Where was the dead body of Jesus? Did the disciples disappear it?

by opusdei1972 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Paul's letters are not genuine at all and none of them were known until 140CE

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Read Bart Ehrman's latest: HOW JESUS BECAME GOD.

In that book, Bart discusses how it was most likely that the story of the body disappearing was added much later and probably was not an actual event.
    This was a necessary thing to happen as they were teaching at that time that the resurrection was physical and not just spiritual- hence, the body needed to go.

Not from Ehrman, but from me: Paul's Jesus was mystical and without a specific date. There were no events in history to pin down Paul's Jesus. Paul confirms nothing from the Gospels as far as family, events, dates- anything to tie Jesus to anyone at any time.

Edited to add: How can anyone question the account of the existence, burial, disappearance of the body when the account is written when everyone who was supposedly involved is long dead?

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

I admit that much of what was written in the Gospels is not historical, but I agree with Bart and other scholars who believe that Jesus was a Jew who was killed by the romans. I agree that it is possible that "the story of the body disappearing was added much later and probably was not an actual event". So, as I see, Paul existed, and he preached before 70 AD based on a historical person (Jesus) who did not meet him. Of course, Paul is before the Gospels and it seems that he preached the spiritual resurrection of Christ (as shown in 1 Cor 15). If so, the stuff about the dead body was not an issue until some christians wanted to prove that he was raised in flesh (it seems it was the Johannine community close to the year 100 AD). So, after the destruction of the year 70 AD, no one could find the body of Jesus to prove something.

• Laika
    Laika

Sure Paul believed in a physical resurrection, why else would he write about Jesus being 'raised on the third day'. Think about it.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Re: Bodily resurrection.

1 Corinthians 15:3 "For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures

What do the scripures say?

Psa 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell (grave); neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

http://seektheos.com/dr-mike-licona-vs-dr-bart-ehrman-on-the-resurrection-of-jesus-christ/

• designs
    designs

That is assuming Ps. is talking about Jesus of Nazareth in the Gospels.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

This is Bart Ehrman again :

" Even before he was born, it was known that he would be someone special. A supernatural being informed mother the child she was to conceive would not be a mere mortal but would be divine. He was born miraculously, and he became an unusually precocious young man. As an adult he left home and went on an itinerant preaching ministry, urging his listeners to live, not for the material things of this world, but for what is spiritual. He gathered a number of disciples around him, who became convinced that his teachings were divinely inspired, in no small part because he himself was divine. He proved it to them by doing many miracles, healing the sick, casting out demons, and raising the dead. But at the end of his life he roused opposition, and his enemies delivered him over to the Roman authorities for judgment. Still, after he left this world, he returned to meet his followers in order to convince them that he was not really dead but lived on in the heavenly realm. Later some of his followers wrote books about him "

The thing is, Bart is here writing about Apollonius of Tyana, a contempory of Jesus who we have just as an authoritative account of his life as we do about Jesus, in other words, both sets of stories, about Apollonius and Jesus were written way after the life of the "hero" and are very little more than fiction.

It seems that Divine Teachers of the Ilk Messiah were two a penny in the 1st Century world.

As Life of Brian has authoritatively shown.

• designs
    designs

According to Jewish belief if you are the real Messiah you gather your people together, rebuild the Temple, and bring world peace.

Jesus of the Gospels is sorta the opposite of all of that...

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

D: Peter assummed as much

Act 2:25 For David speaketh concerning him (Christ), I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
    26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
    27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
    28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.
    29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
    30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
    31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
    32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

Vanderhoven7 I see that Bishop John Shelby Spong holds a more rational view of the Gospels. Spong sincerely admits that Mark was the source of Matthew and Luke. But Craig wants to hide the sun with a finger.

http://seektheos.com/was-the-resurrection-of-jesus-christ-a-real-physical-event/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit