk was an hour long and the wt likewise. the idea was that you could dash to the bathroom if you needed to.....and if so inclined sneak out without being so noticeable. and remember the public talk handbills from the fifties?? if anyone bit, they could come to the talk and then scoot. in fact it wasn't exactly encouraged for the public to attend the wt study, as it would be too deep for them. those handbills were printed up weekly with the name of the speaker on it.........then they got more generic and dropped names....

i remember our sunday meetings were always at 3 pm......morning you had to go in service - then you had a break at lunch and a couple hours to relax, then the talk and wt......long day. when morning meetings started to become the rage it was realy cool.....because skipping service became an easier option. and remember how we used to turn in weekly fs reports??? you had to have your sat/sun hours and placements......at least. and there was that old quota board - with monthly averages. ahhh the good old days. i even remember when they started allowing sisters to give talks on the ministry school. i was 11 i think when i gave my first "to obey is better than a sacrifice"......ugh. and the written reviews you'd pass in to be marked. that was kinda fun for me because my father was school servant so got to correct them and i'd see how dumb or smart everyone in the cong was. hahhahahahahaha

• Tech49
    Tech49

When I was growing up, we lived in an area of the Pacific Northwest where some in the congregation had to travel for several hours, with several modes of transportation to get to the KH. It was an effort and expense for many to get there, and thus, ALL the meetings were held on Sunday, with the exception of the individual book studies. So we would have Public Talk and WT study, then take a half hour lunch break, then do the School and Service Meeting. It was a very unique situation, and if any of you dear readers recognize this situation, you will know the area and location I refer to.

It was an all day affair, like a mini assembly every week. I grew up hating Sundays. Yogurt for lunch. Entire day was shot. Then, if things went really badly, out in FS for an hour or so.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

All the meetings on one day? That's pure torture, never heard of that before.

I thought the fifteen minute break was for us kids to go load up on candy before the watchtowel started. Never knew it was to drive home studies, but then, wouldn't you want them to stay for the whole meeting?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Crazyguy, ok, I get it, I'm old.

In that case, I hate to admit that I remember it too.

I thought it was to allow the "public" to gracefully leave after the "Public Talk". Later they decided, it was better to "rope them in" for the WT Study too.

Doc

• Simon
    Simon

I remember going to the sweet-shop at half time.

Of course we could only buy 'meeting sweets' ... something without noisy wrappers.

Cola cubes were good. One of those could provide some relief from a couple of WT paragraphs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit