Brett King (Jehovah's Witness) Releases Video of why he removed his ill son, Ashya, from a UK hospital

by jwleaks 87 Replies latest jw friends

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

doyk, there are links in other posts here that show the family is indeed JW.

I personally find it difficult to believe the child would need blood, unless for a low red blood cell count or something like that. I suppose if the child needed chemotherapy, as it was reported in one article, then the likleyhood of needing blood is high.

It's is very hard to say why the parents did what they did. I read earlier he did place a video on youtube to try to explain. The information doesn't seem to add up very well. The proton treatment is not readily available in Spain so why go there? The whole thing is very tragic, ery sad. Aso one very knowlagable (about this family) poster said here, hopefully the reason for taking the boy away was not due to the resurrection video they likely saw eight days prior.

This is a trotured family with a child facing irrreversable brain damage and/or death. It's hard to judge a parent in that situation when even the Drs saying maybe there is hope and keep wanting to try dangerous or painful treatments, the odds are still slim.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I think the father is doing what he thinks best for his son. Why should he be denied a different option than what the British hospital wants?

• Simon
    Simon

It looks like it isn't anything to do directly with the blood issue but as many have pointed out, it's hard to know how the constant diet of distrust of the medical establishment that they are fed affects people's decision making.

Factor in the wonderful world of "self-appointed expert after reading something on the internet" and this can be what you get.

Of course it's possible that the hospital was being protective of themselves and denying them opinions etc... but that is rare and of course we don't get to hear their side of things because they are not allowed to voice an opinion on the matter which seems a little unfair. It's right to question things and get different opinions but sometimes medical knowhow trumps the marketing materials that people read about treatments and drugs - everyone is trying to sell something, medicine is an industry like any other.

So thumbsup for trying to get the best treatment for his child, thumbs down for how he's gone about it.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

According to BBC, the family was found in Spain. The parents are in custody in Spain.

Responding to the claims made in the video, a spokesman for the hospital said: "Our priority has always been Ashya's welfare and we are delighted that he has been found.

"Throughout Ashya's admission we have had conversations about the treatment options available to him and we had offered the family access to a second opinion, as well as assistance with organising treatment abroad."

The charity Cancer Research UK says proton beam treatment is available on the NHS in the UK only for eye conditions.

However, in some circumstances the NHS will pay for patients to go abroad for proton treatment.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

"Diet of distrust", well said. That world view is a factor, whether some want to admit it or not. I'm not judging the guy. If I truly believed that my child was in danger from medical "authorities", I would barricade the door and god help the first few people who tried to get in.

DD

• steve2
    steve2

Nice summing up Simon. The father is sincere and well-motivated to get the most for his very sick son, but his response is bordering on foolhardy. The latest news is that he and his wife have been arrested (in Spain?). No word on wellbeing of child.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I sincerely hope his child is given the best medical treatment and fully recovers. And, I hope that the parents and treating physician get better communication lines and understanding.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

This may still have to do with blood though.

a) The public stance is very different from the private stance

b) Documents recently published and circulated within the JW org still state parents should do 'everything' to prevent doctors from giving blood

c) The treatment for cancer especially pediatric ones often includes copious amounts of blood transfusions as the radiation kills off healthy marrow which produces white and red blood cells and platelets. Proton beam treatment prevents a lot of the dead cells but is also unproven to be effective for these types of cases.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

We may feel great empathy for this little boy but his parents feelings are beyond empathy, they love him & would move mountains to get the treatment they feel he needs.

Please read & sign the petition below.

http://www.change.org/p/police-david-cameron-and-co-release-brett-and-naghemeh-and-allow-them-to-choose-treatment-for-son-ashya?recruiter=83679570&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

Thanks!

• Caedes
    Caedes

I had a relative who had both chemo and radiotherapy recently and it did involve umpteen blood transfusions. my experience of the doctors involved was that they were very caring and had only the interests of the patient at heart.

I doubt the parents version of events especially as I know that in the case of my relative he had the opportunity to use his private medical insurance and this option was discussed quite readily by the NHS doctors involved. I suspect that there is more to this story than meets the eye, the coverage by the media has given away very little information about the reasons for the removal of the child from medical care or what triggered that decision.

Given the JWs history I find the story from the doctors to be far more believeable. After all why would you take a sick child on a very long road trip to spain, why not just fly? It would be cheaper and quicker. The fact that they got to the continent by ferry suggests that they knew they would get stopped by the police if they flew.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit