9yr old girl kills her gun instructor with an uzi

by EndofMysteries 137 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TD
    TD

What is the significance of blowback? Wouldn't a gas operated Class III weapon have been every bit as inappropriate in the hands of anyone except the person actually holding the license?

• bohm
    bohm

a loaded uzi and a pair of skis are approximately equally dangerous in the hands of a 9 year old. got it.

that make perfect sense. no motivated thinking at work there, just calm delibration of the facts...

I do wonder at what age it is inappropriate to arm a child with a loaded automatic weapon. five?

If the child does not have the finger strength to fire the weapon, should one try to fiddle with the firing mechanism?

• Paris
    Paris

Kickback, these weapons exert force that can only be controlled by full grown men with muscles in their arms and chest and back and strong shoulders, this was a little girl, with skinny little arms and no muscle control to handle such a weapon. Its criminal negligence. Recoil sent the weapon over her head. It was Kickback and muzzle climb she could not control. Because she is a nine year old girl, a child. Its a strength, control, issue. With this weapon its way beyond finger control. The weapon exerts force and moves with force against the person handling it.

The weapon recoiled, the muzzle climbed and it kicked back, against her and the weapon rose above her head as she was incapable of controlling it because she was not strong enough, and its on tape so no clairvoyant required.

• bohm
    bohm

TD: What is the significance of blowback?

Well, assuming we had access to a good clarivoyant, I think we could ask the guy with the hole in the head about the significance of blowback...

• nugget
    nugget

The parents did not really consider whether it was appropriate for their child to handle a powerful gun. I am now aware whether they had fired such a weapon themselves and were aware of how hard they were to control. However the instructor should have been aware and should not have allowed her to fire such a weapon.

I feel that this was a tragedy especially for a small child who now carries the burden of taking a human life. There should be an age restriction on these weapons at the very least to protect the stupid from themselves.

• TD
    TD

Paris

I agree with you about the strength needed to control recoil and the inappropiratness of the weapon in question in the hands of a child. I don't for the life of me know why any other person beside the one holding the license should be allowed to shoot it.

Free recoil is primarily a function of bullet weight and acceleration though.

bohm

A hole in the head is a hole in the head and you're just as dead regardless of the internal design of the instrument that did it.

• bohm
    bohm

TD: I think my point is this would not have happened if she had been given a slingshot, supersoaker or air-powered pellet gun to shoot.

I also think we can agree there is difference in the danger of various weapons, for instance a uzi is harder to fire safely for a very weak person than a small handgun.

• TD
    TD

I agree, bohm. What I was driving at is there's nothing inherently more dangerous about blowback operation vs. recoil, blow forward, gas, etc. Plenty of very dangerous military weapons are designed around the latter principle.

• bohm
    bohm

TD: It does depend on what we mean by "inherently" right? In some sense of the words there is nothing more dangerous about a canister of polonium and a canister of water; if used wrongly they can both be deadly and if handled correctly they are both perfectly safe; i do not think that is how we would normally understand the word.

My understanding of "inherently" would to some extend mean: If used with roughly the same care by roughly the same sort of person they are roughly equally safe or dangerous.

In that case the uzi is inherently more dangerous than a weapon without enough recoil to be ripped out of ones hands.

• TD
    TD

I don't think we're in disagreement here, but again, the huge amount of danger in handing an Uzi to a child is a function of length, weight, balance, bullet weight, bullet velocity and cyclic rate, not the way the engineers decided to power the action.

Look at it this way: The little tiny Walther PPK that the fictional character, James Bond sometimes carried in a vest pocket is a blowback design and fits your criteria above of, "..a weapon without enough recoil to be ripped out of ones hands." The reason it's far less dangerous than an Uzi is not in the action family, but in the factors I listed above.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit