I loathe authority

by punkofnice 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• hoser
    hoser

If I can poke a bureaucrat and get away with it, I'll do it.

That made my day jgnat!

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

"I totally loathe the police/policticians...any authority......anyone that is over anyone else. I have a total hatred of them all."

You are my kind of guy. We need to hang out!

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Probably part of it. Some of it may be an overbearing parent while you were in your formative years. Like you, I have an issue with authority for some reason, probably as noted.

One of the things that has helped me to wake up to the fallacy that is the Witnesses, is the idea that in the new order we will be free, at last free, thank god almighty we are free at last!!! Anyway, according to the ORG that is simply not the case. We will have to obey the "princes," there will be scrolls with rules, lots of em and we will have to obey some guy, we will be told where we can live, we will have to conform for a thousand years to t the same guys that run the show now. We will be like the Eloi in H G Well's Time Machine....drones with perfect health.

• SpeedRacer
    SpeedRacer

Where is the bureaucrat? I want a couple good pokes!

Speedracer

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

CAA - Now if you were in my neck of the woods here in the UK that'd be perfect.

SoP - We will be like the Eloi in H G Well's Time Machine....drones with perfect health.

Splendid analogy.

I feel like I'm a horse on Animal Farm.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have always questioned authority, from a very young age. Whenever someone told me to do something, my mind would always ask "Why should I?", that is if I didn't ask that question out loud.

This got me in to endless trouble, especially at School, but it stood me in good stead as born-in, in that I never took any notice of the silly things, and loudly said why.

Always the rebel, but never with the clear thinking ability to totally question my religion, which really was a religion within a religion, as I never went along with the wackier doctrines or ideas.

I always showed the necesssary respect to the Fuzz etc, after all they can make life difficult for you.

Mind you, when I was 18 a copper pulled me up for speeding, eventually he "cautioned" me, part of the spiel was "You do not have to say anything....", so when he said "Name ?" there was a deafening silence. He said again, a little more annoyed sounding, "Name ?", so I said "You said I don't have to say anything".

He then explained what would happen if I did not give my name, involving possibly 3 days in a Cell, so I told him.

With my natural pain-in-the-arse attitude it really is a wonder it took me so long to get out of the most Authoritarian of Cults, I think being in a Congo that suffered my rebel attitude lengthened the time I stayed in. Bollocks, I wish they had come down hard on me,as some Elders would.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

jgnat - 'If I can poke a bureaucrat and get away with it, I'll do it."

Oh, yeah; I'm sure some bureaucrats are decent in be... oh.

Not that kind of "poke".

Seriously, though... I was the same way growing up in the Org; whenever I encountered a JW say or do something really stupid, I'd call him out on it (albeit somewhat respectfully), even if they were an elder.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Unless it's my own authority, i tend too agree with you Punk.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Phizzy - "With my natural pain-in-the-arse attitude it really is a wonder it took me so long to get out of the most Authoritarian of Cults, I think being in a Congo that suffered my rebel attitude lengthened the time I stayed in."

Well, in its own paradoxic way, the WTS is kind of anti-authority, in that it's anti-"worldy"-authority, and that aspect of it initially appeals to some.

The problem (among many others), is its excessive internal authoritarianism.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

For me, it's not authority itself, it's when authority is stupider than me.

When I was in school and a teacher taught us something that was obviously incorrect, I lost all respect and often then started trouble.

How the he11 do all of these stupid people end up in positions of authority?

I think it's because they are "rules" people. Following rules gets you promoted, but these people never stop to think whether the rules make sense in the first place.

I once worked in a call center where one of the rules was that when you were working, you could not be looking at any other reading material, catalogs, etc. Seems reasonable. One day the phone systems went down for several hours, so I was looking at an Avon catalog. I got caught and written up for that! We were supposed to sit and do nothing for a few hours because 'rules is rules.'

That was the beginning of the end for that job. I finally walked out one day and quit over something equally stupid. And, as I was walking out the door, they ran behind me yelling, "Stop! You can't leave without an exit interview! "

Really?!?

I just kept right on walking and never looked back, never said anything. That didn't deserve a response.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit