Poll--How Many Believe In God, Do Not Believe or Are Not Sure Of His Existence?

by minimus 89 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/307/7/3/clarence_darrow_on_agnosticism_by_fiskefyren-d6sxpzr.jpg

...................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

There is no evidence to back up the existence of a god, any god.

Plenty of evidence subject that religion is bad and a destructive force in human history and in the world.

Ismael

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

I believe in a Creator. I see design in nature. We just happen to have a moon at night for instance.

It is just my opinion.

If the creator wanted to be seen, though, it wouldn't take much to get the attention of the entire earth.

I think that most of the population would be quite pleased for that to happen, actually.

Until it does...

Religion is an attempt to make certain what is entirely uncertain.

I would even add that Religion is a "Certainty Fantasy".

-TE

• Londo111
    Londo111

I believe in a God who is Love, but I’m not a fanatic or fundamentalist. I also believe in science.

There many things about both that we do not understand, especially about the infinite.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

No disrespect to the "I don't know" crowd or Clarence Darrow, but it has been amply proven to me that the Bible is false and that all of the gods of man have been created by men. No, I haven't personally debunked each and every one of them- Who has such time? But after looking at quite a few of them, I am satisfied that the gods in the minority of followers or completely out of followers (Zeus or Jupiter come to mind) have offered no proof of an actual existence.

By saying I am fully confident that no god exists, that doesn't shut out the thought that some deity will finally offer proof. I just won't hold my breath.

I fully accept that many people don't live with a god in their life whether they believe or not, so the vast majority of people who say "I don't know" or "Yes, God exists" live the same life as someone who says "No, God does not exist." I just pity the people who expend so much time serving their nonexistent god.

• millie210
    millie210

I believe in God.

I do not believe in God as taught by the JWs.

I know that my thinking is not big enough to encompass everything. Therefore I allow for what I dont know.

Men at one time thought the earth was flat. It isnt.

Simply "knowing" something is - or is not, has nothing to do with reality.

So therefore I hedge my bets.

If there is no God then I didnt lose either way.

• Patrick45
    Patrick45

Believing is not an option. The q. is whether you build your life in a positive way upon this faith. Remember, even the demons believe. This hardly gives them any positive outlook for their existence.

• prologos
    prologos

I am sure there is a creator, I am a deist. but even for deists their might be individually conceived ideas about that god that are flawed.

The creator I believe in-( really ABOUT)-, will be better understood, and can be defined by all we can understand in science only. The creator's apparent hiddeness is deliberate. The instructions (if any) of the good, developping shape of the universe are hidden in the laws of nature too. He does not want to be worshipped. Religion is a human invention, (one thing in the eden story the old folks got right).

The moment you have creation, existence, there can be interaction, balance with conscionsness, attraction, love. caring. I is all the the result in the possibilties of creation, existence. ---

I am very impressed with the posts above.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I think there's a good chance that there's a creator, but than again maybe there's not. There's so little information to go on that we might as well call it 50/50.

I'm 99-100% certain that the God of the Bible doesn't exist, after learning about the Bible's contradictions and uncertain translations, and seeing the ancient myths in Genesis for what they are.

I haven't considered any other religions, so I can't say anything about those gods.

• SAHS
    SAHS

Excellent thread, “minimus.”

I don’t believe in any of the “gods” which people worship, including that of the Bible (or any other “holy book”). This “God” and his son “Jesus” thing, I believe, is just another kind of cultural mythology – I call it “Christian mythology” (just as you have Hindu, native Indian, Egyptian, Greek, and Roman mythology). When you stop and look at the whole spectrum of religious beliefs, they always involve some kind of gods or demigods going back and forth between the earthly and heavenly/spiritual realms, performing some kind of magical feats or miracles, and divulging some kind of mystical or “divine,” hidden knowledge from the realm of the gods. Looking at it from a modern scientific, sociological, anthropological perspective, I think it’s all mythology (of one brand or another, depending where you were born). Religion is simply a projection, or reflection, of the human psyche, whereby all that is evil or good is represented by some devil or god which can punish or protect.

I believe that humanity at large is really in a sense living in a kind of “psychological thriller” in that there is a big “twist” at the end of it all – that “twist” being: there is no “god,” as such. There is simply nothing there – at least nothing that anybody thinks of.

I am, indeed, an agnostic. What this means for me is that I believe there could possibly be some kind of entity or set of processes which may fit the idea of “intelligent design,” but if and whatever that would be, I don’t believe it to be of any kind of form or nature which anybody seeks to describe in any contrived, humanly way. Whatever may be existing as such an entity or set of processes which humans would classify as “god” is not something which can be humanized, anthropomorphized, or otherwise “creaturized” in any form or manner whatsoever, any more than the photons (gage bosons) comprising electromagnetic radio waves. Regardless of any profound creativity or benevolence arising from the whole of what the concept of “god” may be, I believe that the entity of “god” would have a raw and fundamental essence and substance which is purely a mathematical phenomenon.

To put it as simply as I can: I believe that if there is anything which could fit the bill as being “god”; i.e., originator of all that exists, then I do not think that it would be anything like anybody thinks it to be. That’s the big twist: everybody is wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit