Do you remember the 15 minute break at the Sun. meeting?

by 3rdgen 82 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

A poster on another thread reminded me of when there was a 15 min. break between the talk and the WT study on Sundays. The break was supposed to be to allow JW's time to drive their Bible studys home from the talk. What I actually saw were several "weak" brothers smoking a cigarette out front. How 'bout you?

• GreenhornChristian
    GreenhornChristian

I do remember them. I was only a child then. Mid to late seventies? I don't remember the smoking though Except through stories I was told. It was a fun time to play at the back of the hall.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Yup, kids would play, you could get a drink of water, go to the restroom etc. Why did they dispense with it?

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Man that was a long time ago before my folks came in..

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Crazyguy, ok, I get it, I'm old.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I remember that in the 60`s , I think it was designed to fellowship with your brothers and sisters about the material you just heard strenghthening your faith, at that time smoking was not a disfellowshippng offence , though not encouraged , many did it behind closed doors.

I was a bit chaffed when I discovered smoking was tolerated back then but the person who studied with me said it was a no ,no.And I gave it up.

I am thankfull now that I did give smoking up .Should I thank the Watchtower ? or the brother who misinformed me ?

smiddy

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I thought it was designed to be a smoke break, then discontinued both to discourage people from leaving at 'intermission' and the pending ban on smoking. The break was discontinued in the early 70's.

-Aude.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I remember the 15 minute break after the public talk. At our Hall they said it was done so they could set up the microphones.

Then there was the urban ledgend where the Chairman got up after the talk and thanked the speaker for his very fine discourse and continued, saying that before the Watchtower study began, there would be a 15 minute intercourse while the microphones were being set up. LOL

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

Remember yes, early 70s. Was done away with when smoking was no longer permitted.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

also had coffee/tea in some halls at the time

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit