Post JW Cult - JanH

by Imbue 80 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Imbue: I enjoyed Jan’s material. I have some comments regarding some points he made:

”I no longer post on JWD for a number of reasons, and I read far from all of the messages posted there, and I find it easier to see what is really going on in the role of observer.”
    I doubt that very many have ever kept up with the large number of posts. This is likely what causes many of the misunderstandings that arise, because if we join in on a heated exchange, it is likely after several threads have preceded it, and the lack of history may easily skew one’s interpretation of events ... I have witnessed this and been the butt of it a few times.

”The online xJW community is growing increasingly intolerant not only to JWs with genuine doubts, but also to anyone expressing views contrary to the "mainstream." There is a very angry crowd there, for obviously and understandable reasons, who will accept no dissent regarding their core dogma: that the WTS is responsible for all ills and problems in life.”
    I don’t see this as anything new. What is new is that the ratio of individuals who try hard to help keep balance is shrinking ... and getting attacked personally, driving them away.

”It was a time when attacks on the WTS could be reasonably criticized on fact and logic without the critic being labeled pro-JW. That seems to no longer be the case. A part of the reason is no doubt that anyone who does not conform to the mob is harassed to the degree they realize they have to find another forum for serious discussion.”
    Those times must have been many years ago. When I joined H20 years ago, I made some comments and asked questions about evolution, and instead of objective responses, I was told that I did not even have the right to ask questions until I was educated on the topic of evolution. I felt that such remarks were born of shear arrogance, elitism, and egotism.

”For example, I have found the criticism of the WTS Trinity brochure to be often ill-founded and unfair. Many does not seem to understand what is a misquotation and what is not. Surely, I believe the brochure is far from giving a correct picture of the development of Christology in the early Christian church, but the same can be argued about its opponents. Anyone expecting a objective treatment of this subject from the WTS is grossly unreasonable, and as an example of WTS atrocities or failings, this brochure doesn't even make the top thousand.”
    I commented on the recent thread about this, but took no stand, other than to mention Robert Finnerty’s work in how he exposed the Society’s misuse of quotes of the early Church Father’s and their heavy reliance on Lampson’s work, which is questionable. As for the Trinity doctrine itself, there are good arguments on both sides. I am neutral toward the doctrine.

”Also, a number of bogus arguments are repeatedly posted. Earlier, more knowledgable people rebutted or at least questioned these arguments. Even the totally bogus "russell was a freemason" argument seems to go unanswered these days.”
    Agreed. I use to comment with debate when these conspiracy theories were posted, but now when I see them, my eyes glaze over, and I generally avoid these types of posts.

”Perhaps the most common bad argument is accusing JWs of having "conditional love". I will argue that all love is conditional. I doubt many would continue to love a person abusing them in the worst possible way. The WT problem is not that love is conditional, but that it is conditional on factors totally external to the relationship. JWs love on the condition that the other remain a member of the sect. Of course, by now the argument no longer fits into a catchy slogan, which is probably the reason the misconstrued phrase keeps being repeated.”
    Generally I agree. I also think that with the greater volume of new ex-JWs, that we are witnessing more who are going through a grieving period, and for those of us who have healed for the most part, this may appear differently to us today than it did when we first left the religion. I recall some years ago the Society published in the Watchtower that only JWs had ‘true’ Christian godly love, whereas ‘worldly’ people only had ‘limited’ love. The friends I made in the Watchtower, I still consider friends, and if they left the religion I would be there for them ... and I am sure that their love and friendship would be as always. Yet, because the ‘organization’ stands in the way of a complete and fulfilling friendship, the limits of such friendship are conditional, more so than they would have been were those friendships made outside the religion.

”I have also, frankly, had some mixed feelings on making the child abuse cases the primary focus of the attack on the WTS. As it is now, it will probably be the worst crisis ever hitting the WTS, and given the criminal neglect of the organization I have no tears for them. Even more important, this exposure will probably do much good in saving other children from abuse and empowering existing victims to take back their lives. Also, some of my initial fears have largely been answered by the excellent way the people in what i will call "the silentlambs network" have conducted the project. They seem to have avoided the countless pitfalls such an emotional subject brings up. The bogus or doubtful allegations that always surfaces in such cases have received a calm, critical evaluation. That this project has succeeded so far is, ironically, because it has been run as an "elite" operation (oh how they hate that expression!) largely hidden from all interested parties, including both the WTS and the 'mob'.”
    SilentLambs and those of us who have been involved at times in the middle, and now for me mostly on the periphery, it has been handled generally well. There are a lot of abuse victims, and many who express strong feelings may be releasing anger and hurt that had no other outlet before ... and now they have a mechanism to speak out ... and in time this will subside.

”This is about to change as the Dateline exposure hits the airwaves (hopefully next week). It will go mainstream, and this deeply emotional subject will take all the classical characteristics of a media feeding frenzy. I have been deeply disturbed by the extreme attacks on the eminent sociologist Rodney Stark I have read on JWD. Some have openly suggested trying to smear him by arguing that any positive sentence about the WTS -- which was quotable when the compulsory brakets and ellipsis was employed -- means that he somehow supports child abuse. I don't doubt that he has already received hate mail from some mob members. If Stark or other scholars fails to see the real, ugly truth behind the window-dressing in the Watchtower, it can at least be partially blamed on the hysterical mob.”
    I don’t recall much of Stark, so I will have to go back and see what he said. But sometimes, discretion is the better part of valor ... and maybe those who would try and debate this issue need to wait until some of the heat cools a little.

”Finally, a word on "trolls". H2O in the past, and JWD now (and probably WOF in the future), is of course very vulnerable to real "trolls". The word troll originally refers to someone posting a provocative message on a public forum just to hook people into angry retorts, when they themselves do not mean what they say. This last part seems to have escaped the attention of many board members who repeatly yells "troll." It has become the catch-all insult to everyone who posts opinions they do not like. The hyper-sensitivity to "trolls" is IMO a much greater threat to free exchange of ideas than the genuine trolls.”
    It seems to me that ‘Trolls’ on ex-JW forums evolved into those JWs who post with no other purpose than to heckle ex-JWs. But I agree that at times, the label ‘Troll’ has been used in an attempt to discredit those who hold a minority view.

All that said, I find that there is a certain double standard at times. When some old-guard ‘elite’ became so full of themselves they started doing much of the above to others ... and when some got sick of having bovine excrement dumped on them, they started dishing it back as it came to them ... and for this the ‘old-guard’ elite couldn’t handle it, and started acting as if they were being persecuted, as though they never said anything negative and hurtful or in ‘ad hominem’ style made absurd arguments. This became all too obvious in a situation I got into the middle of sometime ago, and is something I hope never to get into again.

Thank Jan H for the insightful essay, and let him know that we miss his comments here on JWD.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Hey Andi, in barrrom brawls you can still throw jello. Just make sure they are jello shooters.

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • herbert
    herbert

imbue2,

The essay is generally correct. I'm also disturbed when an objective assessment of the WTS is regarded as being pro JW. However, I do take issue with this statement in the essay:

I have been deeply disturbed by the extreme attacks on the eminent sociologist Rodney Stark I have read on JWD. Some have openly suggested trying to smear him by arguing that any positive sentence about the WTS -- which was quotable when the compulsory brakets and ellipsis was employed -- means that he somehow supports child abuse.
    The video and transcript, unless they have literally been faked, show that Stark was not misquoted. Now, he was probably misled and so he needs to reassess the situation. If he refuses, then it is legitimate to point out his refusal. Academic and scholar or not, he is contributing to a system that causes great harm through its policies on pedophiles, blood etc. That Stark was somehow used to speak directly on one of these issues does not excuse his responsibilities. Further, it's probably doing him a favor to make him aware of the Dateline program. At least he has a chance to modify or retract his statements and withdraw his support - that is if has any sense at all.

herbert

edited to make clear that I wasn't quoting Imbue2 but from the original essay.

• imbue2
    imbue2

Herbert thank you for your response. However, could you please say who you are quoting.

• ballistic
    ballistic

<can I come out now?>

• imbue2
    imbue2

anytime you want ballistic

• herbert
    herbert

Imbue2,

Sorry - I was quoting from the essay not from what you said directly. Should have made that clear. I will edit the post too.

herbert

• Prisca
    Prisca
    Finally, a word on "trolls". H2O in the past, and JWD now (and probably WOF in the future), is of course very vulnerable to real "trolls".

"Probably"???? "Probably"????

LOTFLOL.... I don't think so Jan!!!

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

Last time I checked this was a public forum. Fokes can say whatever thay want. Thay may look dumb doing it, you can make them look dumb for doing it, but thay/we/I can say whatever we want(for the most part). Say it with me people PUBLIC FORUM...

I think sometimes peoples bigest problem is stoping to think before thay hit, Reply To Topic To be sure it's something that thay relly want to say to somebody else...

Just my 2 cents...

• Simon
    Simon

On first reading I agreed with a lot of what JanH said and thought he made some good points. However, since re-reading it a few times I have decided that whether it is correct or not largely depends on your viewpoint and current outlook.

This is just a collection of random thoughts I have had on the online ex-jw community over the last months. I have at times been heavily involved in both support groups and general anti-WT work, but have become largely detached from it over the last few years. I still debate issues I am interested in online, and pay attention to the developments, but I am mostly here for social reasons.
    It must be old age

I no longer post on JWD for a number of reasons, and I read far from all of the messages posted there, and I find it easier to see what is really going on in the role of observer.
    We have missed you posts but I'm surprised you didn't choose to post this yourself. The way it was posted by imbue (esp the opening comment) really did not do much to start things being discussed in a positive way. Whether intentional or not, I find a few of imbue's posts to be like that lately.

The online xJW community is growing increasingly intolerant not only to JWs with genuine doubts, but also to anyone expressing views contrary to the "mainstream." There is a very angry crowd there, for obviously and understandable reasons, who will accept no dissent regarding their core dogma: that the WTS is responsible for all ills and problems in life.
    This may be how you see it because, as you have already admitted, you no longer want to be so involved in the 'anti' aspect of things but are more interested in the social aspects. I don't think the forum is any more 'anti' JW than H2O or other places have been at times and I think if people are more than willing to engage with people who have different opinions. Sure, things get heated esp. as a lot of recent talk has been about an emotive subject like child abuse and so many people have been hurt by the WT but considering what a lot of people have been through we are a surprisingly nice bunch IMHO and are very supportive.

It was a time when attacks on the WTS could be reasonably criticized on fact and logic without the critic being labeled pro-JW. That seems to no longer be the case. A part of the reason is no doubt that anyone who does not conform to the mob is harassed to the degree they realize they have to find another forum for serious discussion.
    I think you are mistaken if you believe that "another forum" is the hot bed of serious debate and centre for logical argument that you make out. Last time I looked it just seemed like people were bitching about us over here and how obsessed we were with them. Either that or answering their own threads to keep them alive. .

Like most things they go in cycles. We get serious, decide things are too serious and make jokes, then we decide we're too shallow and get all serious again. If you are out of phase with the cycle it can be frustrating ('Simons General Forum Cycle Theory').

For example, I have found the criticism of the WTS Trinity brochure to be often ill-founded and unfair. Many does not seem to understand what is a misquotation and what is not. Surely, I believe the brochure is far from giving a correct picture of the development of Christology in the early Christian church, but the same can be argued about its opponents. Anyone expecting a objective treatment of this subject from the WTS is grossly unreasonable, and as an example of WTS atrocities or failings, this brochure doesn't even make the top thousand.
    I may be dumb but I fail to see your point here. The Trinity brochure "doesn't make the top thousand" when it comes to WT attrocities but it's the best example you could come up with of incorrect criticism of the WTS? The trinity brochure is seriously flawed and people point thnigs out but I dont expect everyone to get everything right all the time.

Also, a number of bogus arguments are repeatedly posted. Earlier, more knowledgable people rebutted or at least questioned these arguments. Even the totally bogus "russell was a freemason" argument seems to go unanswered these days.
    Perhaps this is because JW apologists are very thin on the ground these days. If you are a JW and you are on the internet then chances are you are on your way out or don't really have the inclination to defend them. Many times though people do post replies either as links to other threads or to other sites.

Perhaps the most common bad argument is accusing JWs of having "conditional love". I will argue that all love is conditional. I doubt many would continue to love a person abusing them in the worst possible way. The WT problem is not that love is conditional, but that it is conditional on factors totally external to the relationship. JWs love on the condition that the other remain a member of the sect. Of course, by now the argument no longer fits into a catchy slogan, which is probably the reason the misconstrued phrase keeps being repeated.
    You start by saying that "claims of JWs having conditional love" are bad arguments and then go on to tell us how JWs have conditional love?! Maybe I'm being dumb again 'cause I don't see your point.

I have also, frankly, had some mixed feelings on making the child abuse cases the primary focus of the attack on the WTS. As it is now, it will probably be the worst crisis ever hitting the WTS, and given the criminal neglect of the organization I have no tears for them. Even more important, this exposure will probably do much good in saving other children from abuse and empowering existing victims to take back their lives. Also, some of my initial fears have largely been answered by the excellent way the people in what i will call "the silentlambs network" have conducted the project. They seem to have avoided the countless pitfalls such an emotional subject brings up. The bogus or doubtful allegations that always surfaces in such cases have received a calm, critical evaluation. That this project has succeeded so far is, ironically, because it has been run as an "elite" operation (oh how they hate that expression!) largely hidden from all interested parties, including both the WTS and the 'mob'.
    Ah ... again "the mythical mob" (BTW: anyone who has not yet joined up for mob membership then please email me).

You say you have doubts about making it the primary focus of attck on the WTS? I didn't know that it was. There is no 'focus of attack' but rather something that needs to be highlighted and changed to protect the innocent and vulnerable. Just as exposing abuse within the catholic church is not an attack *upon* the church per-se although those within it may see it as such.

We are not here to attack the WTS but rather to offer support for those who have left or who want to leave.

I agree that the people involved with silentlambs have done a great job and emotive topics have largely been debated in as calm a way as could be expected but I do not believe there is any kind of 'elite' operation being conducted.

This is about to change as the Dateline exposure hits the airwaves (hopefully next week). It will go mainstream, and this deeply emotional subject will take all the classical characteristics of a media feeding frenzy. I have been deeply disturbed by the extreme attacks on the eminent sociologist Rodney Stark I have read on JWD. Some have openly suggested trying to smear him by arguing that any positive sentence about the WTS -- which was quotable when the compulsory brakets and ellipsis was employed -- means that he somehow supports child abuse. I don't doubt that he has already received hate mail from some mob members. If Stark or other scholars fails to see the real, ugly truth behind the window-dressing in the Watchtower, it can at least be partially blamed on the hysterical mob.
    Again, you accuse people of being a mob. This is really an unfair use of negative words - why not use something more neutral like 'group' or more positive like 'volunteers'?

Yes, there will be a lot of media attention and perhaps, as it appears, they are already lining up their soundbites and quotes. Anyone in the position of being quotable as an 'eminent sociologist' should I believe be absolutely sure of the facts when commenting on something as serious as child abuse coverups by a large religious organisation.

Either he is making comments without finding out the facts in which case he doesn't deserve to be labelled eminent (IMHO) or the WTS is misquoting him (as the have others about the NWT bible and earthquakes) in which case I'm sure he would like to be informed of it and given the chance to correct the misquote for the record.

You again make a statement accusing people of being 'mob members' and of sending hate mail even though I am not aware of any proof that this has happened. He would be a fool not to expect some feedback by commenting on something like this!

Finally, a word on "trolls". H2O in the past, and JWD now (and probably WOF in the future), is of course very vulnerable to real "trolls". The word troll originally refers to someone posting a provocative message on a public forum just to hook people into angry retorts, when they themselves do not mean what they say. This last part seems to have escaped the attention of many board members who repeatly yells "troll." It has become the catch-all insult to everyone who posts opinions they do not like. The hyper-sensitivity to "trolls" is IMO a much greater threat to free exchange of ideas than the genuine trolls.
    "like the poor and the stupid, trolls will always be with us"

I agree that calling people trolls without reason is wrong which is why I've posted another reminder about not doing it. However, I think it would be wrong to give potential trolls free reign - there have been several instances of people creating 'personas' to elicit sympathy and support, even donations, which have been shown to be fictional. This is damaging to legitimate victims by making people less sympathetic.

The line between keeping trolls out and not falsely accusing people is a fine and difficult one which we will all continue to walk. Hopefully, by keeping to the issues rather than the people it will help but as so much of the discussion is so often about giving support to people it is difficult.

Thanks for you comments. I'm sure you will disagree with some (or all) of what I've said and come may take exception with my comments. Remember though, it is just how I see things right now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit