Brett King (Jehovah's Witness) Releases Video of why he removed his ill son, Ashya, from a UK hospital

by jwleaks 87 Replies latest jw friends

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

It's very sad. That being said, if you think that the Father's actions have nothing to do with being a JW, then you are not thinking straight. His entire foundation of "reasoning" is based on being a JW. EVERY DECISION REVOLVES AROUND BEING A DUB.

It can be easy to forget that fact, once you start using your power of reason without WT goggles. When this Father reaches an impasse in his mind, the WT LOOP fills the gap. One facet of that loop is " Satan's Medical System". Consciously or sub-consciously, that indoctrination is a factor in his decisions. In a black and white world, when faced with stress, the JW security blanket comes out. So one way or the other, being a JW is part of the equation.

DD

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Since when did JWs regard the medical system as being satanistic. Yes they do oppose blood transfusions. But I have never heard any JWs be like this in my three decade JW-time... However, I was a Scandinavian JW, and that might explain it.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

The irony is these JW parents removed their son from the hospital because they felt the doctors were endangering his life and health.

Yet, at the same time, they have no problem endangering his life by following WT's mandate to refuse a blood transfusion.

It seems they don't care so much how their son dies*, but only about who's hand he dies by.

Typical JW thinking.

* obviously, they want their son to live, but will allow his death if WT demands it through adherence to their "no blood" policies.

• Sol Reform
    Sol Reform

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29001388

A five-year-old boy with a brain tumour who was removed from a UK hospital by his parents has been found in Spain.

Ashya King was taken to a hospital in Malaga and his parents arrested, Hampshire police said.

His father Brett King defended his actions in a video posted on YouTube, saying the family were seeking a treatment Ashya had not been offered. His disappearance from Southampton General Hospital on Thursday sparked an international search.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

In most European countries the custody of JW parents are temporarily taken away in order to allow a blood transfusions. Most Jws are happy with that... Perhaps it is a different situation in the US?

• rebel8
    rebel8

I feel sick to my stomach.

On the one hand, as a healthcare professional, I know mistakes can be made and everything isn't certain. It's critical to be educated about your condition and make informed decisions.

On the other hand, I was a victim of the jw "I know better than doctors" mentality that is so woven into the thread of its culture. I hope this little one is not a victim of the same.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Inquiry man,

Things are a little different in the USA. Maybe I am letting that influence my thinking. It's the only medical system that I know. As a dub, EVERYTHING is controlled by Satan because it's his system. If someone is nice or something goes well, is the exception. An underlying theme for JWs is that no "Worldly" institution can be fully trusted. That paranoia must enter into the equation somewhere.

DD

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Parents should always be involved in their children's medical care.

Placing all doctors on pedestals and stating that a parent who disagrees or wishes to try alternate therapies is deluded is no different than stating that the wts is always right and disagreeing with them makes one an apostate.

This dad is obviously well-read and has researched the science. Just because a doctor prefers a different course of action does not make the parents wrong.

Stop being so judgmental. It's not your child and unless you know this man personally you have no business trying to decide what's influencing him or what type of person he is.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Apparently this is NOT about blood. The brain surgery was preformed a while back. The dispute is about getting the child the less invasive Proton beam therapy.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/31/ashya-king-what-is-proton-beam-therapy

Proton beam therapy is a form of radiotherapy designed, like all the others, to kill cancer cells. The difference between this and conventional forms of radiotherapy is that it is thought to cause less damage to the healthy tissue around the tumour – and for that reason is particularly suited to children, who are more susceptible to harm from radiation because they are still growing. It is possible for large doses of radiation to cause secondary cancers in the long term..................

Protons, which are positively-charged particles in the centre of any atom, cannot travel as far as x-rays. They stop when they reach the tumour. There should be less collateral damage, leading to fewer side-effects in the long term. But although that is the theory, and a number of countries have invested in hugely expensive machines on the strength of it (and the UK is now building two of them), there are still some questions over the efficacy and side-effects.

Proton beam therapy is not the best treatment for every patient – in fact, it is said to be suitable only for about 1% of all cancer patients. For some years, the NHS has paid for children who are thought to be likely to benefit to travel to the US or Switzerland for this kind of radiotherapy, at very high cost – the NHS pays for travel and accommodation for the child and a family member, as well as for the treatment.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I was not happy with my dentist - so I went to a different one.

The doctors sound like megalomaniacal pricks. Why shouldn't he consult a different doctor, and pay for proton treatment - If other countries recognise it as effective and have facilities for it, why shouldnt he spend HIS OWN MONEY to get it.

British doctors also tried to prevent parents getting three separate immunisations for measles mumps and rubella. (A choice available in the US and other countries)"You will have all three in one jab, because we want it that way" effectively.

At least in the US he could have just got his son admitted to another hospital, and choose a pediatrician who will discuss things. A patient is not the personal possession of the doctor treating them.

The issue here is freedom of CHOICE. If the family were Sikh or Jewish or Muslim would people on this site be ranting about their faith?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit