JWs getting "Footloose" at the Kingdom Hall

by AndDontCallMeShirley 75 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sparky1
    sparky1

I am certainly on the same page as And Don'tCallMeShirley. We will see changes that would shock our Witness parents if they were still alive today. When I was a Bethelite in the mid 1970's one of Audrey Knorrs' friends told me that Audrey Knorr had confided to her that Nathan Knorr was dead set against the Elder arrangement and the GOVERNING BODY arrangement (which is common knowledge now thanks to CRISIS OF CONSCIENCE) because he felt that these changes would take the Organization in the wrong direction. Yes AlphaMan now that they have the power GOVERNING BODY 2.0 is just getting warmed up.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

SHEPHERDING THE FLOCK OF GOD BOOK, pg.127, par 6,7 Weddings.
    " 6. Any decoration of the Kingdom Hall or rearrangement of the chairs must be approved. ONLY music selected from Kingdom Melodies or that is found in our songbook may be used. 7. "should reflect dignity, honor and seriousness.......It is not appropriate to tell humorous stories or read poems simply to entertain or amuse the Audience."

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Both my wife and I agreed that it's not that we're against JW's having fun or loosening up the reigns on what happens in the Kingdom Hall. It's just that we were so restricted. At every turn we were given Biblical reasons for those restrictions and stern warnings about not wanting to be imitating the Churches of Christendom or the world in any way.

If they'd just once acknowledge in their literature or from the platform, that they realize they were too strict, apologize for it and admit they are loosining the reigns a bit, you could accept these changes. It's when they just suddenly do an about face without any explaination, it makes the restrictions we lived under and the sacrafices we made, look like a huge joke.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

and all the money, time sacrificed and hard work building those kh's, we were told there was no way to use that sacred building for gatherings, we had to rent, rent, rent venues and covered pavilians if we wanted to have some food and let folks dance to some music.

NOW all of a sudden it's fine to crank up the boom box and kick up their heels - IN THE KINGDOM HALL!!! Howcome they can do it now, but us back in the 80s and 90s were given disgusted looks if the thought even entered our heads.

WT is simply a cult full of hypocrites from the top to the bottom.

Marina

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

I've told this story before (sorry to be repetitive) but my unbaptized Father lived like a JW and died not taking a blood transfusion about 2 years before the Blood Fractions Ruling was made. He wasn't allowed to be baptized because he wasn't a publisher. He was painfully shy and couldn't ever get the courage to go from door to door try as he may. After he died a horrible death in a modern hospital with every possible means to save him, the Brothers comforted us saying we'd be seeing him again soon in the New System because he died faithful to Jehovah.

We asked if we could have his Memorial at the Kingdom Hall. They said it wouldn't be allowed because he wasn't baptized. I said "So he'll be allowed in Jehovah's New System, but in this system his memorial can't be held held in the Kingdom Hall ? "

His Memorial was held in a rented hall with his JW family and friends in attendance and an Elder giving the talk. When I see this video, although I don't mind that they are having fun, I can't help but feel a little angry at the irony of their rules and how they pick and choose to apply them.

• Violia
    Violia

lol, cute guys

by the sound of a few of those screams you would have thought they might be at Chippendales .

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Can someone post this to youtube, so that I can "safely" send it as a link to some brothers and sisters?

I want to send it as an innocent "wow! look how fun the international convention will be for us in Melbourne!"

A back-handed thought provoking stir-tactic!..

(I cant send them a facebook link from our forum without it looking sus...)

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

@Safeathome:

"Some of the newer ones in may not understand why some of us "oldies" find this so out of the norm for what is allowed at a KH. It's not that we are "just hatin'", we are in total disbelief that this would be allowed."

Exactly.

Not hatin, just that we were lectured over and over again, with lots of patronizing language, that the kingdom hall was a sacred place, a place of worship, we were different, not like the churches.

Well, guess what.

• losingit
    losingit

Stuckinarut it's already on fb, the link takes you there, i believe. I remember seeing other fb comments from those still in.

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Our video for the Texas 2-step in the Kingdom Hall

http://youtu.be/FUfFC_BMkWM?list=UU_7ou_iThmk2wGWJUE-fKug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit