I loathe authority

by punkofnice 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Thanks for your responses.

I think my loathing of authority comes from it's abuse. As an example I don't believe there are very many good cops because these so called 'good' ones know the corrupt ones and probably what they're doing and by not taking action to stop ithe power tripping abusers are corrupt themselves by default.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Me too.

A good friend of mine, Mellencamp, said, " When I fight Authority. Authority always wins"

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I've never experienced abuse by authority, personally. I suppose experiences are going to naturally shape our feelings.

What do you mean?

I meant that people always look for an "other" to blame for their own situation. Whether it's hating the 1% for being richer than them, or hating authorities for having power. But once someone makes friends with some guys in the community who happen to be cops -- or takes on a position of responsibility themself -- suddenly they start thinking about things from the standpoint of the people with those thankless tasks and making a defense of them.

• humbled
    humbled

Punky--

what you said about the corrupting effect of silence is so true. Law enforcement becomes criminal when it will not allow internal complaints.

An easy look into the pressures and persecution of honest law enforcement is the 2010 film called "The Whistleblower" about a cop in the U.N. who reported on sex-trafficking in Bosnia. Kathryn Bolkovac was an American who found what U.N. officials were covering up and tried to do her job of protecting exploited girls and women.

See what the authorities did to her.

It is everywhere. I have seen this everywhere from where I worked in nursing homes or factories or in agricultural field work--Anywhere where a lot of power over other's jobs and lives rests in relatively few hands.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ humbled -

Lately, I sometimes catch myself suspecting that the powers-that-be keep trying so hard to keep a lid on the issue because it's actually so widespread and endemic that if the lid blew, the sheer size of the boil-over would give humanity a collective nervous breakdown.

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

Anarchy

I tend more and more towards full blown Anarchy. Have been reading up on the subject. While I don't share all the ideas expressed in some of the books/texts about the topic, I think this is more "up my alley".

I resisted authority since I was a child. This due to my upbringing in the cult and the constant hammering of gods superiority. After leaving Bethel I go a job at a Fortune 100 corporation and left it because I couldn't stomach the authority and the strong hierarchical structure. I hated it. I resist also governments, Police and people that try to "boss" me around.

It has been an interesting journey since I left the cult. Will see where this leads me. Maybe I will get enough money together and just live on an deserted island.

• humbled
    humbled

Good thought from Tolkien, BluePill2!

Running for office in the U.S.A. may produce people the least fit to hold it. Big money interests have far too much control over politics. Money is bigger than ever.

Vidiot, I think there is corruption legally built into some systems, for sure. It was unarguably true during slavery and Jim Crow.

When it's legal, it's hardly questioned. But I think it is going to boil over as you said in spite of the tight lid the authorities try to put on it. We are in a pressure cooker with way too much heat under us-- so much is not being properly cared for. The prisons are full and so are the jails. Many of us all over the world are having a hell of a time feeling as though we are able to have any effect on government authority. I feel bad for our kids.

Heavy handed authority and more jails will not answer the problems. But it is the part that is blowing up in a lot of places in the U.S. Arkansas is havig prison/jail problems.

Sorry to run on-- this topic hits a nerve

• humbled
    humbled

Good thought from Tolkien, BluePill2!

Running for office in the U.S.A. may produce people the least fit to hold it. Big money interests have far too much control over politics. Money is bigger than ever.

Vidiot, I think there is corruption legally built into some systems, for sure. It was unarguably true during slavery and Jim Crow.

When it's legal, it's hardly questioned. But I think it is going to boil over as you said in spite of the tight lid the authorities try to put on it. We are in a pressure cooker with way too much heat under us-- so much is not being properly cared for. The prisons are full and so are the jails. Many of us all over the world are having a hell of a time feeling as though we are able to have any effect on government authority. I feel bad for our kids.

Heavy handed authority and more jails will not answer the problems. But it is the part that is blowing up in a lot of places in the U.S. Arkansas is havig prison/jail problems.

Sorry to run on-- this topic hits a nerve

• prologos
    prologos

People running for office will hide their true agenda, often dictated by their financiers. How about the swiss voting on all important issues personally?

since the JWs are supposed to be neutral like the Swiss,

how about having a vote on all important congregation, top issues? rather than abusive power from the human top down?

• 20yearfader
    20yearfader

ditto punk i feel the same way i think it has to do with being raised a jw.i use to always hear my cousin who also hates authority saw i cant wait until armageddon when the birds will eat all the cops....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit