Party in the kingdom hall!

by StephaneLaliberte 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Magnum
    Magnum

daringhart13, I was in for 30 years, but I was always reasonable; I retained my ability to think critically. Some JWs knew that I was honest and reasonable and would come to me and say things they wouldn't say to others who were fully assimilated into the borg. There were always things that didn't seem right to me and some things I outright disagreed with. I patiently and humbly chugged along for thirty years waiting for my questions to be answered and for things to get better, but you know how that goes in JWdom.

Anyway, I think that I and probably you and a lot of people on this site are a different breed. We had the strength to resisit being completely assimilated. We ultimately had the strength to break free. Most, I feel, don't.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

My take is that this is definitely out of the ordinary for a Kingdom Hall, but certainly nothing wrong with it. One of the failures of the WT religion has been the inability to connect to people, whether through emotions or music or whatever it takes. The religion is so dry and boring (and the recorded kingdom songs are terrible) it is no wonder that the young people leave in droves. If the video is an indication of the way it is going, then it only means they are changing to what works. Nearly every church in the area where I live will have live music and events like what is in the video nearly every week. Some of the local churches pack in 800-1000 people every week.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

skin, I have changed the name of the video to be generic.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Can anybody call that congregation and ask if they even asked the bethel what they though of this?

Jehovah's Witnesses Southgate Trenton Congregation

18755 Civic Park Dr, Riverview, MI 48193 (734) 285-8150
  • jws
    jws

They may be amatuer (and remind me when I went visiting churches, the wannabe performers).

The 60's songs I liked, the Kingdom Melodies ones sucked and you could almost feel the energy drain during those.

But I honestly enjoyed seeing this. I saw more joy than I ever saw at a Kingdom hall before. When you get people moving like that, they're enjoying themselves.

If the local elders dreamed this up and did it on their own, good for them.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

To be honnest with everyone, even when I was in, our hall rented external reception halls for congregation parties. At the time, I was thinking: Why are we not doing this at the hall? But then I answered myself with all the publications and talks that went over how sacred the kingdom Hall was and never thought I could see this happening.

The fact that it is happening is not a problem to me, however, I still would be somewhat surprised that the WT would condone this. If they do, well, they are indeed moving forward. If they remove the disfellowshipping arrengement, I might actually think about going back.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

That was really weird. My take of the JW religion now?

What would the next level of craziness above bat-shit crazy be called?

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

They have TOTALLY ruined the Happy Song for me!!!!!!

What a strange flurry of emotion watching that created!

• Magnum
    Magnum

dropoffyourkeylee: My take is that this is definitely out of the ordinary for a Kingdom Hall, but certainly nothing wrong with it

I don't think there's anything morally wrong with it; it's just plain corny and stupid. That group, "The Theocratic Revue", was like a Saturday Night Live skit. They were just plain awful. It was embarassing to watch. They were trying to be something they're not. JWs aren't hip and cool, and when they try to be, it just comes across as embarassingly corny.

And then when the whole kingdom hall broke out in that corny, group Penticostal-like dancing... oh my God - that was just embarassing. I don't think a lot of those people were actually having fun. They were just going along with the crowd. They don't know how to actually have fun. They just go along with the group; they give in to peer pressure. Anybody who thinks Penticostal-like dancing as was depicted is fun has an idea of fun different from the one I have. I used to have to go to JW get-togethers and go along with along their junk - like playing their stupid JW games (and they coould come up with some goofy stuff). I had to fake as though I was having fun, but in reality, I couldn't wait to leave.

It is, to me, wrong in the sense that JWs say that "imminently" most of the world's population is going to be destroyed and that they, and only they, have the key to survival. Be that the case, they should be using every available minute to warn the world in a serious, dignified, bold manner - not using their time in a frivolous manner. The drummer for the group said they spent a lot of time practicing; I say they should have spent that time warning the world since they believe its end is imminent.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Magnum I don't think we did see the same one as you noticed the one you watched is a shorter version of the one in the op. I watched the longer one. To me they have been abused by a mind control cult. Many will still get out. Many were dragged along as small children as I was and know nothing else, by design, because of the information control. I just see human beings. I am treated condescendingly too by my JW family but I do believe that if they ever get out they will be mortified by what they've done to me.

I don't think a lot of those people were actually having fun. They were just going along with the crowd. They don't know how to actually have fun. They just go along with the group; they give in to peer pressure. - Magnum

Yes exactly but peer pressure is very strong especially when you have been fordidden friends outside the group from childhood on. The GB who have been allowed to meet a wide range of people, have travelled all over the world and some who have degrees, they are responsible for controlling the information to these ordinary people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit