Where was the dead body of Jesus? Did the disciples disappear it?

by opusdei1972 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

I am currently an skeptic, but I have to admit that I can't assure that all the stuff of early christianity was false.

For instance, we know that the genuine letters of Paul were written before the destruction of Jerusalem. So, Paul affirmed that Jesus resurrected, though he was not there when it supposedly happened. But, if Jesus did not resurrect, why didn't the Jews expose this falsehood?. Of course, after the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD, it was very difficult to know for sure where the tomb was. However, in Paul's time, the Jews could expose it. Unless the disciples of Jesus disappeared the body, but it would be a big dishonesty.

Any thoughts?

• rebel8
    rebel8

If there was a Jesus, he may have pretended to be dead and had his disciples let him out of the tomb.

• cofty
    cofty

Paul never teaches the bodily resurrection of Jesus.

The myth grows from Jesus being with his followers in some metaphorical sense to a bodily resurrection over many decades.

Were the Jews even involved in the death of Jesus or was that later propaganda?

If a few of his followers were still banging on about him being raised I doubt anybody cared. We are looking it from this end of history. In 1st century Jerusalem they were an insignificant little cult.

If somebody was claiming a dead person was alive again I would challenge them to provide the proof and dismissing them as idiots when they failed. I wouldn't be opening any tombs to make my argument would you?

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

As Bart Ehrman pointed out, the existence of Jesus must be historical....but the christian argument is that his body disappeared. So, if this was an argument used before 70 AD, it could get many followers. I am tried to understand it.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

1 Corinthians 15:3-8 says, "For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born." - See more at:

http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/what-does-paul-say-about-the-resurrection-of-jesus-faq.htm#sthash.eSPmrOHX.dpuf

• cofty
    cofty

Vander - there is nothing in Paul's writing that requires a physical resurrection.

Research the context and the Greek.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I saw the film "Jerusalem" at IMAX. All you have to do is watch the film and they will show you EXACTLY the true tomb where Jesus was placed and was resurrected from.

When I was in Jerusalem I was shown at least two (2) authentic tombs.

LL

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

is not easy to prove Jesus' resurrection .You can't go back in time and get a dna speciment ,you have to engage in historical investigation and see which argument fits the facts best .There are 2 Christian scholars who developed the "minimal facts " argument ,Garry Habermas and Mike Likona .Watch the following video it's very informative and will help you reach an answer.

Evidence for the Resurrection - Mike Licona, PhD

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The gospels indicate that Jesus appeared to women first; Peter and James refuse to believe Magdalene. Jesus warns Mary Magdalene not to embrace him. I call this the "spook body period." Why can't she embrace him? A priest says it is pure theology. Humans tend to cling even when loved ones would be better off dead. Thomas is persistent in refusing to believe. I read the gospels and then recall Witness teachings. He is either alive or dead. I joke about the "spook." Where others know not to go, the Witness rush in.

His disciples walk with him but never recognize him. He breaks bread, they realize it is Christ, and Christ disappears. Cecil B. DeMille or Zefferelli showed earthquakes and the fabric in the holy of holies splitting. Ben Hur has miracles galore. If these events happened, there would be a record.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Before you can prove Jesus' body disappeared, you'll have to prove that Jesus existed at all. There's no evidence that he did, and even of there was a man on whom the story is based, the story most certainly has plenty of holes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit