Where was the dead body of Jesus? Did the disciples disappear it?

by opusdei1972 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• designs
    designs

You have to assume much with the Acts verses. What was actually meant by the writer of the Psalms, Paul as a matter of course never mentions the original meaning. Did a Jew in 1000BCE believe in Hell.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Paul, as a former Jew/present Jew, most likely did believe in a physical resurrection. Jews who believed in resurrection (not all Jews believed in resurrection. The Saducees did not. Pharisees and some other groups only started to teach resurrection about two hundred years before Jesus' lifetime)were tied to physicality. The Greeks believed in spirits flying around heaven with harps. I don't know why Christians today believe in the harp and St. Peter at the pearly gates. This is not something I invented in my mind. Academic religious history profs and popular writers assert it.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

D: You asked, "Did a Jew in 1000BCE believe in Hell."

Peter was talking about Sheol (David's grave), not torment

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

OP72 Luke's sourses were admittedly eclectic. There is no doubt that Matthew used Mark extensively.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7
    And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God's people. Rev. 5:8

The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of gold, as pure as transparent glass. Rev.21:21

• designs
    designs

V- this shows the evolution of beliefs, as would be expected of any culture, over thousands of years.

Jesus and Paul think there is conscious torment (Jesus being an actual instigator of said punishment), whereas Jews went from No to being influenced by other cultures that did believe such things.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

"Jesus and Paul think there is conscious torment (Jesus being an actual instigator of said punishment), whereas Jews went from No to being influenced by other cultures that did believe such things."

Could you be specific on both counts. Thanks

• jgnat
  • Perry
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Where would Jesus get the idea of hell as torment? He can't believe things unknown to his generation and locale. Jews have a much different take on Satan. He is not a bad figure. In fact, Satan is an advocate for humans. I would ask Jewish friends about a subject. They freed me from much JW tyranny. We do have genuine letters from Paul. Romans, 1 and 2 Corinthians. The ones that annoyed me the most Paul never wrote. It also taught me about cult think. All the time I attended KH, I never noticed a difference in writing style. I can tell the difference by myself now. It is rather obvious.

When you know the context of Paul's letters, they also improve. I despised Paul. My plan was to spit on Paul on behalf of all Christians, esp. women. Now it would be cool to discuss certain matters with him.

The NT has its share of what I call isolated wacky stories. I laugh so hard at them. There is no reason for the material. It may very well have happened.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit