Scottish independance in two days what do you think?

by barry 122 Replies latest jw friends

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

cofty - thanks for that fantastic photo

• Heaven
    Heaven

I am a mix of English, Irish, and Scottish blood. Not sure why but am glad the UK is still 'United'.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Phew

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

They are saying that this will decide the issue for a generation. Does this mean that every snp member who has met Alex Salmond or Nichola Strurgeon has to die before another referendum??

• galaxie
    galaxie

Ha ha salt...please allow us at least one overlap lol !!

• abbasgreta
    abbasgreta

Heaven: I'm a mix of English, Welsh, Irish and German, and I'm glad too that we're still United.

• besty
    besty

I think Scotland could & should go it alone and 1.6m fellow Scots agreed.

Having said that I respect the 2m Scots who disagreed and I expect that going forward together we hold the Westminster feet to the fire to deliver in a timely manner on their promises.

There has been one recurring theme on this thread which needs people to do their own research to form their own view, not that peddled as fact in the MSM - and that is that Scotland is a net recipient of more than its fair share of UK public spending. (and by implication Scottish people should be grateful to the UK (read England) for its largesse which enables them to drink themselves silly whilst eating pies and fighting, all on England's dime).

Reading material: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnett_formula https://fullfact.org/scotland/how_much_money_tax_would_scotland_have_spend_uk_scottish_independence-33426

• galaxie
    galaxie

Hi besty..the ramifications have started already.

We're back in the quagmire of British politics.

Looks like it's going to be a bumpy ride as the future is still not certain.

If the vote had gone the other way we would be positively moving ahead with a Scotland building a positive future.

That being said I respect the will of the democratic vote.

Best wishes.

• dozy
    dozy

I'm voting no and I suspect the result will be about 55 - 45 in favour of no.

A couple of days ago here I called it 55 / 45 NO / YES - so got that one right.........

I thought the following article was interesting - shades of the JWs. A couple of my friends got heavily into the "Yes scene" and it did take me back somewhat. Almost like a cult...promise of a future "paradise" , suppression of any dissent , an "us and them" attitude etc etc. It became impossible to have any friendly discussion with them and they even fell out with family members who disagreed. I suppose the big difference with the JWs is that there isn't a specific date - the society have learned from previous mistakes setting specific dates & can just keep rolling this one out indefinitely.

http://wakeupscotland.wordpress.com/2014/09/15/ewan-morrison-yes-why-i-joined-yes-and-why-i-changed-to-no/

The Yes movement started to remind me of the Trotskyists – another movement who believed they were political but were really no more than a recruitment machine.

I know because I was a member of the SWP in the late 80s. As a ‘Trot’ we were absolutely banned from talking about what the economy or country would be like ‘after the revolution’; to worry about it, speculate on it or raise questions or even practical suggestions was not permitted. We had to keep all talk of ‘after the revolution’ very vague because our primary goal was to get more people to join our organisation.

I learned then that if you keep a promise of a better society utterly ambiguous it takes on power in the imagination of the listener.
    Everything can be better “after the revolution”.

• besty
    besty

interesting article dozy - I'm not in scotland as you know so don't have any idea really what the mood on the street is - I guess YMMV as usual.

the author does speculate on what would have happened following a YES vote, and for me thats entirely the problem - speculation.

what we can observe now is how the NO vote will work out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit