Poll--How Many Believe In God, Do Not Believe or Are Not Sure Of His Existence?

by minimus 89 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
  • cofty
    cofty

There're more "godless" here than not.

In this community are many people who have had to examine their beliefs carefully in order to escape a cult.

Honest and sustained scrutiny of faith claims will usually lead to a loss of belief. That is why religion values something they call "faith".

The vast majority of people in the world lazily go along with the superstitions they received from their parents without ever seriously questioning them.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

I'm an atheist.
    It can be a long, hard and scary road, but if you continue to examine evidence for a God, with the same degree of critical thinking you applied to recognising that the Watchtowers claims for having 'The Truth' were false, the result seems inevitable to me.
    Why worship a being you cannot fully believe even exists, and even if it did exist, whose morals you do not agree with?
    Even the heavily sanitised Jesus of popular Christianity may make people feel better to worship than the Jehovah/YHWH of the Bible, but is there any more reason to believe in something lacking in proof, just because it gives a false sense of security?
    If so, the next time I'm in a life-or-death situation, I'll follow Homer Simpsons example:
    "I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!"

• bigmac
    bigmac

i believe in my god

i created him

i painted a picture of a giant invisible man and hung it on the wall.

i worship him

he has given me every thing ive caught---err---got

he delivers me from evil--even though at times that can be bloody annoying.

• minimus
    minimus

Tel you what, if I'm in a life and death situation, I will still pray to God to help me out. And I have no problem with that.

• abbasgreta
    abbasgreta

Believer. Tendency 'strengthening'.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Non-believer. I find belief in something so clearly man-made to be impossible for me.

If the Judeo-Christian god is real, and the bible is true, then the bible shows him not worthy of reverence or worship. Even if Yahweh were real and really could offer everlasting life, I wouldn't want it under his rule or by his hand.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I believe in God. Kate xx

• donny
    donny

I do not believe there is enough evidence to believe in an a diety who interacts with the natural world. I cannot say for certain that there is nothing beyong the physical, but I am very certain that if such an entity does exist, it sure is not the being referred to as Jehovah, Yahweh or Allah.

Donny

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

In this community are many people who have had to examine their beliefs carefully in order to escape a cult.

Honest and sustained scrutiny of faith claims will usually lead to a loss of belief. That is why religion values something they call "faith".

The vast majority of people in the world lazily go along with the superstitions they received from their parents without ever seriously questioning them.

That's it in a nutshell.

In fact, religion just doesn't play a very notable role in the lives of most first-worlders today. Hardcore groups like Witnesses are an aberration, populated largely by people with various maladies like high anxiety and social dysfunctions. The average "religious" person today is not even really religious compared to those of yesteryear.

Religious people today can scratch their god itch by simply sitting in a pew for an hour once a week, whereas in the ancient past, religion was about desperately appeasing the gods through numerous superstitious practices, hoping to avoid dying horribly by violence or starvation. So in a sense, even "believers" today are pretty weaksauce in this modernized, comfy world we live in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit